Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
I don't know why there can't be more people who are well-groomed, drive normal cars,
Life is too short to drive "normal cars".

Perhaps you should immerse yourself in the car culture. They are the nicest bunch of strangers you'll ever meet. We are one big family and we share our passion. Visit the Scottsdale Pavilions every Saturday night (arrive around 7:30PM or so), get to know some of the car people, strike up some conversations. Perhaps you'll be motivated to go out and buy something fun yourself and spend your time hanging with your newfound "family". It really is fun. Trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 09:44 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Life is too short to drive "normal cars".

Perhaps you should immerse yourself in the car culture. They are the nicest bunch of strangers you'll ever meet. We are one big family and we share our passion. Visit the Scottsdale Pavilions every Saturday night (arrive around 7:30PM or so), get to know some of the car people, strike up some conversations. Perhaps you'll be motivated to go out and buy something fun yourself and spend your time hanging with your newfound "family". It really is fun. Trust me.
What do you drive BIG CATS? I have a 64 f100 and a 65 fury 3, I am a member of the hell city saints car club and you are absolutely right the car scene here is awesome. Do our members look scary? maybe but one is a cop, one is the suns photographer another owns real estate. I guess my point here is not to judge people whether they drive an old hot rod or a BMW or have tattoos or look clean cut.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
What do you drive BIG CATS? I have a 64 f100 and a 65 fury 3, I am a member of the hell city saints car club and you are absolutely right the car scene here is awesome. Do our members look scary? maybe but one is a cop, one is the suns photographer another owns real estate. I guess my point here is not to judge people whether they drive an old hot rod or a BMW or have tattoos or look clean cut.
I'm a sport compact/hot hatch guy (don't hate me hahaha). Have been for going on 20+ years. It all started with a 1990 Civic hatch that I started modding back in 1996. Put it this way... it was hard to find aftermarket parts for a Civic at the time. Does that tell you how long ago that was? hahaha

I just prefer small, light hatchbacks. I like the looks, the lightweight, the versatility, the handling. I have an obsession with pulling out power out of tiny engines. I also prefer to do it n/a, versus forced induction. Ive never built anything fast, but definitely peppy. I got the Civic into the mid 15's with all bolt ons and cam (SOHC). Put it this way, the biggest engine Ive owned was a 2.0L.

I am just a car nut. Have been since grade school. You name it, I like it. Exotic, hot hatch, muscle, tuner, truck, luxury. I'm just as happy seeing a 1964 DB5 as I am a GT500. I can stare at a Miura and then a EVO IX and be just as mezmorized.

Sounds like you have some nice rides! My friend back in IL had a Dart and a Fury, so I'm quite familiar with them. He's currently working on a '70 Challenger (sold the Fury).

Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I've lived in Phoenix for a long time, never in Scottsdale or any other suburb but hold no antagonism for the place. When I lived in NE Phoenix I was always a little amused at my neighbors on the other side of Tatum who lived in Phoenix but insisted on telling everyone that they lived in Scottsdale, but that was just a personal thing. I suspect that people who express loud dislike for Scottsdale, call it silly names, etc., have some self-esteem issues.
Agreed. Scottsdale is definitely one of the nicer suburbs that is really more of its own city than a Phoenix suburb. It covers a long stretch of square mileage from the north to the south, and isn't a clone of Beverly Hills or South Beach like some people make it out to be. There are plenty of middle class neighborhoods. What makes Scottsdale stand out as a "be all, end all destination" is the top notch hotels, entertainment, nightlife, dining, and shopping that are found in areas like Old Town, and even in Kierland (which is really part of Phoenix but has an "east of Tatum" Scottsdale address).

Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
The Car scene is awesome, from Jacked up 4 wheelers, to Lowriders, to Lambos, and of course a record number of Muscle cars

Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 PM

770 posts, read 836,740 times
I love all the butt hurt Scottsdale transplants trying to defend their soulless city. I hate to tell you calling it Snottsdale is nothing new it was called that in the 80's and the reputation has lived on for a reason.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
I love all the butt hurt Scottsdale transplants trying to defend their soulless city. I hate to tell you calling it Snottsdale is nothing new it was called that in the 80's and the reputation has lived on for a reason.
"Soulless"?

Don't you have a frat party to be at right now, "broski"? I hope you enjoy Mill Ave, Tempe's one and only saving grace. We'll try not to look down our noses at you too hard.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'm a sport compact/hot hatch guy (don't hate me hahaha). Have been for going on 20+ years. It all started with a 1990 Civic hatch that I started modding back in 1996. Put it this way... it was hard to find aftermarket parts for a Civic at the time. Does that tell you how long ago that was? hahaha

I just prefer small, light hatchbacks. I like the looks, the lightweight, the versatility, the handling. I have an obsession with pulling out power out of tiny engines. I also prefer to do it n/a, versus forced induction. Ive never built anything fast, but definitely peppy. I got the Civic into the mid 15's with all bolt ons and cam (SOHC). Put it this way, the biggest engine Ive owned was a 2.0L.

I am just a car nut. Have been since grade school. You name it, I like it. Exotic, hot hatch, muscle, tuner, truck, luxury. I'm just as happy seeing a 1964 DB5 as I am a GT500. I can stare at a Miura and then a EVO IX and be just as mezmorized.

Sounds like you have some nice rides! My friend back in IL had a Dart and a Fury, so I'm quite familiar with them. He's currently working on a '70 Challenger (sold the Fury).
No hate man lol. I used to have a gti that was one of my favorite rides ever.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:35 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1985 View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm contemplating a move to Phoenix this August, more specifically Scottsdale, Mesa area. I'm a male in my early thirties, and one thing that is at the top of my list, that makes a certain place great or not, is actually not "the weather, the roads or the parks or the Schools" in the area...it's the people.
It's the people that give a certain energy to a place and make it what it is, and it's something you can't tell by looking at pictures or watching youtube videos, or monitoring the weather. I'm wondering if you could share your characterizations and generalizations on what people in the Phoenix area are like, and what I can encounter, which of course are only generalizations. However, often times they are not groundless.
For example, Miami seemed like a place full of adventurers and interesting people to me, until I got there and found out it's trashy as hell with it's anti intellectual aura and a lack of interesting people. Chicago seemed very modern and sophisticated in a good sense, until I got there and realised that the people are a bunch of brain dead, self-hating liberals(subjectively of course).
I'm not so much interested to know how "nice" or "not nice" the people are, I find that characterization somewhat useless. The best people I've met are not nice, lol, and some of the worst people walk with a smile. I'm more interested to know how intellectual or anti intellectual the people are, creative or dull, full of douchebags or social justice warriors? Are the women open minded, stuck up, suspicious, daring, trashy, nerdy? Is it cliquish overall there? Is it sophisticated or do the people have that innate rural feel, do they lack perspective in life or are there a lot of free thinkers out there who just chose to escape the modern insanity? How fake are the people, how straightforward are they? Are there any young, interesting people at all, or is basically Florida #2 with a bunch of retirees?
So basically, I thought if some of you could share your philosophical input on the issue, it would be extremely interesting. Thank you very much in advance.
Your opinions are as trashy as your conclusions. That being said I don't think anyone has anything useful to say to you.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Your opinions are as trashy as your conclusions. That being said I don't think anyone has anything useful to say to you.
I certainly wouldn't want to live anywhere near the guy with an attitude like his. Hopefully he will stay where he is. Let someone else benefit from his opens and conclusions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area