Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:02 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,608,420 times

Advertisements

You know what I find the most miserable? Having to get in and out of a hot car. It never really cools down on short trips.
Then you have to trudge across a super hot parking lot to make it to your next air conditioned destination.
(heat island, anyone?)

I hate errands days in the summer, that's what zaps me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
thanks man, I have been to phoenix often for business over the years, and I was in town on the hottest day in history several years ago, when it hit 122; I actually had my black polyester pants melt to the bench while waiting to get picked up at the airport, so I'll never forget that trip! I also remember them saying if it got one degree hotter, they would have to close the airport, since the planes couldn't get enough lift to take off!

Yeah, summer is tough, and moving there in July/august is probably crazy, at least thats what all my friends say, but hey, its hot in phoenix in the summer, and, its not like I dont expect it or know what I am in for...like you have suggested in this thread and in others, you just need to plan your days and nights accordingly, and since we get up every day at 5am Chicago time, thats 3 am your time, starting early in the am with dog walking and working out wont be that much of a change for us.. Excited as hell to get out of Illinois!!!!
Yeah man, it's just a seasonal adjustment compared to Chicago. Some people let it really get to them but I'd rather not sit around pissed off so I figure out ways to make the best of wherever life takes me. I was here for 10 years or so and left to the northeast for about 5 years, thinking at least summers will be awesome. And damn was that a letdown, as soon as warmed up the humidity would kick in, mosquito and black fly season got started and I found out being outdoors there wasn't all that much better and that's the best season up there. Sure you could get a stretch of dry air and mild temps but here we get nearly 3 seasons of that. I just did not dig long/cold winters and felt Phoenix had kind of spoiled me, I like being outside and I find that pretty easy to make happen here. I also didn't like the lack of variety out there, drive 5 hours and everything still looks the same. Drive 2 hours here and you feel like you've been transported to a different world.

At 5am on days when the temps are heading 110 or higher you'll still be hot in the morning but it's summer and most places are hot, I don't think the mornings are any worse than mid days elsewhere. Once October gets here the mornings really cool off, even if it's 90 for the high you'll be in the low 60s in the morning, kind of like it was today 61 overnight with a high of 98, that's dry air for you.

The monsoon season kicks up the moisture but if you like storms things can get really interesting, I've grown to like it a lot as lightning, torrential downpours are pretty cool to me. When it does rain the temps can drop 30 degrees in a few hours. A nice break from the summer.

Just my .02, a lot of people get pretty irritated with summer here, I just make it work.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:52 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
You know what I find the most miserable? Having to get in and out of a hot car. It never really cools down on short trips.
Then you have to trudge across a super hot parking lot to make it to your next air conditioned destination.
(heat island, anyone?)

I hate errands days in the summer, that's what zaps me!
Ever thought about a car starter, I don't have one but a friend at work does. He hits about 10 minutes before we walk out and the temp is noticeably cooler when we get in, still warm but nothing like it would be. Just an idea, these things are really popular up north for warming cars up.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 PM

226 posts, read 227,810 times
You won't have to wait until July to find out. It's supposed to be 117-ish this upcoming weekend.
It's not as scary as it sounds. It's a dry heat. People who say differently are full of hot air. Hahahaha!!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:06 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,776,699 times
Why not just go a little further west and go to San Diego? That's what half of Phoenix will be doing.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,776,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Ever thought about a car starter, I don't have one but a friend at work does. He hits about 10 minutes before we walk out and the temp is noticeably cooler when we get in, still warm but nothing like it would be. Just an idea, these things are really popular up north for warming cars up.
Or a legit sunshade?

Old 06-13-2017, 10:55 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
Oh gee another heat thread.

Yeah, creating a sticky for heat threads is a terrible idea. We need to create multiple heat threads because they offer so much value.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:22 AM

44,660 posts, read 61,729,772 times
Ne predictions for this weekend...close to 120 degrees F.
Home - KTAR.com

Old 06-14-2017, 05:17 AM

127 posts, read 171,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It's horrible! I don't think this is the case anymore, but used to it was REALLY cheap to go there in the summer. Because no one wanted to be there! I stayed at an expensive golf resort really cheap for this reason. I had to be there and the place was NICE.
This is how we did that, as well. Summer rates are rock bottom, sometimes cheaper to stay at nice resorts than in average hotels in your own hotels, and you have a good chance at getting an upgrade.

So it's hot. You still have all the amenities, and some of the hotel spas are running huge markdowns.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:56 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Actually...a lot of municipalities are starting to outlaw that exact practice up North because of the extra emissions generated from idling cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area