Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:16 PM

112 posts, read 602,418 times

Advertisements

Looking for a P/T waitressing/hostessing job near the 85085 zip code. Enjoy eating sushi/Korean BBQ/Japanese restaurant and might as well work there too. The question is, how much do people tip in Phoenix? How much on an average do you usually tip when you eat out?

While visiting Phoenix last month I ate at 4 restaurants. All 4 restaurants (Bibilo? Italian rest., 5 and Diner, applebees and pizza place) had great service and great food. But looking for more:less fast food, fun, asian food preferably, not a chain and not too far from the house. Any teppanyaki style restaurant anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 06:06 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Well, first off you might instead of using the zip code use the main cross streets as most people won't know where your talking about. So, it would be in the neighborhood of I-17 and Happy Valley.

Secondly, I don't think we have any good restaurants in the area. The closest I can consider to be good would be JoJo's Pizza (I only like their pizza) near 39th ave and Pinnacle Peak. They are always busy. But other than that I hate the chain stuff. There are also a couple of places at the Walmart center that are unique.

Third, I tip usually around 20%. If it's BAD service then 10%. While in undergrad I delivered for Domino's (for 5 years) and made excellent money! But there were reasons for that, for one I'm female (it's mostly all men), plus I was the fastest driver as I was working in my neighborhood that I grew up in so I knew every road and short cut. That helps.

But, I think you can make a few bucks around here.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:48 PM

For some reason I'm stuck on this zip code. Your right about using cross streets. Do you know what they are building on the other side of Walmart (towards N 19th ave on Happy Valley Rd.?

20% tip is pretty generous, I hope I get you as a customer. I don't particularly enjoy working behind a desk, I prefer dealing with the general public. I'm a really good server because I enjoy it.

Do you remember the names of the (unique) restaurants around Walmart? I want to look them up via internet.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM

I have to go run and get some gas for my car (so I don't have to do it in the morning) and I'll run past there and see what they are. We took a stroll over there one night (we were feeling adventurous) and found one weird place and a BBQ (kinda fast food, might be somewhere to work) place. The others were quiznos, keva juice, panda express, an ice cream place.

Otherwise, it's hard to find a nonchain place out here (at least one that stays in business) .

On the other side of Walmart, not sure. I know they are building lots of commercial and office buildings. Oh, also a Goodwill is going in there. (not sure why, but I bet you can find some good deals there!) That whole area is going to boom, I felt that this weekend. We were at the 19th ave intersectiona nd realized how wide it was (it's a huge intersection!) I thought "hmm, why is it so big?... Crap it's going to be booming here one day!"

I'll get back to you....

Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 PM

Thanks,

My teenager will enjoy those restaurants.

Do you go food shopping at Walmart?

Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM

I try not shop at Walmart. There's no customer service (not like there's any at the rest I've been at either). And, there's always rude customers. Oh, I can make a list! LOL However, there's always a time that I have to go there for something.

I usually shop at the Fry's at 67th ave and Happy Valley. Not the greatest either, but oh well. Then there's the Safeway at 39th ave and Pinnacle Peak (it's alright). I really wish we had something better up here.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:32 PM

Ok, in the Walmart center they have Starbucks,Bajio, Cold Stone, L&L Hawaiian BBQ (VERY weird food, imo), Shane's Rib Shack, Keva Juice, Panda Express, Quizno's, and Ray's Pizza. Over at the Fry's center (67th ave and HV) there is a Bamboo Cafe (it's ok, chinese?) and a Fiorella's Ristorante.

That's all I have found up here.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:26 PM

thank you, that's very helpful!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I usually shop at the Fry's at 67th ave and Happy Valley. Not the greatest either, but oh well. Then there's the Safeway at 39th ave and Pinnacle Peak (it's alright). I really wish we had something better up here.
Sablebaby: Where do you live? Sounds like you're pretty close to where I'm at since I shop at the same Fry's most time. I'm a few streets north on 67th past Happy Valley Rd. I run an advertising magazine in the area as well which you might have seen since you're in the area, it normally features a wild animal on the front cover.

As for something better up here, there's an AJ's at 67th and 101 which is very nice.

And as far as restaurants, the only teppanyaki I'm familiar with on this side of town is at 63rd Ave and Bell Rd, it's decent but I'll take Sapporo in Scottsdale any day. There are quite a few sushi places in the area, I don't know of any that are hiring. JoJo pizza, which was mentioned, is hiring I believe. They run an ad with us and I recall him saying they were looking for people.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:40 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,746 times
I've generally had good luck with the Basha's at 67th and DV, FWIW. I liked to shop there because I'd rather have my $$ go to an AZ resident that is active in the state rather than out-of-state or even out-of-country huge corporations (is Fry's still ultimately owned by Canadians? Not that there is anything _wrong_ with that, just that Eddie Basha does a LOT for our community in AZ, and I like to support him if I can.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area