Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:29 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,930,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
For some small weeds and a garbage can?

It's not like he's running a methlab or a dropbouse.
If it were a methlab or a drophouse, it wouldn't be the HOA that they would be dealing with. It would be cops and probably prison guards.

As far as the "small weeds" I'm betting they weren't small. And the garbage can outside for 2 days before pick up? Read the CC&R's and follow the rules. Don't like the rules? Move and it's best not to move into a HOA community again.

If very simple, really. You want to drive a car, you follow the rules of driving including speed limits and stop signs that you think are "nitpicky." You want to fly on an airplane, you deal with the "nitpicky" requirements imposed by TSA. You want to graduate from college, you do the "nitpicky" work, pay the tuition and pass your "nitpicky" courses.

In all these cases, you have a choice. Don't want to follow the rules? Find an alternative (and there are alternatives to every one of these examples.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 02:03 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,018,723 times
It certainly is a subject that brings out the hidden authoritarian in some.

I figure at least some of the "HOA, A-OK!" people just haven't had their own ox gored yet.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It certainly is a subject that brings out the hidden authoritarian in some.

I figure at least some of the "HOA, A-OK!" people just haven't had their own ox gored yet.
And perhaps that's because we bother to get involved by going to annual meetings, reading the financial statements, serving on committees, and if necessary (though it never has been) running for the Board of the HOA.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:18 PM

83 posts, read 73,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Who exactly is putting the notices on the door? That's ridiculous. What town is this?
It's in Gilbert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
None of that sounds "nitpicky" to me, and I wouldn't want you for a neighbor. I'm also willing to bet if you owned the property and considered an investment, you would quickly learn to appreciate that "nitpicky" HOA.
Good for you then? And no, I wouldn't. I literally said in the post that busted cars are in driveways and other neighbors have huge weeds and they're seemingly getting nothing (or completely ignoring it -- totally feasible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
For some small weeds and a garbage can?

It's not like he's running a methlab or a dropbouse.
Thank you! The garbage can was on the side of the house by our fence and put to the back, it's not like I had it on the street or on someone else's property either.

Quote:
If it were a methlab or a drophouse, it wouldn't be the HOA that they would be dealing with. It would be cops and probably prison guards.

As far as the "small weeds" I'm betting they weren't small. And the garbage can outside for 2 days before pick up? Read the CC&R's and follow the rules. Don't like the rules? Move and it's best not to move into a HOA community again.

If very simple, really. You want to drive a car, you follow the rules of driving including speed limits and stop signs that you think are "nitpicky." You want to fly on an airplane, you deal with the "nitpicky" requirements imposed by TSA. You want to graduate from college, you do the "nitpicky" work, pay the tuition and pass your "nitpicky" courses.

In all these cases, you have a choice. Don't want to follow the rules? Find an alternative (and there are alternatives to every one of these examples.)
They WERE small, thanks. Stop acting like a know it all. HOAs are annoying here. Great that you haven't experienced it but I have for the dumbest things. The garbage can was on the side of our house by our fence tucked away. Not out on the street. I mentioned it as an example, I have no issue with keeping it in the garage or even moving it to our backyard for next time. I just think it's really dumb that it was out for not even a full day and we got a notice on the door.

It's very simple, really. Let people have their own opinions and if you feel differently you can share that opinion without trying to say "oH I BET YOU'RE LYING!!!! You're probably one of THOSE neighbors!!" Sorry I can't stand HOAs because they can police people for the dumbest things and then do absolutely nothing when you and your neighbors are fed up with people that let their dog(s) bark for hours on end. That's a massive issue I have with HOAs. No need to be so smart about it.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:36 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,633,611 times
I disagree that HOAs preserve value, in my experience you pay a premium to avoid them. Make sure you compare a similar house outside of an HOA in the same area to see what you think.

I've not really seen much positive from the 5 HOAs I've lived in. The rules only apply to people that care. But this thread isn't the place for complaints, so I'll stress the positive I've found.

I've lived in one that had a swimming pool. It was nice to have access to a pool without having it hog up my yard. The cost of DIY maintenance, water and electric were probably about the same as the monthly HOA bill. That neighborhood in 'Tukee was also gated and pretty well maintained.

I've lived in a few that have "tot lots". It was nice to have well maintained small playgrounds and greenspace. Those HOAs had less kids playing in the streets, a definite bonus.

The big thing for me has always been to be pro-active with the HOA. Read the rules twice before you sign anything. Go to the meetings. realize that a lot of people end up complaining to the HOA because of a dispute with their neighbors. Sometimes the HOA is a referee more than the governing body it's meant to be.

Don't go by how the place currently looks. If the current HOA board is lax, the next people elected may be very authoritarian. Don't judge the place by the infractions you see driving around, that could all change at the whim of the people running the HOA.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:06 AM

728 posts, read 1,903,290 times
My parents live in a neighborhood with an HOA back in CA. Last year, on our way to Yosemite, we stopped by their home in our small motorhome and had planned on spending the night and leaving first thing in the morning. Well we weren't there more than 20 minutes before we received a paper citation from the HOA threatening to tow our motorhome if not removed from the neighborhood immediately. It wasn't parked on the main street in front of the house it was actually off on a side street where there were no homes or vehicle traffic so it was in no ones way. It wasn't a huge motorhome either. 24 feet long. Ended up cutting our visit short and spending the night at the local Walmart parking lot till the morning.

That's just one example but it was enough to convince me for life that I will never, ever EVER own a home where an HOA is present. They might work for some people but not me. I also work for a security patrol service that provides residential security for a few properties with HOA and some of them are insanely strict. Can't feel bad for the residents though. They knew what they were getting into when they bought the place.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:21 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,330,596 times
HOA's are worthless. There is no delicate way to say it. The board members are bored busy bodies with nothing better to do with their time. They enjoy drama and citing people for insignificant matters. They selectively enforce the rules. And often when you need their help, they are nowhere to be found especially when relevant matters take place.

Your neighbors also affect the HOA. If you have bad neighbors who also like to create drama, they will cite you for needless things. Good neighbors can make or break you. I have great neighbors but one of my former neighbors was a royal pain. Thankfully he moved out a long time ago.

When shopping for a home, if you can find one without an HOA, you will be better off. If you have to deal with an HOA, find one that has low dues. They are going to be a worthless pain in the butt no matter what so you might as well find one that isn't breaking your bank. HOA dues can vary significantly. YOu can have some that are reasonable $1000 per year and others that 5-20K per year if not more.

Finally, fight the HOA. If you are pain in the butt and don't take anything lying down, you will find they will leave you alone if possible. For example, if they cite you for something, make sure to take a photo of your neighbor's yards and make certain they are held to the some standards you are. They don't like that but it forces them to be fair and enforce the rules evenly. I had an HOA complaint about low lying trees. I fought them. I took pictures of my trees and then my neighbors trees and showed them. Asked them why my home was cited. Suddenly, I get a response that my house was the wrong house cited. It's human nature. People don't like confrontation and expending energy if they don't have to. If they know you are a neighbor who will fight back, they will not cite you for insignificant matters and will reserve any citation for legitimate grievances.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,330,596 times
Quote:
And perhaps that's because we bother to get involved by going to annual meetings, reading the financial statements, serving on committees, and if necessary (though it never has been) running for the Board of the HOA.
I wouldn't brag about that. Boasting about being involved with your HOA doesn't make you responsible, it suggests you have too much time on your hands. Perhaps some of us have better things to do with our time like working, spending time with our family, or volunteering in the community. There are thousands of things that one can do with their time other than getting involved with their HOA. I certainly have respect for rules. What I don't respect are selective enforcement of the rules and politics. An HOA is ultimately a contrived institution designed to serve no real purpose other than provide it's board members an outlet to feel a false sense of power.

Regarding your other point, if you want to live in any luxury neighborhood. It's going to have an HOA. It's not like you can really avoid one. It's a nuisance that we have to deal with.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-07-2017 at 12:52 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I wouldn't brag about that. Boasting about being involved with your HOA doesn't make you responsible, it suggests you have too much time on your hands. Perhaps some of us have better things to do with our time like working, spending time with our family, or volunteering in the community. There are thousands of things that one can do with their time other than getting involved with their HOA. I certainly have respect for rules. What I don't respect are selective enforcement of the rules and politics. An HOA is ultimately a contrived institution designed to serve no real purpose other than provide it's board members an outlet to feel a false sense of power.

Regarding your other point, if you want to live in any luxury neighborhood. It's going to have an HOA. It's not like you can really avoid one. It's a nuisance that we have to deal with.
We can respectfully disagree on nearly all our comments on this topic.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,068,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Here's where you went wrong in your statement. HOA's were contrived so the developer could get concessions from the City/County Building Department/County Councils when it comes to roadways,infrastructure,open space and density.

Developers, in order to build roads,sidewalks,frontages and setbacks narrower than normal codes allow and to not give up large swaths of open space to the county/city and/or to avoid having to build schools,fire departments etc to service their huge developments came up with this agreement in concert with Counties/Cities to remove all responsibility for administration of any rules or disputes by the municipality/courts thereby saving said municipality lots of money and time as well as aggravation of city/county employees.
Not to mention the municipalities get all these little parks (really retention ponds for runoff that are required anyway),roadway greenery and play equipment for FREE, stuff cities usually have to install and maintain out of property tax revenue is now put on the backs of the homeowners while they STILL pay the same property tax.

What a DEAL for all involved (except the homeowner of course) but we're told "it's a great thing to be living in a fiefdom (mini government)" that answers to nobody of any consequence.]
That is why HOA's were invented.

Last edited by jimj; 08-07-2017 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area