Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM

483 posts, read 410,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Two places I like are:

Michelina's Italian Cuisine - Ristorante Costa Campagnia at 32nd & Shea. A little high priced, but authentic food with daily specials and gaudy Italian decor. They will make just about anything you ask for (within reason) if it is not on the menu.

Guidos Italian Deli, Meats and Deli Near Scottsdale Rd & Shea. This is half restaurant / half deli. Good place for casual meal, lunch or dinner. Good sandwiches, decent pizza, desserts. Real rude Italians. You will find some items that you won't find in other places.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 12:52 PM

483 posts, read 410,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Some good suggestions in the Phoenix area...if you are ever in Prescott we ate at this gem last week:

Home
Thanks!

Old 03-20-2017, 01:11 PM

164 posts, read 184,437 times
I occasionally ate at Riazzi's with my family since the early 1950's. They have moved to Tempe from the 53rd. St. and Van Buren location where I ate as a kid. I always thought it was good and the current prices look reasonable.

Riazzis - Home

Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,032,558 times
Ristorante Arrivederci at Scottsdale and Thunderbird is one of our favorites. The waiters are usually older Italian speaking gentlemen wearing the traditional long server aprons. Here is the website:

~ Ristorante Arrivederci in Scottsdale ~

I also second the suggestion of Pomo's. They are one of the top 5 best places for pizza in all of Arizona in my opinion. The rest of the menu is excellent as well.

Pomo | Forno Fabbri

Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,465,745 times
It's always difficult to say if a place is "authentic." Does that mean it serves food actually found in Italy? The Italy of today? The Italy of 100 years ago? Pre-1492 Italy (no tomatoes)? A particular region of Italy? Or maybe the food created by Italian immigrants to the USA?

Likewise, George Costanza reminds us of why mom-and-pop aren't always the best. https://youtu.be/KGiAp6a6-ak?t=28s

With those caveats in mind, I recommend Marcellino. It's a bit upscale, but it is run by an actual couple, so I guess it's mom-and-pop in that respect. The pastas are made on the premises and consistently excellent in my experience.

Marcellino Ristorante

I'll also second the recommendation of Pomo's location in Downtown Phoenix.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,370,405 times
I can second Tommaso's. Great ambience, great place for a dressed-up date night or so forth. Just has a really nice menu and classy vibe.

I like Nick's Italian a lot, they have a few locations. I'd say they're at least somewhat authentic, e.g. they have a lot of fish/seafood choices and they're always busy, but I'm not Italian so I don't know for sure. I just remember when I went to Italy being amazed how much fish and how little pasta there was in the restaurants, haha.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:11 PM

52 posts, read 146,119 times
My friends at Ristorante Guissepe! (Scottsdale Rd and Thunderbird) Cash only, no cards and BYOB, no corking fee.

For pizza, I would also say POMO. Most authentic I've had in the US. YUMMM

Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 PM

296 posts, read 365,134 times
A +1 for DeFalco's for an Italian deli and grocery. I used to work for a Sicilian family at their restaurant and I got spoiled with the good food. The vast majority of American Italian restaurants I end up super disappointed.

I'll be following this thread though and am very interested to hear what you think when you try a place.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Two places I like are:

Michelina's Italian Cuisine - Ristorante Costa Campagnia at 32nd & Shea. A little high priced, but authentic food with daily specials and gaudy Italian decor. They will make just about anything you ask for (within reason) if it is not on the menu.

Guidos Italian Deli, Meats and Deli Near Scottsdale Rd & Shea. This is half restaurant / half deli. Good place for casual meal, lunch or dinner. Good sandwiches, decent pizza, desserts. Real rude Italians. You will find some items that you won't find in other places.
Guido's sucks. They boast "Chicago" on it, but pfft. Its not. Its weak. I TRULY think all the "Chicago" Italian joints are here because they failed in Chicago against all the true Italian joints and couldn't hold a candle. Here they might do good, but I wouldn't recommend Guido's.

Pomo is a far better option! Its not very Italian inside with its modern look, but the pizza (from what I hear) is very close to what you find in Italy.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,290,684 times
It advertises itself as a pizza joint (and it sells pizza too), but Amalfi Pizza has some great Italian food. It reminds me of the Italian food I've had in NYC, seems pretty legit. Owned by Sergio and Giuseppe Miele, who owned Miele's in Tempe.

Amalfi Pizzeria

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area