Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:54 PM

173 posts, read 170,795 times

Advertisements

I think you should visit the Valley... take a few days off from work and visit the area so you can gauge for yourself. People have told me that certain cities were great! I went to visit them and I was not impressed at all. So, you can't really go by what other people think. You have to visit and see for yourself. Also, visit in the summer to see how you do in the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 06:37 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,854 times
Arizona I thought was super friendly on par with some Southern states and I am from Nashville. Arizona has a cool live and let live culture.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:45 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,664,411 times
Most are fine. The ones that came from NY are rude and the ones from the PNW are weird. The rest are fine.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:13 PM

683 posts, read 854,606 times
Coming from Miami, I find the people extremely friendly and laid back. We definitely don't need any New Yorkers over here. Most are very obnoxious and complain how a place isn't as good as NY, yet they won't move back there.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:01 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Coming from Miami, I find the people extremely friendly and laid back. We definitely don't need any New Yorkers over here. Most are very obnoxious and complain how a place isn't as good as NY, yet they won't move back there.
We've certainly got those here, too, they just tend to be from places like Chicago or the West Coast rather than New York. I don't think it's as bad or as prevalent as in South Florida, though.

I think the least friendly place has to be San Francisco. I didn't mind it so much because no one talks to anyone and I'm fine with that, but it's to such an extreme that you do notice it sometimes. Everyone's trying so hard to be cool and disaffected.

I always had the temptation to go to the grocery and try to chit-chat with people in the checkout lines. You could upset so many people so quickly, it would be kind of fun just to do and see all the havoc you caused.

Whereas here, I would say the majority of the time, people will not talk to you in the checkout line, but it also does happen with some regularity. But, if they did, it wouldn't blow your mind. Sometimes people will be friendly, most of the time they're just laid back, but they don't take it personally if someone they don't know talks to them.

I guess I just find grocery checkout lines and things like that to be a good "quick gauge" of an area's average friendliness.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
We've certainly got those here, too, they just tend to be from places like Chicago or the West Coast rather than New York.
Let it be known there is a MAJOR difference between stating how one wishes PHX had some amenities (like the place they came from had) vs someone stating how PHX sucks and they don't like it. Ive never met a Chicagoan or Angelino who hates PHX. We might state how we might miss some aspects of home or wish PHX was better at doing certain things, but it doesn't mean we don't love it here.

I mean, think about it... we spent thousands of our dollars, left our jobs, homes, and family behind because we love it here and wanted to be a part of it. No, PHX doesn't have good PT. No, PHX doesn't have a super dense downtown. No, PHX doesn't have a ton of immigrants from around the world all grouped together. No, PHX doesn't have a lot of greenery. But we still love it. Get where I'm coming from?

Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Let it be known there is a MAJOR difference between stating how one wishes PHX had some amenities (like the place they came from had) vs someone stating how PHX sucks and they don't like it. Ive never met a Chicagoan or Angelino who hates PHX. We might state how we might miss some aspects of home or wish PHX was better at doing certain things, but it doesn't mean we don't love it here.

I mean, think about it... we spent thousands of our dollars, left our jobs, homes, and family behind because we love it here and wanted to be a part of it. No, PHX doesn't have good PT. No, PHX doesn't have a super dense downtown. No, PHX doesn't have a ton of immigrants from around the world all grouped together. No, PHX doesn't have a lot of greenery. But we still love it. Get where I'm coming from?
I understand, certainly.

I'm just saying that everyone has a different viewpoint on glass half full vs glass half empty and that seems to be the genesis of a lot of the back-and-forth on this forum.

I also participate in another online group that's Phoenix related and it's so much complaining about how Phoenix isn't this, isn't that, downtown Phoenix still isn't good enough, etc etc etc. So no matter what happens they're never happy. It drives me nuts sometimes.

So, I do appreciate that you like it here. Some people who live here (or anywhere) complain the whole time about how much they hate it. I guess it's just how some people are, regardless of where they live.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I understand, certainly.

I'm just saying that everyone has a different viewpoint on glass half full vs glass half empty and that seems to be the genesis of a lot of the back-and-forth on this forum.

I also participate in another online group that's Phoenix related and it's so much complaining about how Phoenix isn't this, isn't that, downtown Phoenix still isn't good enough, etc etc etc. So no matter what happens they're never happy. It drives me nuts sometimes.

So, I do appreciate that you like it here. Some people who live here (or anywhere) complain the whole time about how much they hate it. I guess it's just how some people are, regardless of where they live.
I know. Trust me, I know. I'm always over on the "city vs city" forum here on C-D, defending PHX. But there's a lot I don't like about PHX, too. Its like every city on Earth! PHX has its positives, and its negatives. When we Chicagoans say we miss the food, it doesn't mean we don't like PHX. We were spoiled back in CHI, and many of us realize that. Some might be a bit too vocal about it, and that I disagree with. It would be nice if one day PHX had 25+ Michelin-rated restaurants downtown. Or a subway. Or actual trains that could bring commuters all over the Valley/downtown, and not just a slow light rail system that only covers a weird, small portion of the Valley.

But... I LOVE Phoenix. Its so quirky and cool, I have an immense amount of pride. I'm often in arguments with family and friends (and strangers online) about PHX. No, we're not NYC or LA or CHI or Philly. We're Phoenix. If there are idiots who don't like it here, THEY CAN LEAVE! Especially the loudmouthed New Englanders. Go back to Boston if you don't like it here!

Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 AM

13 posts, read 18,646 times
I am from Michigan. My hubby and I have been here for about three years. I would say that people (in general) are much friendlier here than there. What took some getting used to, is that people often touch you when they talk to you, lol. Needless to say, the change has been
refreshing to say the least.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsness300 View Post
I am from Michigan. My hubby and I have been here for about three years. I would say that people (in general) are much friendlier here than there. What took some getting used to, is that people often touch you when they talk to you, lol. Needless to say, the change has been
refreshing to say the least.
You do realize that most of the nice people you've met were most likely Midwesterners, right? That or Californians, who are laid back, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area