Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 08:37 PM

13,729 posts, read 7,992,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
You didn't say what size unit, but I'm guessing a 3 to 4 ton, and that price is completely nuts either way even given current circumstances. Shop around.
My guess is it's a 3 ton unit. 4 ton seems too big for 1200 sq. ft.

In any case....15k for a 3 or 4 ton roof top unit is completely outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 10:43 PM

284 posts, read 1,020,617 times
Last year I paid 7500 for a 5ton ac and furnace

This year I had to replace my second unit and it was 9000 for the same setup.

Brand was bryant

Old 09-12-2022, 11:21 PM

962 posts, read 469,491 times
General rule of thumb is 1 ton/500 sq.ft. I have 3000 sq.ft. with a pair of 3-ton heat pump units on the roof. Had new Trane units installed less than 2 years ago for around $12k.

I used American Home Water & Air (AHWA). They weren't the cheapest but it was close, and their quote was firm and all-inclusive (they found they had to do some new wiring and condensate drain pipes and didn't charge any extra). They were also the all-around fastest: They showed up less than 2 hours after I called. They keep a bunch of units in stock and scheduled the install the same week. They had both units installed in 3 hours, arrival to thorough clean-up.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:17 AM

3,825 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
resurrecting this thread....

might have to get a new rooftop heat pump for my 1200 sq.ft two-story townhouse....current one is a Trane installed in 2006 and running great......a recent check-up showed rusty coils and something about the rust blocking circulation when it falls in the pan at the bottom (?)......

I trust the tech and company I'm working with and they are suggesting a new 15 SEER unit will be about $15K now or $20K+ after January, 2023, when new rules go into effect......I know covid and supply chain and blah, blah have affected prices, but the 2006 one only cost about $5K.......

does anybody agree that these are the appx. current prices?.....thanks for any comments
That’s pretty pricy.

Order your own unit, and pay an installer, and save more than half: https://iwae.com/shop/3-ton-16-seer-...n-ha10818.html

Old 09-14-2022, 04:42 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
I let my goodman packaged heat pump go little too long 2007-2022 it's final days were last week when I woke up to some burning smell in the house coming from the AC vents. I assumed wrongly that it was the inside blower motor easy to replace I have done it before I pull the blower motor find out it's a ECM (Electronically controlled motor) not a typical AC motor. Few places that had them in town won't sell to me I'm not a contractor. I had to call in my AC company I use to replace units they pickup the motor we install it. He powers the unit and the compressor is sounding bad and not starting up. The only thing we did was check the start caps but never fully diagnosed the unit which I should have done before assuming the blower motor was bad. Since I had removed the old motor they could not test it either. We saw the compressor relay was chattering we replace that. When he powers it again I see smoke come out of the new $700 blower motor. At this point I throw in the towel and they find a replacement 4 ton goodman pick up at 9am the next day $8900 installed. Yeah I got screwed bad on that deal I found online for $4000 and local contractor install was $2600.

Lessons learned don't let AC run more then 10-12 years and let AC guy diagnose it before tear into it assuming the problem ahead of time. The compressor also blew out my wireless Honeywell thermostat as well. We suspect the smoke was coming from the control board compressor was somehow sending an overvoltage to everything.

My wife said last winter lets get a new AC unit I was thinking oh it be fine I just replaced the condenser fan motor put in caps in it and even a 321 hard start booster cap. When it's 100 plus pay an extra $2600 get it replaced ASAP.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:59 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I let my goodman packaged heat pump go little too long 2007-2022 it's final days were last week when I woke up to some burning smell in the house coming from the AC vents. I assumed wrongly that it was the inside blower motor easy to replace I have done it before I pull the blower motor find out it's a ECM (Electronically controlled motor) not a typical AC motor. Few places that had them in town won't sell to me I'm not a contractor. I had to call in my AC company I use to replace units they pickup the motor we install it. He powers the unit and the compressor is sounding bad and not starting up. The only thing we did was check the start caps but never fully diagnosed the unit which I should have done before assuming the blower motor was bad. Since I had removed the old motor they could not test it either. We saw the compressor relay was chattering we replace that. When he powers it again I see smoke come out of the new $700 blower motor. At this point I throw in the towel and they find a replacement 4 ton goodman pick up at 9am the next day $8900 installed. Yeah I got screwed bad on that deal I found online for $4000 and local contractor install was $2600.

Lessons learned don't let AC run more then 10-12 years and let AC guy diagnose it before tear into it assuming the problem ahead of time. The compressor also blew out my wireless Honeywell thermostat as well. We suspect the smoke was coming from the control board compressor was somehow sending an overvoltage to everything.

My wife said last winter lets get a new AC unit I was thinking oh it be fine I just replaced the condenser fan motor put in caps in it and even a 321 hard start booster cap. When it's 100 plus pay an extra $2600 get it replaced ASAP.
I've never done that buy online - hire a contractor to install. A contractor is going to mark up the unit from his cost maybe a lot so it sounds good. Do you have any trouble finding competent people who will just do an install?

Old 09-14-2022, 06:27 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I've never done that buy online - hire a contractor to install. A contractor is going to mark up the unit from his cost maybe a lot so it sounds good. Do you have any trouble finding competent people who will just do an install?
There are several out there but this one "eComfort" is one of them where you agree to a purchase price and install price. The installers are a local contracted company who comes out verifies everything before you pay then the unit is shipped to you or them not sure which.

Goodman 4 ton heat pump GPH1448M41 $4088.00 The install fee is $2486 Mine is a packaged unit so it takes about 45 minutes to swap it once the crane arrives as long as the stand and elbow match up which mine did since I was going from a Goodman to a Goodman.

I would post the link of the company not sure that is allowed here easy to find them.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:42 AM

13,729 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Finding a quality AC vendor can be difficult. In fact it can be very difficult. My experience as an owner of rental property has been there are many AC techs who just aren't very good. The owner of the company might be skilled but not necessarily the person who is send out. Which is why I stick with small AC companies. I like the owner to come out.

Also, it's my understanding you don't need to buy a brand name. That AC units basically use the same parts. It's the quality of the installation which is most important.

I have the AC units in my rental properties serviced each year in March. Run capacitors are replaced before they wear out and the condensate line cleaned. I also make sure my renters change the AC filter (which I provide) every month.

The last thing I need is an AC unit going bad during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area