Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM

772 posts, read 841,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
"Soulless"?

Don't you have a frat party to be at right now, "broski"? I hope you enjoy Mill Ave, Tempe's one and only saving grace. We'll try not to look down our noses at you too hard.
Sorry I don't participate in that scene but it happens everywhere a large university is. It still doesn't change that Scottsdale has earned the Snottsdale reputation decades ago and it still applies today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM

249 posts, read 189,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
I love all the butt hurt Scottsdale transplants trying to defend their soulless city. I hate to tell you calling it Snottsdale is nothing new it was called that in the 80's and the reputation has lived on for a reason.
I think you're the one who is butt hurt because you've been stuck in Tempe all your life and can't afford to live in Scottsdale.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 PM

811 posts, read 625,627 times
Quote:
Sorry I don't participate in that scene but it happens everywhere a large university is. It still doesn't change that Scottsdale has earned the Snottsdale reputation decades ago and it still applies today.
Tempe native myself.

And yet I prefer to live in Scottsdale.

Had lunch at Mellow Mushroom on Mill a week ago; between the tweaker going insane in the restaurant and the homeless guy LICKING the windows (no; not kidding) I won't go back.
Mill Ave is disgusting.

The bad rap about Scottsdale is nothing more than an urban legend.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 PM

656 posts, read 816,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ask yourself "why do stereotypes exist"?

I live in the heart of Scottsdale, and more times than I can count I've seen the most snobby people you can imagine. Rude, showy, ignorant bastards are all over Scottsdale. Its the nature of the beast I guess. More than once Ive been mortified by the actions of some of the residents when I have guests in town. There are TONS of stuck up pricks in Scottsdale. Is the whole city like that? Of course not. But the snobbishness most certainly exists and its most certainly very prevalent. The whole bad reputation that BMW drivers are douchebags was probably coined in Scottsdale. LOL I see it all the time, and I have to calm myself as to not spur on my rampant road rage problem.

I am reminded of that Sarah Silverman video : "Jews Driving German Cars."

Old 05-18-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
I think you're the one who is butt hurt because you've been stuck in Tempe all your life and can't afford to live in Scottsdale.
LOL yup look at the butt hurt in your post Snottsdale transplants are a fragile bunch.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Tempe native myself.

Had lunch at Mellow Mushroom on Mill a week ago; between the tweaker going insane in the restaurant and the homeless guy LICKING the windows (no; not kidding) I won't go back.
Mill Ave is disgusting.

Yup there are street kids begging on mill too bad the city doesn't do more to clean it up. That doesn't change that the term Snottsdale isn't some made up of thing they've earned that reputation over the years.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,309,777 times
Quote:
Yup there are street kids begging on mill too bad the city doesn't do more to clean it up. That doesn't change that the term Snottsdale isn't some made up of thing they've earned that reputation over the years.
I am going to snowbird in the Valley this winter. Checked out different places and really liked Snottsdale and the people. That's where I'll be this winter. Near Shea and Scottsdale Rd. Actually, I found that are to be very "normal." Just your normal chain restaurants and movie theater, YMCA, etc...and they even had some bikers event a block away. (I'm not into that at all)....I wondered if maybe it was a bit too "biker" for me.

And the condo I'm renting is very reasonable and like any condo and commercial area you would find in hundreds or thousands of suburban areas across the USA. So, I don't get it. Somewhere, somehow, there's some sour grapes from the Scottsdale haters. Just learn to live within your own skin, folks. You'll be much happier.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,513,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Tempe native myself.

Mill Ave is disgusting.

Northern Tempe is littered with homeless people, I hesitate to call them homeless because most of them aren't really homeless but they are beggars-panhandlers.

There may not be as many homeless in Scottsdale but I just find it to be very pretentious especially oldtown.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:36 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Northern Tempe is littered with homeless people, I hesitate to call them homeless because most of them aren't really homeless but they are beggars-panhandlers.
They are annoying and sometimes very pushy. The best advice I can give is to simply ignore them. As you said, they're not really homeless, but panhandlers and con artists who are looking for a fast buck for doing nothing. Those who keep giving them money are only donating to their scams (and likely their drug addictions), which encourages them to keep panhandling instead of being productive citizens. Phoenix passed a law a little while back which banned people from standing in medians ... this was supposed to cut back on the panhandling. Apparently this law is not being enforced from what I've been seeing.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:55 PM

555 posts, read 864,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
If he can't afford a $600 dollar apartment, he has other issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area