Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeadle86 View Post
My wife and I moved to Kauai 3 months ago, so although we are new to the state and to the Island, we have had nothing but positive experiences. My Wife is a teacher, and I am just getting into Real Estate. It is important to understand that Hawaii is expensive, but so is many other parts of the USA. We moved from Michigan where milk is $2. On kauai milk is from 4.69-7.50 a gallon. BUT its all about how you decide to live your life. I am 25 my wife is 23. you can survive on $20,000/year for 1 or 2 people out here no problem. Anything more is icing on the cake. Thankfully my wife is a teacher so we have consistent income while I venture into Real Estate. I wish everyone the best of luck when moving out here and would encourage everyone to live their dream. If you would like to read more about our adventure out here, we have been writing in our blog about everyday.
How can you survive on $20k? After taxes that's probably about $16k... After health insurance for two people, $10k. That's not even enough to cover rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I love skating w skate groups wakaki
Ala moana park inner channel and china town r great on skates

Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
How can you survive on $20k?
IF you own your house outright, I think it can be done. If not, I would love to know how you do it!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
My wife and I moved to Kauai 3 months ago, so although we are new to the state and to the Island, we have had nothing but positive experiences. My Wife is a teacher, and I am just getting into Real Estate. It is important to understand that Hawaii is expensive, but so is many other parts of the USA. We moved from Michigan where milk is $2. On kauai milk is from 4.69-7.50 a gallon. BUT its all about how you decide to live your life. I am 25 my wife is 23. you can survive on $20,000/year for 1 or 2 people out here no problem. Anything more is icing on the cake. Thankfully my wife is a teacher so we have consistent income while I venture into Real Estate. I wish everyone the best of luck when moving out here and would encourage everyone to live their dream. If you would like to read more about our adventure out here, we have been writing in our blog about everyday.
Oh come on, poverty level for 2 people is $17,000/year in Hawaii - survive on $20K no problem? It all depends on how you define no problem I guess.

2011 Poverty Guidelines, Federal Register Notice

Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 AM

12 posts, read 34,697 times
Quote:
I would love to read it. I'm 30, single and making the move in 2 weeks.

To the OP: I agree, this board is the most negative I have ever "noticed". However your thread somehow made people appear more humble and wanting to help instead of discourage. I enjoyed reading this thread and feel I got something out of it. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
Why move so far away if all you're going to change is your address? Shop at regular intervals at the same international big box retailers, eat from the same international fast food outlets. Why leave the comfort of where you are just for better weather, if you're going to be living the same life, getting the same things, same expenses, same tokens on the game board?

I have an answer. Because people have a fantasy in their minds where the grass is greener. Perhaps it IS greener, or IS NOT, but until they go to this new place, they will never know if they are able to live their fantasy. The thought of never living this fantasy is more regretful and depressing than the thought of losing what they have now.

I used to be a nomad, moving every few years or even less, between states and countries, across continents...looking for utopia. And my discovery is that ultimately, wherever we go, we're still on the same planet, bumping into similar types of people (grumpy, happy, boring, nice, and mean ones). It's our dream that we are feeding, but reality is, it's more about what we make of our lives wherever we are, less about where we are geographically.

I've posted before how I was bored of Maui after so many yrs and needed to leave. Now, I don't feel the same way. You see, if I can get excited about Maui in the beginning and then bored of it, then ANY place in the world would eventually be boring too. It's my own life that bored me, not Maui.

So I changed my perspectives and goals, and life is once again exciting and I'm absorbed in achieving my goals. And the excitement has nothing to do with living here, but everything to do with what I did with myself.

I used to be highly location-dependent to be happy (hence my nomadic tendencies). Now I know that taking short (or long) trips can take care of any restlessness and curiosity, but I'm no longer seeking greener pastures. (They don't exist!)

Of course if one rarely goes anywhere, moving can be good as it forces you to confront change. It's an enriching experience. Just realize being happy can still be elusive.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
Feel your fear and do it anyway! Just move take a chance and see how it works for you. People are perfections freaks, somehow things will work out one way or another. Having tons of money is overrated, money doesn't buy hapiness, its the people involved in your life that do. Lot's of immigrants move to the US and survive, you can too. If you build up your network, things will be ok, it takes about two years to break into a crowd. Good luck my friend. I moved here on Saturday to take care of my dad, yesterday I got a PT job, I'm not going to be rich, but it helps me meet people and in January I will start my job search.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM

97 posts, read 279,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I have an answer. Because people have a fantasy in their minds where the grass is greener. Perhaps it IS greener, or IS NOT, but until they go to this new place, they will never know if they are able to live their fantasy. The thought of never living this fantasy is more regretful and depressing than the thought of losing what they have now.

I used to be a nomad, moving every few years or even less, between states and countries, across continents...looking for utopia. And my discovery is that ultimately, wherever we go, we're still on the same planet, bumping into similar types of people (grumpy, happy, boring, nice, and mean ones). It's our dream that we are feeding, but reality is, it's more about what we make of our lives wherever we are, less about where we are geographically.

I've posted before how I was bored of Maui after so many yrs and needed to leave. Now, I don't feel the same way. You see, if I can get excited about Maui in the beginning and then bored of it, then ANY place in the world would eventually be boring too. It's my own life that bored me, not Maui.

So I changed my perspectives and goals, and life is once again exciting and I'm absorbed in achieving my goals. And the excitement has nothing to do with living here, but everything to do with what I did with myself.

I used to be highly location-dependent to be happy (hence my nomadic tendencies). Now I know that taking short (or long) trips can take care of any restlessness and curiosity, but I'm no longer seeking greener pastures. (They don't exist!)

Of course if one rarely goes anywhere, moving can be good as it forces you to confront change. It's an enriching experience. Just realize being happy can still be elusive.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,250 times
Do your research, save your money, expect to make do with less and be richer for the experience. Aloha.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:10 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
I have lived in Maui for almost 2 years. I LOVE MY LIFE. I work hard, love my job and my surroundings. There are some negative things, not everything is perfect, but I am so happy I moved and I love Maui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii