Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 08:47 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,764,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
A few ASU awards and rankings:
#1 in the U.S. for innovation
Top 10 in the U.S. for employ-ability
#1 public university chosen by international students
#5 in the nation for producing the best-qualified graduates
#15 executive education in the world
It's pretty sad and embarrassing that a metro of over 4.5 million only has one 4-year university listed in US News and World Reports top colleges and university rankings, isn't it?

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...versities/data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 08:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,678,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
It's pretty sad and embarrassing that a metro of over 4.5 million only has one 4-year university listed in US News and World Reports top colleges and university rankings, isn't it?

Okay, we get it, Phoenix is the worst city in the entire world. It sucks hard here.

There, is that what you and dvxhd want to hear?!?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:33 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,756,471 times
Quote:

Yup it's horrible having the largest university in the nation with dozens of ranked programs. It's pretty sad that you can get in person degrees from ASU, UA, NAU, Thunderbird, GCU or Benedictine and I'm not counting all of the smaller places around town like AT Still, Argosy, etc...

We're also home to Barrow Neurological Institute is the world's largest neurological disease treatment and research institution, and is consistently ranked as one of the best neurosurgical training centers in the United States

And we actually rank fairly well nationally for number of college students with over 200,000 here around 13th or so, similar to our population ranking.

https://www.citylab.com/design/2012/...ege-towns/3054

Terrible place to be...

Old 05-29-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Okay, we get it, Phoenix is the worst city in the entire world. It sucks hard here.

Not at all. I like Phoenix, it's just that some people need to get checked once in awhile.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yup it's horrible having the largest university in the nation with dozens of ranked programs. It's pretty sad that you can get in person degrees from ASU, UA, NAU, Thunderbird, GCU or Benedictine and I'm not counting all of the smaller places around town like AT Still, Argosy, etc...

We're also home to Barrow Neurological Institute is the world's largest neurological disease treatment and research institution, and is consistently ranked as one of the best neurosurgical training centers in the United States

And we actually rank fairly well nationally for number of college students with over 200,000 here around 13th or so, similar to our population ranking.

https://www.citylab.com/design/2012/...ege-towns/3054

Terrible place to be...
You're starting to look desperate by adding satellite campuses into the mix. And if you're trying to prove a point, try linking to an article that's more current.

Fact: An exerpt from the link below shows that San Diego has the 3rd highest percentage of college students in the country after LA and Boston. Where do you think Phoenix ranks?

Interestingly, Los Angeles tops Boston for large metros. College students make up 7.34 percent of greater L.A.’s population, just a bit higher than Boston’s 7.32 percent. San Diego is next with 7.27 percent, followed by Sacramento (7.23 percent), and Austin (7.13 percent). Rochester, New York (6.98 percent), San Jose (6.95 percent), Buffalo (6.92 percent), Tucson (6.89 percent), and Oklahoma City (6.8 percent) round out the top 10.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/...-towns/498755/

Old 05-29-2017, 11:32 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,309,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

It makes them feel better about themselves by putting Phoenix down. They need that. Don't deprive them of their need to feel good about the cities they think are millions of times better than Phoenix. Oh, and Sacramento is near the top? One very mediocre state school there (Cal State, Sacramento) besides the community colleges. Give me a break.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:59 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,195,149 times
Quote:
Great post. It's great to see something I mentioned in another thread about Phoenix being more concerned about quantity and not quality in quotes here. haha The problem is that many people in Phoenix can't begin to understand what is being said here.
There are cities all over the world that demonstrate this, as in the metro areas of Philadelphia vs. Kinshasa, London vs. Karachi, and Sydney vs. Mogadishu. In all three cases, the former cities in each pair have fewer people but the quality of each one is much better than their respective latter pair. I believe the Valley is about to surpass metro Sydney, but the latter is overall a much nicer city. Just having more people shouldn't be the goal, nor do I think it's a particularly good idea all things considered. I'm not very impressed with these small little companies moving their "global headquarters" here. *Fun fact: using that language makes it seem greater than it really is, as it leads the brain into a focused direction.

The job I moved here for spouted the same jargon (though they were an Arizona-based startup, not a transplant company) and it was easily one of the worst jobs I've ever had, and within three months everyone I worked with there, save the owners, left the company. The job I work here for is jokingly referred to as India, because clients save a lot of money by outsourcing work from their home cities to cheaper labor at my office. I have a feeling that the companies that were listed earlier that want to relocate here are doing so because they can't offer competitive pay in California, which means they probably aren't as successful as their competition. If I really wanted to stay in Phoenix I'd be facing a dilemma because I can't leave my job for one that pays more when most of the positions I'd be looking for pay about the same. When I was interviewing between that first job and my current one, they all offered roughly the same salary. That list you posted showed other cities with reasonable costs of living and better pay, so it can be done. I think another issue in Phoenix is that employers know they can pay what they do and get away with it, and that is going to be a hard obstacle to overcome.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,309,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
There are cities all over the world that demonstrate this, as in the metro areas of Philadelphia vs. Kinshasa, London vs. Karachi, and Sydney vs. Mogadishu. In all three cases, the former cities in each pair have fewer people but the quality of each one is much better than their respective latter pair. I believe the Valley is about to surpass metro Sydney, but the latter is overall a much nicer city. Just having more people shouldn't be the goal, nor do I think it's a particularly good idea all things considered. I'm not very impressed with these small little companies moving their "global headquarters" here. *Fun fact: using that language makes it seem greater than it really is, as it leads the brain into a focused direction.

The job I moved here for spouted the same jargon (though they were an Arizona-based startup, not a transplant company) and it was easily one of the worst jobs I've ever had, and within three months everyone I worked with there, save the owners, left the company. The job I work here for is jokingly referred to as India, because clients save a lot of money by outsourcing work from their home cities to cheaper labor at my office. I have a feeling that the companies that were listed earlier that want to relocate here are doing so because they can't offer competitive pay in California, which means they probably aren't as successful as their competition. If I really wanted to stay in Phoenix I'd be facing a dilemma because I can't leave my job for one that pays more when most of the positions I'd be looking for pay about the same. When I was interviewing between that first job and my current one, they all offered roughly the same salary. That list you posted showed other cities with reasonable costs of living and better pay, so it can be done. I think another issue in Phoenix is that employers know they can pay what they do and get away with it, and that is going to be a hard obstacle to overcome.
Maybe it's time to change fields then. Otherwise, life generally isn't perfect.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,756,471 times
Quote:
You're starting to look desperate by adding satellite campuses into the mix. And if you're trying to prove a point, try linking to an article that's more current.

Fact: An exerpt from the link below shows that San Diego has the 3rd highest percentage of college students in the country after LA and Boston. Where do you think Phoenix ranks?

Interestingly, Los Angeles tops Boston for large metros. College students make up 7.34 percent of greater L.A.’s population, just a bit higher than Boston’s 7.32 percent. San Diego is next with 7.27 percent, followed by Sacramento (7.23 percent), and Austin (7.13 percent). Rochester, New York (6.98 percent), San Jose (6.95 percent), Buffalo (6.92 percent), Tucson (6.89 percent), and Oklahoma City (6.8 percent) round out the top 10.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/...-towns/498755/
We would rank somewhere around 15th by 2016, although your link is using 2014 data. By 2016 we had roughly 250,000 or so college students here and the population was about 4.6M. That would put us around 5.5% likely in the range of Denver, Seattle, and Atlanta.

Come back when you've got a real argument, these poor attempts to bash Phoenix really aren't working out too well.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM

872 posts, read 1,003,265 times
People are leaving the Northeast in packs. It's been a trend for a long time now. Whether it's for Texas, CA, FL and AZ, they are sick of being taxed up the butt, the winters and the poor infrastructure. Not to mention, Philly has a high crime rate that has not been going down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area