Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 PM

102 posts, read 171,379 times

Advertisements

I'm doing great! Had a job and no debt when I arrived. Housing is about half what I paid in Los Angeles (in Hilo). Gas is a bit higher. I shop at farmer's markets and grocery store sales. Cable and internet are less than in California. Electricity is very high, that's true. Overall though, I'm having a great time. Supporting a family would be different. Having a job is KEY. I wouldn't have moved without one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 12:34 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
What wealth ultimately pays for is comfort and convenience. If you have that, there is nothing you cannot get or buy on any of the Hawaiian islands (unless it's emergency specialized surgery). I've visited a McMansion on the beach type home in Kauai (looked like a hotel) and it is just one of 4 such homes the owners live globally. Do they feel the pinch because they are in Hawaii? No.

So not being very wealthy forces the rest of us here to cut out some luxuries so we can focus on affording the basics. You have to be OK with the very basics and to be happy, not miss those luxuries, whatever they might be. What is basic may vary amongst everyone of course. Basics could be your income, your physical shelter, the vehicle you drive, whether you are living comfortably, whether you have friends, whether you don't mind "being poor with a view".

I've lived elsewhere and had a much higher standard of living. I'm OK with it sometimes, but I remind myself that there is a price for paradise. What that price is is different for every individual, and you don't know what it is till you move over and live here a while.

Every preconceived notion of living here after one moves over will most likely be dismantled. It will be replaced with a new understanding of living here, and a deeper appreciation for what life is about. There are no Joneses to compete with because everybody in your neighborhood is pretty much in the same predicament. In other words, no snobs to make you feel inferior for wearing something that's not the latest fashion.

I suggest anyone coming over: Be willing to learn, and be flexible. You may stay, you may leave. It doesn't matter -- it was an adventure.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 20,242 times
I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts! I think, in general, I tend to focus more on negatives than positives, so I see those or they stick out more than anything. I have read some positive posts, but lots are negative too. So I really appreciate everyone's posts and honest comments.

My husband and I are just recently married, and we just really want to move somewhere new and start our lives together. Hawaii just seems like the place for us. We are very sick of the cold, dreary, rainy Seattle and there just is not many places that we would consider moving to. We don't want CA or FL. We like Maui because of the small town feel that it has. Our move would definitely be a whole new adventure where we would be totally starting over. We are both mid-late 20's, so fairly young, with no children. We have really nothing keeping us where we are. We aren't settled in jobs and aren't incredibly tied to family. It would really just be a move for us to begin our lives together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I got older, got married, and my priorities changed but that doesn't make it a bad place just a tough place to raise a family and own a home (two things that became important).
I think that is one of the things that worries me the most. I feel like it would be a hard place to buy a home and eventually raise a family, which are both eventual goals for us. We aren't wanting that immediately, but probably within 5 years. My husband thinks raising a family there would be just fine and I shouldn't worry about that, but I do. I've mentioned bad schools (I am a teacher, and huge supporter of public schools and prefer high needs schools and know they can still be great schools), but he says that he went to a bad school and came out just fine and we just have to be supportive, active parents, which we would be of course.

Also, from what we've seen with houses, they aren't much higher than they are here, but they just aren't quite as nice for the price range. I'm just worried that our income won't provide enough room for us to be able to save enough to eventually buy a home, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post

So not being very wealthy forces the rest of us here to cut out some luxuries so we can focus on affording the basics. You have to be OK with the very basics and to be happy, not miss those luxuries, whatever they might be.
We have definitely already realized many "luxuries" that we would be giving up, and we are completely willing to do that. I just fear that eventually we would miss them and that living a simple life wouldn't be sustainable for us, even though we would be living in a place where we would love.

Obviously, we will never know that until we are there and we live that life. It's just a matter of deciding if taking that risk is worth it.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:09 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
You will be surprised how much I miss the rain after I spent yrs in San Fran hating it.

Now every time it rains here in Maui, I encounter others like myself who praise the rain and tell me how much they love it. When thunder and lightning come, it's a treat!

Because every day is boring sunshine! In the first 3 yrs, I enjoyed the sunshine. Then slowly, I got tired of it. I appreciate it but would welcome intermittent clouds and rain. 4 days of shine and 3 days of rain would be a perfect mixture. haha!

I think everything gets old. No matter what. Too much of one thing is not variety enough. At least for me.

So you may leave Seattle because of the gray skies....watch out because in 10yrs you will miss them.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 AM

270 posts, read 506,369 times
I have researched a lot. It appears that many if not most lease apartments are way too expensive regardless of where they are located, base cost alone. Utilities are another matter and cost more of course. To me, you may as well live in Florida w/o the hassles of island air fares and goods shipped. I lived in Florida too for several years and there were the same types that came to "paradise" and left. People do not plan or educate themselves. Wages in Florida are as described in Hawaii; LOW and usually service jobs unless a "professional". No state tax but prices are high, especially now and housing is high too. Sure -cheap places far away from the beaches but if that is your "dream", may as well live in Indiana! Hawaii is over hyped and usually due to those never a resident or some wide eyes tourists. asked a friend that had grown up in Maui several years ago, why she would not go back to any island in Hawaii. Her answers were typical to those here from people wanting to leave. Location for ANY person is always "individual" and as varied as the person. NO person can tell YOU what makes YOU happy. BUT, be ready for the necessity of realistic costs wherever you decide, versus your OWN ability to handle them.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 PM

52 posts, read 159,422 times
I think you should just visit Hawaii first before committing to moving here with the plan of raising a family in 5 years.

If you just want to get away from Seattle then do just that-get away from Seattle. Portland, Eugene, a California 'burb?

You see, you mention some items that are red flags:

1) Aren't settled in jobs? Does this mean you have a professional degree and aren't tied to a corporation or are still planning on going of to school to be something besides a teacher. (I applaud you for being a public school teacher-I went to public schools as well and am doing just fine)

Hawaii has a gigantic base of people who need jobs. I would make sure that you both have secured employment before making that flight across the big pond.

2) Home prices. Real estate can be a back breaker and Hawaii is no exception. If you are recently married and don't have a significant amount of money saved up then you will have some difficulty finding a home that you may like. Go to zillow.com or realtor.com and you can get a glimpse of your future. I currently rent because I already have one mortgage on the mainland and simply can't afford another without compromising my financial security bubble.

3) Kids. I have two. Kids are wonderful. When they are in the newborn-pre-kindergarten range you have few options other than to pay for them to go to daycare while you work or have "auntie" take care of them. Since you will be new to the islands I imagine you may not have any relatives who can help you with this task. Full time childcare is about $700-$1100 a month. Kamaainakids.com and seagullschools.com are two places that I researched and would take my kids to if I needed to.

Hawaii can be a great place to live if you are able to stay within your means and be happy with where you are staying.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:05 AM

23 posts, read 56,815 times
Wow, what a wealth of great information this thread is! Thanx and kudos to you all for taking the time to go into such detail and offering your genuine advice so freely and without a condescending attitude. I am moving to Hawaii myself and have been doing lots of research. Actually, I have been determined to move ever since I visited years ago but couldn't find an opportunity to do so until now. I have secured employment and housing and my son and I are so excited we can't hardly stand it. It's a huge commitment as we will need to sell everything - I can't afford to ship it all over, but we are willing to make that sacrifice to be able to finally make our dream a reality. I know that the "honeymoon" won't last forever, but I hope to keep the magic alive and well, and make this move my last. As for the OP's comments about hearing so much negative, I can definitely relate but I haven't found it on this forum. It usually comes from negative mainlanders who moved away from Hawaii as a result of unrealistic expectations and ignoring truthful advice before moving there. Or from the idiots who have never even been to an island but like to make themselves feel smart by repeating the cliche'd exaggerations they heard from uncle Ned. However, reality is truth, whether it be positive or negative, and to be aware of it is essential in order to adjust to island life. Aloha!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,923 times
Hi Good luck and God be with you whenyou move. Hawaii is a beutiful place and full of amazing views and scents! I am excited for you!

Old 10-01-2011, 05:38 PM

129 posts, read 389,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie123 View Post
I calculated that if our house was paid in full that our expenses would cost $3,700 in Hawaii. That would include income taxes, property taxes, house insurance, health insurance, utilities, groceries, and spending money for two retired people. I may be over estimating, but I feel overestimating is a safe bet.
Why move so far away if all you're going to change is your address? Shop at regular intervals at the same international big box retailers, eat from the same international fast food outlets. Why leave the comfort of where you are just for better weather, if you're going to be living the same life, getting the same things, same expenses, same tokens on the game board?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 PM

23 posts, read 56,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
Why move so far away if all you're going to change is your address? Shop at regular intervals at the same international big box retailers, eat from the same international fast food outlets. Why leave the comfort of where you are just for better weather, if you're going to be living the same life, getting the same things, same expenses, same tokens on the game board?
Wow Razz...I don't recall Sadie saying anything about "shopping at international big box retailers", or eating from "the same international fast food outlets"...or even mentioning fast food?? Sounds like you're assuming a lot here...and ya know what happens when we assume...but in this case you can take the "me" off the end of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii