Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM

47 posts, read 98,728 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

As we are narrowing down our house purchase we are also beginning to discuss planting mature shade trees to help keep the house cooler.

I am just beginning my research and wanted to see if anyone has gone through this process/project?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions!
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
I would recommend using native trees and planting them away from the house. Most of the nurseries around know what grows and doesn't grow here. I think Moon Valley usually has package deals.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 PM

47 posts, read 98,728 times
I saw that Moon Valley site; seems very comprehensive - I figured I'd start there when the comes time.

And yes I will be doing native trees.

J

Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 PM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Trees Native to Arizona (below 4,500 feet)

velvet mesquite (Prosopis velutina)
screwbean mesquite (Prosopis pubescens)
desert ironwood (Olneya tesota)
cat claw acacia (Acacia greggii)
white thorn acacia (Acacia constricta)
netleaf hackberry (Celtis laevigata var. reticulata)
foothills palo verde (Parkinsonia microphylla)
blue palo verde (Parkinsonia florida)
desert willow (Chilopsis linearis)

link

None of these will give you much relief in the way of shade....I'd expand the search....pecan, chinese elm maybe.....but both get huge and like water. Best bet is to talk to a nurseryman.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-20-2017, 11:58 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
Whatever you do, don't plant a Sissoo !!! very invasive.
And best to wait until Fall. The trees will have a better chance than in this heat.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM

494 posts, read 501,037 times
Before going to Moon Valley, I check with Elgin Tree Farm in Avondale. I've purchased 12 trees from them (3 mesquites, 1 palo verde, 1 live oak and 8 fruitless olives.

The mesquites give decent shade, they grow super fast, but I have a fire place...find a thornless variety. Green all year.
Plao Verde offers good shade. like the mesquite Super-fast growth,...again I have a fireplace.
The olives offer year-round moderate growth, love the heat, tough as nails. Green all year. Great look.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
My neighbors have mesquite trees and no way would I put them in my yard. They are a mess and they are constantly being blown over and cracked in the wind storms. My "Chinese Elm" trees have never had a problem other than losing their leaves each fall.

I have a fruitless olive and if I were to do it again my yard would be full of them.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Shamel ash is another tree a lot of people use.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:46 AM

494 posts, read 501,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
My neighbors have mesquite trees and no way would I put them in my yard. They are a mess and they are constantly being blown over and cracked in the wind storms. My "Chinese Elm" trees have never had a problem other than losing their leaves each fall.

I have a fruitless olive and if I were to do it again my yard would be full of them.
#1. There are seedless and thornless varieties...less mess. Do a web search on AZT (aridzonetrees.com) . They're trees can be purchased through Elgin Tree Farm in Avondale.

#2. Mesquites fall over because people over-water them causing the roots to stay close to the surface. The tree grows so fast, gets top-heavy and falls over. Once planted and established, I NEVER watered my mesquites (nor do I water my Palo Verde) and mine continue to grow like crazy weeds...LET THE ROOTS DIG DEEP FOR WATER so that they anchor properly; otherwise, they'll grow out of control.

Last edited by patrick85395; 06-21-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 03:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Are those the ones that drop all the yellow pollen? I have a 50'er in my front yard and when it starts dropping pollen my yard looks like it has yellow snow drifts. I have a love/hate relationship with that tree. Love the shade, hate paying $400 every year to have it cut back. I have been seriously been considering having it cut down and turn the stump into a table/seating area in the front yard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: