Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 20,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbartist View Post
Live in Lakewood, WA and planning a move too. Hoping for June of 2012! Best of luck to everyone, we love HI and our plan is to move to Oahu.
We are thinking August of 2012....but we're open to later...we just want to have a specific amount of money saved....and maybe a teaching job for me

crazy you're so close. so funny how many of us WA people are trying to move to HI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 03:36 PM

174 posts, read 349,417 times
My dad resides in Oahu most of the year and heads back here for the summer, he says it is too hot. We don't think so, because that is when we head there and use his place

Saving, planning, saving, pay off things (like a car we plan to ship), saving, fixing/repairing stuff in our current house getting ready to sell it, purging, saving, purging and working on being hired for a work-at-home job. Just waiting on our new computer to arrive (which we needed anyway), so I can finish testing and start work here that I can take with me until I find work over there too. Will most likely continue the work-at-home job as well as finding a job in Oahu. Have to do, what we have to do to make it come true.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:14 PM

9 posts, read 20,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbartist View Post
My dad resides in Oahu most of the year and heads back here for the summer, he says it is too hot. We don't think so, because that is when we head there and use his place

Saving, planning, saving, pay off things (like a car we plan to ship), saving, fixing/repairing stuff in our current house getting ready to sell it, purging, saving, purging and working on being hired for a work-at-home job. Just waiting on our new computer to arrive (which we needed anyway), so I can finish testing and start work here that I can take with me until I find work over there too. Will most likely continue the work-at-home job as well as finding a job in Oahu. Have to do, what we have to do to make it come true.
luckily we have nothing really tying us here, like a house, so that's nice. But I agree with everything else you said. We are going to try to pay off a car that we have a loan on right now first, and then probably sell it, and just take one car with us, and prob buy a scooter there to use for our second "car". I'd love to find a work-at-home job....that would be so nice to have because it would ensure income when we got there...
We want to have enough money saved up to be able to pay rent for one year. I think that would really help us survive and make it sustainable. At least, I hope. "fingers crossed"

Old 10-07-2011, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,519 times
I was born and raised in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. I am part Hawaiian. I moved to the Big Island of Hawai'i in the district of Puna/Keaau and lived there for 20 years. I currently live in the state of Washington.

Hawaii can be a beautiful place to live. When you get off the plane in Hawaii you immediately smell the lovely fragrance of flower leis. There is a diverse ethnic culture there that we all appreciated when growing up. It's amazing at the diversity of foods available and that's the one thing that I miss. Every child grows up tasting foods from all types of cultures. No child ever turned their noses up at what was being served at any party we attended. It was all good!

The Hawaiian culture is all encompassing. All adults are called "aunty or uncle" by all the children even if you weren't related to them. There is a great respect for older ones called "kupunas". There's a love for the culture, the land and the people. We all looked after one another, neighbors, friends, etc. Sitting on the beach and smelling the salty air, watching the surfers and boogie boarders was something we did every chance we could. There's nothing like the smell of teriyaki meats cooking on a charcoal grill by the ocean. You can never forget the music of Hawai'i with its slack key style. My father was a musician in a Hawaiian group and it was great listening to their songs and style of music. Practically every family had someone who played or entertained Hawaiian music. The cultural events that happened every year were waited for with great anticipation. It was a wonderful time growing up in Hawaii.

However, just like in any society, things change. Whenever I go back to visit the islands the scenery is still the same but the "Aloha" has seemed to diminish. Yes, it is expensive to live there, I know that too well. Just trying to make ends meet was a challenge. I lived there during shipping strikes when there was no food on the grocery shelves due to panic buying. 97% of all goods is shipped into Hawai'i!

As in any place you choose to live, you will experience prejudice there even tho' there is a diversity of cultures. The crime rate is high and I would never suggest living in a "shack, car, camper" for any length of time or else you will risk theft. The drug scene is on the rise there and theft is common especially on the Big Island. Unemployment is very high, too. I moved from Hawai'i due to economics. It is just cheaper to live on the "mainland". Our dollar goes further than it did in Hawai'i.

Yes, it is a beautiful place to live, but like anything else, do your homework. Hope my experience helps.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 9,915 times
Default Moving to Hawaii

My wife and I moved to Kauai 3 months ago, so although we are new to the state and to the Island, we have had nothing but positive experiences. My Wife is a teacher, and I am just getting into Real Estate. It is important to understand that Hawaii is expensive, but so is many other parts of the USA. We moved from Michigan where milk is $2. On kauai milk is from 4.69-7.50 a gallon. BUT its all about how you decide to live your life. I am 25 my wife is 23. you can survive on $20,000/year for 1 or 2 people out here no problem. Anything more is icing on the cake. Thankfully my wife is a teacher so we have consistent income while I venture into Real Estate. I wish everyone the best of luck when moving out here and would encourage everyone to live their dream. If you would like to read more about our adventure out here, we have been writing in our blog about everyday.

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-13-2011 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: dude do not add your e mail addy here

Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 AM

406 posts, read 866,577 times
[quote=cbeadle86;21208270]My wife and I moved to Kauai 3 months ago, so although we are new to the state and to the Island, we have had nothing but positive experiences. My Wife is a teacher, and I am just getting into Real Estate. It is important to understand that Hawaii is expensive, but so is many other parts of the USA. We moved from Michigan where milk is $2. On kauai milk is from 4.69-7.50 a gallon. BUT its all about how you decide to live your life. I am 25 my wife is 23. you can survive on $20,000/year for 1 or 2 people out here no problem. Anything more is icing on the cake. Thankfully my wife is a teacher so we have consistent income while I venture into Real Estate. I wish everyone the best of luck when moving out here and would encourage everyone to live their dream. If you would like to read more about our adventure out here, we have been writing in our blog about everyday.

Aloha Cory,

I. Congratulations on the move and getting your real estate license. You guys are doing great.

Mickey

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-13-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 03:50 AM

805 posts, read 1,510,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiDreamin View Post
I agree, that was a wonderful post. I think that's definitely what it's all about.....and for life in general. Focusing on the positives is most important. I think with all of those positives, I can deal with some of the negatives.....I don't know about the spiders though....

? about the bolded..... How do locals get out to Molokini? Do you use/rent your own boat? Tell me you don't pay tour prices do you? There's gotta be another way?

I went on a 8-ft zodiac owned by a friend who goes fishing a lot and knows where the dolphins are!

I guess you could book a private tour boat to do that too.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
I've had a very positive experience moving to Hawaii. I grew up in Chicago, moved to San Francisco in my late 20's and spent 15 years there, lived in Europe a year, and spent a lot of time in Asia for work. I've lived in Hawaii for 4 years now and wouldn't move back.

My advice (and I understand exceptions to the below):

You will have a lot less disposable income. Incomes are not proportionally higher to offset the high expenses of living on a remote island. While I'm fortunate to have a six-figure income here, I make over 50% less here in Hawaii, and don't have anywhere near the same lifestyle I had on the mainland. Expenses in Honolulu are comparable to San Francisco (or more) without the income to match. Gas is still over $4/gallon here.

Have a plan to build relationships so you can get a job. Hawaii is all about relationships. Sending resumes out to Hawaii from the mainland with rare exeptions (think specialized skills) go to the trash. Optimally get a job that transfers you to Hawaii - or get a job that gets you to Hawaii on business. Build up your linkedin network. If linkedin doesn't match your skills or network, get a good trade, like a plumber or electrician, something licensed. A lot of being successful here is who you know. While living in SF, Hawaii was part of my territory for software implementations, I was here often and built a network over a few years.

Hawaii isn't what you see on TV - nor is it a reality of what you do on vacation. It has its own benefits and drawbacks - you need to come here and spend time here not as a tourist. I go nuts when I see the "I'm drawn to Hawaii" posts even though they've never been here.

Save some money before you come, at least 6 months worth - don't underestimate the expenses and job search.

Understand family and friends aren't going to rush to see you in Hawaii several times a year - it is an expensive trip and you'll likely not have room for them in your small apartment - and if you want to visit home over Thanksgiving or Xmas, wait until you see the airfare (it is high!). You should know the flight from Chicago to Hawaii is longer than Chicago to London.

Understand this is a multi-cultural state, if you've never left the midwest (or wherever), Hawaii can be a shock to you. Also, if you aren't comfortable with and embrace asian culture, good luck. Hawaii is one of only 2 states where caucasions are not the majority.

If you have pets, it takes over 120 days and a lot of planning and money to bring your cat/dog over.

So, build relationships, save money, be open-minded to other cultures, do some research on the people and the state, visit not as a tourist, be realistic, and then......enjoy!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 AM

23 posts, read 56,843 times
Wow Whtviper1! Awesome post! I live in Waikiki now and couldn't agree more with everything you said!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM

174 posts, read 349,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Daydreamer View Post
Wow Whtviper1! Awesome post!
Ditto, I cut and pasted it into an email to the hubster. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii