Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:28 PM

9 posts, read 20,247 times

Advertisements

I know, just as good as anyone, to consider the negatives in a situation, before jumping the gun. But I feel like this board, (and other people I speak to), are completely negative about the prospects of someone moving to Hawaii and actually succeeding. Most stories I have heard say 2 person households have to each work two jobs just to be able to make ends meet, among many other reasons why living in Hawaii just won't work.

I am wondering if there is anyone out there with positive experiences that they would like to share. Is there anyone that moved their family to Hawaii, that is totally loving it and genuinely feels like it was a successful move?

I feel like I am being bogged down by all the negatives and am starting to have a hard time viewing the positives. Somewhere I saw a comment where someone said, all the positive people are out enjoying themselves and enjoying the wonderful state they live in....not sitting at a computer complaining. Maybe this is the case?

I'd love to hear your positive stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 04:41 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,769 times
I don't think there are many negative posters here, just a lot of folks with a lot of different experiences trying to share and be realistic about a topic that is a "dream" for many people who don't live here already.

We're celebrating our 10th year here this month. I'd say it's been a very successful move and a positive experience. We've surmounted a few national and personal crises, found many new friends (visitors and kama'aina), and we're very happy on Maui. We have family on the east coast that we see here and there, we don't ever think about "rock fever," and we make the most of every day.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,507 times
There are a few of us here that have positive stories. It is not all doom and gloom and you are not destined to fail. You can enjoy life here without working 24-7. We dont live like a tourist, nor do we shop at the 7-11, for the famous 10.00 a gallon milk, I think we pay around 4.59 at Costco. I am retired and draw a small check every month, my wife has not went back to work since we moved here a year ago. True things are a little more here but I dont think they are out of this world high. Actually in our case it all works out to be about the same, drive less so a tank of gas will last about 3 weeks compared to 3 days, no heat bill, and have yet to use the airconditioning. We prefer the free things to entertain us and there is an unlimited amout of them here. House payment is about the same as it was before moving here. So really no big difference to us, I have friends who actually live cheaper here then they did in California, and I'm sure they will chime in here as well. The big draw back is going back to visit, but we have found that we get our fair share of visitors from back on the mainland. I think the talk of both hubby and wife working 2 jobs each to make ends meet is a little over blown. Yea, if you get a place that is out of this world expensive then maybe so, but there are places to be found that are reasonable. True, they may not be right in town and you might have to spend alot of time in traffic, but assuming one has done the least bit of research they must already expect traffic to be terrible after all it is an island. I cant speak for any of the other islands only Oahu. But hey its home now and always will be! Got to take the good with the not so good! Good luck in your research and your possible move.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,681,188 times
I, too, do not think that there is so much ”negative“ posting as people trying to be realistic and helpful. There are so many posts here from people who way they've visited the islands once and fell in love and want to move their whole family with no job and no place to live. There are also a lot of people who are out of work in _________ (name a city or state) and think that maybe moving to Hawaii will solve all their problems. Those of us who live in Hawaii just want these people to know that moving to a very small state, with its own culture, in the middle of the ocean is very, very different than moving from Maryland to Colorado.

My husband and I moved to Hawaii a year ago at the end of a seven year plan. We purchased a house in 2005 and used it as a vacation rental until we retired in 2010. We visited many, many times and did lots of research before we made the big move. We are very happy on the Big Island because we don't need jobs, we have a great community, and we love the scenery.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 PM

113 posts, read 252,500 times
I calculated that if our house was paid in full that our expenses would cost $3,700 in Hawaii. That would include income taxes, property taxes, house insurance, health insurance, utilities, groceries, and spending money for two retired people. I may be over estimating, but I feel overestimating is a safe bet.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,221,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiDreamin View Post
I know, just as good as anyone, to consider the negatives in a situation, before jumping the gun. But I feel like this board, (and other people I speak to), are completely negative about the prospects of someone moving to Hawaii and actually succeeding. Most stories I have heard say 2 person households have to each work two jobs just to be able to make ends meet, among many other reasons why living in Hawaii just won't work.

I am wondering if there is anyone out there with positive experiences that they would like to share. Is there anyone that moved their family to Hawaii, that is totally loving it and genuinely feels like it was a successful move?

I feel like I am being bogged down by all the negatives and am starting to have a hard time viewing the positives. Somewhere I saw a comment where someone said, all the positive people are out enjoying themselves and enjoying the wonderful state they live in....not sitting at a computer complaining. Maybe this is the case?

I'd love to hear your positive stories!
You probably just have a lot more research to do.

For example, your post implies that working or jobs is something that you'd have to do too....and your handle shows you are interested in Maui.

Maui is incredibly expensive and very rural as well. So, in my opinion its like moving to rural nowhereville in the U.S., but trying to afford housing prices that are Manhattan-like. It's just unlikely for most regular working people dependent on whatever local economy is there.

That being said, Honolulu is a larger city, and therefore more jobs. They still pay much less than their mainland counterpart, but at least they are jobs in general from a much wider range of employers than Maui.

Than there is the Big Island. This is the island that more modestly priced housing and rent and everything else. Not that many good jobs around, but at least housing costs are more in tune with the wages/salaries, at least compared to Maui anyways.

I don't think people are trying to discourage you from your dreams, but just trying to be helpful with helping you see the reality of Hawaii.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 AM

159 posts, read 367,647 times
We've been here three month now and love it! I've done the research and for OUR family of two, living in the "country" in Makaha Valley is wonderful. We save just in housing and utilities $1400/month, plus not driving 58 miles one way to commute from LA county to Orange county in gas/maintenance on the car. Like any where, we had to give up some things, but overall it is well worth it. I can tell you that for what we pay, we would not be one mile from the beach plus have beautiful green mountains right behind us in LA.

There are medical care centers that are affordable if you don't have insurance, I had to give up Cobra. Got good urgent care plus follow up for my regular health issues. DH has excellent VA care at Trippler.

Shopping wise be smart, stay out of 7-11 and the corner stores, just like Tim suggested. Now you can get a lot healthier and wealthier if you cut out the cigarettes, liquor and drugs out of your budget.

Do your research, make a Benjamin Franklin Pro/Con List for YOUR family situation, based on your financial situation and what you are willing to give up if necessary. Yes, it's tougher if you have children, but it can be done. A young couple with a little boy just moved in our building. She took a job as a teacher at one of the academies, he's doing boating tours out of Ko 'Olina. They're from Colorado and loving it. If one of you could secure a job at least that would make it easier. But life is short with no guarantees but death and taxes.

Good look and keep us posted on how things go!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:09 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,622,789 times
Plenty of positive experiences, but like others have said... you have to be realistic. If you have kids it is tough, if you are poor it is tough, if you like to travel it is tough. I absolutely loved it for about 5 years. I got older, got married, and my priorities changed but that doesn't make it a bad place just a tough place to raise a family and own a home (two things that became important). You just gotta figure out what is important to you and decide if it is a good move. I don't know anyone that has lived there who doesn't at least consider moving back from time to time so there are definitely a lot of positives.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:39 AM

66 posts, read 233,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie123 View Post
I calculated that if our house was paid in full that our expenses would cost $3,700 in Hawaii. That would include income taxes, property taxes, house insurance, health insurance, utilities, groceries, and spending money for two retired people. I may be over estimating, but I feel overestimating is a safe bet.
I take it that's per month.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:53 PM

113 posts, read 252,500 times
brkbowma:

Yes. That is a per month budget of $3,700.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii