Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 AM

682 posts, read 2,568,679 times

Advertisements

Do the typical HOA rules also prohibit multiple families living in single family homes?

altus2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 AM

551 posts, read 2,728,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
...and that is exactly why stricter HOAs are good.
Some HOA's only enforce the monthly payments -- and don't do much more. I have seen many neighborhoods with very tall weeds, junk scattered all over -- basically property that is no longer being maintained by the owner. This is usually because the property is a rental or a pending foreclosure, but does show how some HOA's only care about making sure they are collecting the monthly fees.

As someone said above, make sure you ask around if you plan on moving into a community that has an HOA.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,386,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
Do the typical HOA rules also prohibit multiple families living in single family homes?

altus2006
I know the wording in our's does. We also can't rent it out for a two year period. It has to be our primary or secondary residence.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 PM

682 posts, read 2,568,679 times
Thanks Soon,

That sounds like good criteria in my book.

altus2006

Old 03-06-2008, 05:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,386,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
Thanks Soon,

That sounds like good criteria in my book.

altus2006
Our thoughts are that we want to live near like minded people that are also buying their homes. Also we don't mind being under the rules and regs of the HOA. As long as they do their part we will do ours. Some have said that doesn't mean that will occur though. What do you think? Do the HOA's enforce the rules and regs or are we just hoping that this will happen blindly? I should know in September when the home is suppsed to be complete. Just wanted others thoughts on this.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM

611 posts, read 2,310,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Our thoughts are that we want to live near like minded people that are also buying their homes. Also we don't mind being under the rules and regs of the HOA. As long as they do their part we will do ours. Some have said that doesn't mean that will occur though. What do you think? Do the HOA's enforce the rules and regs or are we just hoping that this will happen blindly? I should know in September when the home is suppsed to be complete. Just wanted others thoughts on this.
I think it just depends on the HOA. I know of one HOA that is doing an awful job, and in the 2 years since the new community opened, it is going down hill. It's obvious when you drive through it. Our own community is only a few years old too, but there is a definite difference because it continues to "shine". I'm so thankful we bought a home in a community with a good HOA and home owners that want to keep our community looking great. When we bought we didn't know the HOA would be good because the development was new, so I guess we got lucky. If I were you, I would drive through the community and ask neighbors how they like their HOA. Doing both of these will tell you a lot about their HOA.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 PM

67 posts, read 226,568 times
I lived on Baltimore Street in Mesa, that certain HOA must be breaking the rules then. We were fined. We had just moved from Virginia and we were only there for about 6 months tops. The neighbor down the street got a whole bunch of fines for the most ridiculous things...Then when we bought our house in the Renaissance neighborhood, it was MUCH MORE different than the previous neighborhood. They were definately more relaxed. And it was still a very neat and well groomed neighborhood! I've always heard that basically there are no laws when it comes to the HOA administration..no one can fight them, if they do they run into all kinds of disappointing outcomes..

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
HOA's cannot fine one for leaving a trash can out for one day. They are required to give a written notice, and normally the first one is a friendly reminder. If the can is left out again for a day, then they will give a notice of violation, and explain the fine procedure. If it is done again, then the fine procedure will begin. That is the law and all HOA's must follow it.

It's a simple matter if you can't bring your trash can in one day because one is not at home, then ask a neighbor to bring it in for you. All of our neighbors do that for each other.

As for one weed in the yard, well you know that's a gross exaggeration. And again it's back to the legal procedure that the HOA's must comply with in giving notices.

I'm on the board of directors for my master association and my sub association, and our boards operate in a very fair manner, in accordance with the state laws and the governing CC&R's.

The only problems we have are with the few people who feel that the rules are made for others; not for them.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 PM

67 posts, read 226,568 times
One person in a "HOA" development was told to take his American Flag down. How insane! What gives the right for the "HOA" administration to tell someone can't fly a flag outside of the home they own. "HOA" is good to have if you want a decent appearing neighborhood but some also take it to the extreme. I never did follow up on that particular news story..I wonder if that person eventually had to take the American Flag down and how many fines did he receive?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:39 AM

510 posts, read 1,461,046 times
Do HOAs have lots of rules regarding holiday Decorations?

Cuz I am ITCHING to put up Christmas lights where it ISN'T below freezing at the time! How 'bout my Santa and Reindeer? (We spent over $2,000.00 for them, they are GOING to be displayed!)

Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,794,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Do HOAs have lots of rules regarding holiday Decorations?

Cuz I am ITCHING to put up Christmas lights where it ISN'T below freezing at the time! How 'bout my Santa and Reindeer? (We spent over $2,000.00 for them, they are GOING to be displayed!)
In our HOA, holiday decorations can be put up after a certain date in November, and must be taken down by January 15, I believe. Whatever the exact dates, it is reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area