Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times

Advertisements

I've only been on the island for about a month, and I can't really think of one negative thing about the move. Our teenager is bored, because she hasn't made any friends yet, but that will probably pass when school starts. Of course we came from Alaska which has many of the same issues as Hawaii, so your mileage may vary. Our cost of living here is substantially less than what we were accustomed to, so having some financial breathing room and looking at earlier retirement just adds a lot of WOW! to an already great experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 31,816 times
I love living in Honolulu. No city is perfect. I was born and raised in New Jersey and I loved NYC, but hated the cold. Moved to LA and loved the weather and the things you can do there. Married and moved to Atlanta and hated it. Too hot and I don't like the Southern way. I find Hawai'i to be similar to CA but with better weather and friendliness. I miss some of the things I could get on the Mainland and you can't get a lot of things shipped. But I like my job, the people I encounter, the beach and the weather. I don't feel like it is an island on Oahu because it is so built up, you don't see the ocean as easily as you do in Maui. There is always something going on and most of the festivities are free. We are glad we came and don't feel we want to live anywhere else. I read all the negative stuff too and was so worried. Turns out, people are people and the same all over. It's you that makes something good or bad, not the place. Home is what you make it. And we are making Hawai'i our home for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii