Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 05:07 PM

226 posts, read 228,308 times

Advertisements

Would be interesting to hear some thoughts about what you think (especially the out of town visitors) about the NCAA Final Four events in Downtown Phoenix and Glendale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,996,538 times
All I know was trying to navigate around there on Friday afternoon was a joke. Apparently nobody from out of state knows how or when to use crosswalks. People were literally just walking across Central when and where they pleased. Friggin idiots. Go back home!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:28 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,636,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
All I know was trying to navigate around there on Friday afternoon was a joke. Apparently nobody from out of state knows how or when to use crosswalks. People were literally just walking across Central when and where they pleased. Friggin idiots. Go back home!
Now, now, Cats. Where's that famous Arizona hospitality?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:48 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,751,624 times
I like the visitors...when they abide by the local laws! There is this perception that since Phoenix is not like LA, NY or Vegas it is a "lesser" city. I love that the city was able to host a number of significant events simultaneously and some of the visitors are leaving with a better perception of the city than when they arrived. The only problem with that is that our "secret" is getting out!

Old 04-03-2017, 12:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,763,835 times
I had a blast attending the fan and music festivals over the weekend and talked to quite a few visitors who were really impressed with all that our city has to offer offer including all the great food and walkability of downtown. I'd welcome more large events like this and i expect it boosted our cities perception to folks who think we're nothing but sprawl.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:32 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,967,249 times
We attempted to go to Hence park for the music fest Sunday. Downtown was packed. We took the light rail and people were packed in those trains pretty tight all weekend long.

We did not make it into the music fest though, line was literally a mile long and people at the front had been there since around 7am.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:33 PM

189 posts, read 232,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I had a blast attending the fan and music festivals over the weekend and talked to quite a few visitors who were really impressed with all that our city has to offer offer including all the great food and walkability of downtown. I'd welcome more large events like this and i expect it boosted our cities perception to folks who think we're nothing but sprawl.
Agreed. Spoke to folks from all over the country in town for Final Four or for Opening Day (Giants fans). Everyone was impressed and had lots of fun. Hance Park hosting over 20K concertgoers was amazing as well. I wasn't able to make it in on Sunday however as it reached capacity way too fast.

Hopefully the Music Fan Fest helped raise awareness with locals of our beautiful park and asset located right in downtown. My hope is this helps drive private/corporate donations for the Hance Park revitalization project and speeds it up.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:41 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,996,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Now, now, Cats. Where's that famous Arizona hospitality?
Sorry, if you're a law breaker who is endangering their life and potentially mine, you shouldn't be here. No joke, between Jefferson and ASU I must've seen a good 50 people (decked out in their respective teams' apparel) literally just run across Central, nowhere near a crosswalk. Strange thing was there was TONS of cops parked along Central, and none of em (even the ones on bikes) yelled at them for jaywalking.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:46 PM

39,130 posts, read 51,428,209 times
I wonder how North Carolinians see it. Nobody is checking gender at the restroom doors here and there was a Gay Pride parade and festival going on at the same time as the NCAA downtown activities. Then, pro-immigration activists crashed the Gay Pride parade but in a couple minutes everyone came away united. Funny it would take Arizona to show that we can be tolerant and accepting. I'm proud of our state. We seem to have learned. I do hope that we (our legislature) can stay this way after the buzzer tonight.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:10 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,763,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
Agreed. Spoke to folks from all over the country in town for Final Four or for Opening Day (Giants fans). Everyone was impressed and had lots of fun. Hance Park hosting over 20K concertgoers was amazing as well. I wasn't able to make it in on Sunday however as it reached capacity way too fast.

Hopefully the Music Fan Fest helped raise awareness with locals of our beautiful park and asset located right in downtown. My hope is this helps drive private/corporate donations for the Hance Park revitalization project and speeds it up.
Yeah, I went to the park Saturday and talked to a guy in line from Chicago who was really enjoying the atmosphere and all the good food. He was all compliments about Phoenix. I've been to a few events at Hance park before but this was the first since the condos have rose on the Northeast side of the park, so seeing those, with the crowds and all of the food/other entertainment (Ferris wheel, basketball courts, etc..) definitely put into perspective what it could become as more people choose to live in the city.

I'm looking forward to see what they can do with the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area