Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:21 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,408,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I don't know if I agree completely, the weather keeps us in play for a Super Bowl every decade or so potentially, but I agree that's a best case scenario. Super Bowls are awfully hard to get especially if you don't have a shiny new taxpayer-funded money pit.

However, I am more optimistic about the Final Four. The Final Four was held in San Antonio a bunch of times, and will be again next year, and the Alamodome is an old building. They also keep going back to the well of domed stadiums in Atlanta, New Orleans and Indianapolis repeatedly. So if we can get in that rotation, it could be a reliable big-event source.
I agree with Ponderosa, with Los Angeles (Inglewood) and Las Vegas each getting new domed NFL sized stadiums, the competition is just going to get that much harder to land the Final Four. I was actually a little surprised that San Antonio was getting the Final Four again, I thought the Alamodome has definitely seen better days, and since it will be 10 years since last they hosted, it might be their last hurrah next year.

I think of cities like Detroit, Ford Field (held the 2009 Final Four) and Minneapolis, US Bank Stadium (will host in 2019) as "one-offs", even though Minneapolis has hosted twice before I believe, because of the somewhat cold/cool and unpredictable weather this time of year. I did hear some radio people, from local markets around the country, who get to travel to many Final Fours, mention they did prefer cities like Indianapolis, Atlanta and New Orleans, for Final Fours over places like Phoenix, Houston, and Arlington, where the hub and radio row, is usually downtown but the venue is not.

I could definitely see Phoenix, hosting another Final Four, maybe, but it might be awhile, the next 5 sites have already been chosen. I can see Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Arlington, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta and Indianapolis as the future rotation sites. I think San Antonio will have it's last Final Four next year and I don't think it will be back to St. Louis any time soon. They might go back to Minneapolis after 2019, hoping for no freak early spring winter storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:28 AM

189 posts, read 232,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah, I went to the park Saturday and talked to a guy in line from Chicago who was really enjoying the atmosphere and all the good food. He was all compliments about Phoenix. I've been to a few events at Hance park before but this was the first since the condos have rose on the Northeast side of the park, so seeing those, with the crowds and all of the food/other entertainment (Ferris wheel, basketball courts, etc..) definitely put into perspective what it could become as more people choose to live in the city.

I'm looking forward to see what they can do with the place.
The Master Plan looks pretty awesome and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Our Vision

Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 AM

2,284 posts, read 4,098,966 times
Having the light rail is a big plus +++

Old 04-04-2017, 10:46 AM

226 posts, read 228,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
My brother and I were here for all the fun...we did not take in the music events but opted for hitting both Dbacks and Suns on Sunday!

Great weather. Thumbs up to the folks with Valley Metro - they were handing out Popsicles and bottled water on Saturday at the park and ride. We were glad we used the shuttle from the park and ride and it was very easy and cheap ($4 round trip).

Biggest complaint I heard from other frequent Final four attendees is that they do prefer a place where the stadium is in the center of the action like Indy or Atlanta.

But I hope Phoenix stays in the mix. (It was nice to get back to our room before midnight instead of having the game last till midnight haha!)

Chase Field would have been perfect. Unfortunately, it is not a multi-purpose stadium, it was basically built for one thing and that's baseball (and maybe the occasional Taylor Swift concert, LOL).

Old 04-04-2017, 10:50 AM

226 posts, read 228,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I agree with Ponderosa, with Los Angeles (Inglewood) and Las Vegas each getting new domed NFL sized stadiums, the competition is just going to get that much harder to land the Final Four. I was actually a little surprised that San Antonio was getting the Final Four again, I thought the Alamodome has definitely seen better days, and since it will be 10 years since last they hosted, it might be their last hurrah next year.

I think of cities like Detroit, Ford Field (held the 2009 Final Four) and Minneapolis, US Bank Stadium (will host in 2019) as "one-offs", even though Minneapolis has hosted twice before I believe, because of the somewhat cold/cool and unpredictable weather this time of year. I did hear some radio people, from local markets around the country, who get to travel to many Final Fours, mention they did prefer cities like Indianapolis, Atlanta and New Orleans, for Final Fours over places like Phoenix, Houston, and Arlington, where the hub and radio row, is usually downtown but the venue is not.

I could definitely see Phoenix, hosting another Final Four, maybe, but it might be awhile, the next 5 sites have already been chosen. I can see Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Arlington, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta and Indianapolis as the future rotation sites. I think San Antonio will have it's last Final Four next year and I don't think it will be back to St. Louis any time soon. They might go back to Minneapolis after 2019, hoping for no freak early spring winter storm.

It's going to be a while before Phoenix gets the Final Four again, for the reasons mentioned above. L.A. and Vegas already have an edge, with new state of the art stadiums being built. And out of town people aren't too keen on driving 20 miles to Glendale from downtown to see a game. "Does the light rail go out to the stadium?" No, no it doesn't. But there may be an Alamo or Enterprise rental office along the route...

Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
It's going to be a while before Phoenix gets the Final Four again, for the reasons mentioned above. L.A. and Vegas already have an edge, with new state of the art stadiums being built. And out of town people aren't too keen on driving 20 miles to Glendale from downtown to see a game. "Does the light rail go out to the stadium?" No, no it doesn't. But there may be an Alamo or Enterprise rental office along the route...
Unless it's NYC or Chicago, maybe those visiting wouldn't get a rental car but many tourists who go to such an event in other metros like Phoenix rent a car to have the freedom to see/do other things in a region when visiting. 78k or whatever the number was that filled the stadium yesterday alone showed people could get to the event and didn't cancel their trip because a light rail didn't dump them off at the stadium.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
But yet you think LA will fare better with its freeways that are already parking lots (even on weekends) and out in freakin Inglewood. LV is the same way...it's so far south of the main strip that the only way you'll be able to get there is by a car/shuttle/taxi. Nothing different than what we have to offer.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:54 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,408,472 times
Quote:
"Does the light rail go out to the stadium?" No, no it doesn't.
Maybe by the time they host their next Final Four in say 2030 or 2035, the light rail will finally go to the stadium in Glendale!

Or will the Cardinals be playing in a new stadium near downtown by then?

Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 PM

The latter. The Bidwells relationship with the city of Glendale has always been bad and latest spat resulted in a lawsuit. My guess (and hope) is that Cards move closer to the urban core and closer to the light rail.

The proof is in the pudding with Valley Metro ultimately deciding against light rail going to Westgate.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:08 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,970,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
Hopefully the Music Fan Fest helped raise awareness with locals of our beautiful park and asset located right in downtown. My hope is this helps drive private/corporate donations for the Hance Park revitalization project and speeds it up.
I had never been to Hance park before, I was very impressed. We want to go back soon to see the Chinese garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area