Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:45 PM

48 posts, read 41,348 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you guys get this type of thread ALL of time so for that I apologize but I figure you all are probably pros at it at this point. Here's my story and from there I'd like some advice.

I'm from Michigan. I enjoy the summers here, however I despise the winters. I'm not really a big boating person so I could do without it. I wouldn't want to go to the southeast because I dislike the humidity. Granted videos and pictures can only do so much but I love the terrain and landscape from what I've seen of Arizona. I'm not trying to get overly involved in politics but it does play a part, while Michigan isn't a particularly anti-gun state it sounds like Arizona has one of the biggest states for gun culture which is a HUGE bonus to me. I handle the heat well and let's say I felt it was too hot during the day, well I wouldn't mind walking out at night and having it be 80-90 degrees I'd feel fine during the summer months, as opposed to not wanting to step outside 25-50% of the year any time of the day here. And the roads here suck and I've heard the roads in Arizona are pretty good (can anybody confirm?)

I am 29 years old and am an RN with a few years of experience at a hospital that I enjoy and it pays well enough for me despite it being one of the lower paying hospitals in the area, but based off of a google search it seems like the average pay in the Phoenix area is higher than the average pay in the metro Detroit area. So in other words I'm sure I would not have an issue getting a job. I'm single and don't have any kids so I don't really have any commitments in that regard either. I don't currently own a house but am saving up for one and plan to buy in the next year or two.

Here is the only thing holding me really back from at least wanting to give it a shot. My parents, my brother, and my two closest friends. All of them I am close with and in that regards I'd be coming here completely by myself which I am sure could get lonely and I would feel bad for "leaving" the people I just mentioned. I'm a nice guy (this is what others tell me) and I like to be sociable (in certain situations) but I hear that people in the west coast can be very private and aren't as sociable. Does it feel essentially impossible to meet with people?

If I were to move it certainly seems like the east side of the valley is the way to go. Scottsdale looks too costly for me. The rest that sound good to me would be Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, and Gilbert (I'm assuming this would be most people's list for east valley). I'd prefer to be around an area with shops, gym, and areas to hang out and meet others. I would also prefer to not be around only elderly, retirees, or exclusively married families. In other words I'd like people that I have some in common with and can form friendships, relationships, etc. Any advice in regards to that or pros/cons or other general advice on the towns I listed?

I know it's a lengthy post but wanted to get a lot of info out that I can think of right now. Any and all advice in appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 AM

296 posts, read 365,507 times
Hi, Anglefan!

From my experience the roads are much better here than they are in the Midwest (including Michigan). I suspect that is for a multitude of reasons: rarely any freezing temps, no snow plows and salt on roads, and weather that allows for roads to be fixed at any time of year.

For the social scene here.... I'm not going to be the best to answer. I'm an introvert and I moved here with my husband. I have though lived on the West Coast (SF Bay area), here, and the Midwest. People here seem to be friendly enough. I moved out to California only knowing one person there. Meeting people in a new place takes time, effort, and patience. The strong relationships that you have in Michigan likely took years to build. You aren't going to find that right away here. To me, having strong relationships with other people in the country helps if you stay in contact. But you are likely to be lonely here for a bit. How long is going to be up to you and your expectations.

Other people will give their opinions on the areas I'm sure. I'd suggest Tempe because there is a larger percentage of young people because of the university.

Good luck on your decision!

Old 03-26-2017, 11:05 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,717,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglefan View Post
I hear that people in the west coast can be very private and aren't as sociable. Does it feel essentially impossible to meet with people?
Seriously? Here is the difference between the Midwest and the Southwest.

Midwest people are outgoing, but they're not friendly. They act friendly, but they're not looking for friends because they already have friends and relatives surrounding them for the last 20 years or more.

In the Southwest, people are friendly, but not outgoing. So you maybe have to work a little bit harder than you would in the Midwest to make connections, but you're likely to make good ones when you do. People like their privacy out here, instead of the nosy Midwest where everyone seems to make your business, theirs. I'm exaggerating a bit, but not much.

It's also a much more independent area on the whole. You see tons of people heading out to the mountains with one mountain bike on their car. You see single people on trails alone. It's not a solitary state, but it's a state where the expectation isn't to have to join a group or a team for every single thing you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglefan View Post
The rest that sound good to me would be Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, and Gilbert (I'm assuming this would be most people's list for east valley). I'd prefer to be around an area with shops, gym, and areas to hang out and meet others. I would also prefer to not be around only elderly, retirees, or exclusively married families.
Does Gilbert post billboards and ads in major transplant states for Arizona or something?! Everyone who has never even been here, mentions Gilbert. Please keep in mind that a lot of people move here from out of state and pick one place, then they recommend it to everyone because they never lived anywhere else and think they've got some sort of higher moral authority because they picked [wherever]. There are a lot of nice places to live, but as a 29 year old single guy who wants to meet people, Gilbert ain't it.

First visit, a few times, then if you move, rent for a year or two until you find the place you like.

Last edited by 43north87west; 03-26-2017 at 11:15 AM..

Old 03-26-2017, 06:10 PM

80 posts, read 261,702 times
Do it while you are young!
You will miss your family ( I do) and all vacation time will be spent visiting them or taking time off to entertain them when they visit you! BUT with all of the technology available these days you can stay in contact as much (or as little) as you want!
Don't count out Scottsdale, there are some places that are reasonable.
DEFINITELY find someplace close to work!!!! I can't stress this enough! A 25 mile commute may not seem bad until you spend every morning and every night sitting in stop and go traffic for 60-90 minutes!
Yes, the roads are MUCH better than the midwest. (Iowa transplant-I know a thing or two about potholes!)
For what its worth-there is a Mayo clinic down here too!

Old 03-26-2017, 06:55 PM

33 posts, read 34,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
There are a lot of nice places to live, but as a 29 year old single guy who wants to meet people, Gilbert ain't it..
My thing about Gilbert is it seems quieter than other parts of the metro. I am from west texas and I enjoy some quiet once in a while. And not only that but I will want a family one day. I hopefully can find someone from the area that doesn't mind being around a transplant and whos family will like me enough to adopt me in to their clan but if that was to happen. In my few days of exploring different areas of the metro Gilbert seemed to be more my style and if not Gilbert than Chandler follows close by. Mesa is an option but I think Gilbert would be the place because I do eventually want to settle down and raise a family. I understand you don't want house parties in Gilbert. So you are the type that gonna like to party and have rowdy friends over you can take that elsewhere but if you just want to chill and find a job and maybe a SO go for it. Is that a problem for anyone else?

Old 03-27-2017, 06:13 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,717,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebpro5 View Post
My thing about Gilbert is it seems quieter than other parts of the metro. I am from west texas and I enjoy some quiet once in a while. And not only that but I will want a family one day. I hopefully can find someone from the area that doesn't mind being around a transplant and whos family will like me enough to adopt me in to their clan but if that was to happen. In my few days of exploring different areas of the metro Gilbert seemed to be more my style and if not Gilbert than Chandler follows close by. Mesa is an option but I think Gilbert would be the place because I do eventually want to settle down and raise a family. I understand you don't want house parties in Gilbert. So you are the type that gonna like to party and have rowdy friends over you can take that elsewhere but if you just want to chill and find a job and maybe a SO go for it. Is that a problem for anyone else?
The main problem is the running Gilbert-centric assertion that living anywhere but Gilbert means dealing with party houses and bar fights, that people who live elsewhere have rowdy friends, and that other places are inferior places to settle down and/or raise a family. Classic confirmation bias.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:36 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,984,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebpro5 View Post
Metro Gilbert huh?

House parties exist in Gilbert just like they do anywhere else. This city is primarily homogenous.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,986,066 times
IMO, leaving family for better roads and warmer weather isn't worth it. Family is the ONLY thing you have in life, don't leave them for smoother roads, its just not worth it.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 AM

43 posts, read 48,835 times
I'd consider south Scottsdale (south of Indian School Rd). It's cheaper than the rest of Scottsdale, and it's close everything. I'd also look at central or midtown Phoenix. It all depends on where you end up working though.

Unless I was settling down with a family, I wouldn't consider Mesa, Chandler, or Gilbert...but that's just me.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:54 AM

48 posts, read 41,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Does Gilbert post billboards and ads in major transplant states for Arizona or something?! Everyone who has never even been here, mentions Gilbert. Please keep in mind that a lot of people move here from out of state and pick one place, then they recommend it to everyone because they never lived anywhere else and think they've got some sort of higher moral authority because they picked [wherever]. There are a lot of nice places to live, but as a 29 year old single guy who wants to meet people, Gilbert ain't it.

First visit, a few times, then if you move, rent for a year or two until you find the place you like.
This is based off of google searches for me. Every time I check out best places in to live in Arizona it's one of the top results. How do you think Chandler compares? Would you say it's better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirlsuz View Post
Do it while you are young!
You will miss your family ( I do) and all vacation time will be spent visiting them or taking time off to entertain them when they visit you! BUT with all of the technology available these days you can stay in contact as much (or as little) as you want!
Don't count out Scottsdale, there are some places that are reasonable.
DEFINITELY find someplace close to work!!!! I can't stress this enough! A 25 mile commute may not seem bad until you spend every morning and every night sitting in stop and go traffic for 60-90 minutes!
Yes, the roads are MUCH better than the midwest. (Iowa transplant-I know a thing or two about potholes!)
For what its worth-there is a Mayo clinic down here too!
The fact that I can text/facebook chat/skype chat/facetime etc would make it much easier for me I think. I feel like my price range is roughly in the 200k region for a house. I might be able to talk someone down a little bit or find a good deal, but based off just a simple zillow search it seems like the options for anything decent in Scottsdale are pretty limited till you get into about 300k which is too much for me. I don't want to be in a housing association mainly because I don't like the idea of being told what to do by them (a little off subject but I figured I'd toss that in there too). In terms of work I'm sure there are places all around there but I would like to try and stick to a 7am-7:30pm job like I have here, which makes dealing with traffic easier because it's not as bad yet in the morning and pretty clear by the time I head home. In regards to Scottsdale any advice on finding a deal or certain areas to look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
IMO, leaving family for better roads and warmer weather isn't worth it. Family is the ONLY thing you have in life, don't leave them for smoother roads, its just not worth it.
I definitely would not be doing it just for roads. It's just another pro/con I listed. It would be mainly for the weather, different experiences, and I love the setting/geography. I certainly hope I did not give the impression that I would leave them for roads lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcheese11 View Post
I'd consider south Scottsdale (south of Indian School Rd). It's cheaper than the rest of Scottsdale, and it's close everything. I'd also look at central or midtown Phoenix. It all depends on where you end up working though.

Unless I was settling down with a family, I wouldn't consider Mesa, Chandler, or Gilbert...but that's just me.
I'll take a look at south Scottsdale. Are there any "bad" areas of Scottsdale like run down or anything? I heard that in all sorts of places of the Phoenix area you can be in a good area of town and then a couple blocks away be in a bad area of the same town.

Why would you advise against Mesa, Chandler, or Gilbert? I'm not opposed to having a family someday but it's not something I see in the immediate future.

Thanks for all of the feedback everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area