Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 PM

42 posts, read 48,764 times

Advertisements

Why would you revive a 10 year old thread

That being said this town has improved leaps and bounds from the time this thread was first created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,697 times
Have you had a chance to visit the northern part of the state. There is lots to see and do up here. Sedona has wonderful red rocks to hike to, the food is great, the shops and gallery's are, If you like rock, gems and minerals Crystal Magic has some great stuff. You don't want to miss a old mining town then Jerome is a must see, the view is worth the ride alone. We have several wineries that spread out in the verde valley, in the spring and summer there are kayaks you can rent and float down the verde river. There is so much to see in the Verde Valley. Hope this helps, I was born and raised in Southern Calif. it took me a while to adjust but im up here and your down there so good luck I hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:51 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,217,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchurainprez View Post

That being said this town has improved leaps and bounds from the time this thread was first created.

Because they want to see if anyone notices the age of the thread

Old 01-08-2019, 07:18 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,005,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchurainprez View Post

The bumping of long dead threads is one of the few instances I support mods locking threads. At least this time it didn't involve a quote of a previous post. That makes it even worse.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,382,796 times
We only work and sleep in Phoenix. Decent pay for an affordable place, traffic is manageable to get to work everyday, big house, lots of sunshine.

We drive when there is a need for "real" enjoyment. Weekend trip to the beach in San Diego/Rocky Pointe, partying in Las Vegas, visiting theme parks in LA and nature tripping in Sedona, Grand Canyon, and Flagstaff.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:05 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,726,528 times
When people talk about yearning for more culture here, it is not my impression that they're thinking of sports, nor bar-hopping, nor attending church, nor dog-walking, for that matter. So if you subtract all that from your list, and then also subtract ordinary tasks, like working out or gardening, you're not left with much.

Most people mean what might be called "high culture," such as opera, symphony, ballet, art cinema, museums -and there is not a whole lot of that. For people who like sports, though, I think it's fine here. You're right, adapting is fine, but let's not pretend Phoenix is more than it is.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 PM

640 posts, read 959,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Most people mean what might be called "high culture," such as opera, symphony, ballet, art cinema, museums -and there is not a whole lot of that.
Really? Pretty sure we have everything you mentioned here.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,217,753 times
Quote:
When people talk about yearning for more culture here, it is not my impression that they're thinking of sports, nor bar-hopping, nor attending church, nor dog-walking, for that matter. So if you subtract all that from your list, and then also subtract ordinary tasks, like working out or gardening, you're not left with much.

Most people mean what might be called "high culture," such as opera, symphony, ballet, art cinema, museums -and there is not a whole lot of that. For people who like sports, though, I think it's fine here. You're right, adapting is fine, but let's not pretend Phoenix is more than it is.

I’ve lived in London and right next to New York, of course there is no comparison but that doesn’t mean cultural opportunities don’t exist here. They just aren’t on the same scale, with the same kind of history, but that’s what you get when you choose to live here.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:25 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Really? Pretty sure we have everything you mentioned here.
Yeah. There is a lot of options for all that. Not every city is going to have a maybe legacy museum of ancient works.

There are plenty of fantastic museums though that cover a wide area.

The symphony has a nice venue and some really solid performers.

Ballet AZ has a good season with some classic shows mixed with more contemporary performances.

There are also other dance studios putting out quality work for those interested in such things.

This is an old thread and things just continue to grow.

There is a large variety of options here, definitely more than could be realistically taken in by any single individual. Communication and knowledge is difficult, but with a little effort not hard to find stuff

Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times
Quote:

This is a good statement and I’ll add let’s also not pretend Phoenix is less than it is. This isn’t 1990 Phoenix. Here’s just a sample of non-sports related activities that doesn’t even get down into the weeds of small locally owned art galleries and performing art groups.

MIM
Heard
Phoenix Art
SMOCA
ASU Art
Pueblo Grande
Western Spirit
Odysea Aquarium the largest in the Southwest
Phoenix Zoo
DBG’s amazing collection of desert plants
Arizona Science Center
The beyond successful first Friday events

Performing Arts
Live Broadway (downtown and Tempe)
Arizona Opera
Ballet Arizona
Phoenix Symphony
Valley Youth Theater
Cirque month+ shows in Glendale
Non-stop shows/events at Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale and Peoria performing arts centers.
Countless live music venues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area