Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:16 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,246,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawev View Post
I appreciate the opinion and I agree, to an extent, that the off peak price hike would certainly discourage large amounts of off peak energy usage in general whether pre-cooling or otherwise. However on the Saver Max plan, the off peak went from .0475 to .0523 which would be $4.80 difference for 1000 kWh. If by pre-cooling I can avoid on-peak kWh's at .08683 and increased demand, and keep me overall more comfortable then it may still be a winner.

I'll have to do a few experiments to be sure. I doubt the pre-cooling would last more than 3 hours before it reached the set temperature, however I don't agree that keeping it at 78 vs 83 is only a few bucks difference and it would certainly jack up the demand. Also I would argue that it is far less wear on the unit to start up once and run for an hour and then not run for the next 3 hours vs starting and stopping 15 times in those same 3 hours.
The way you mention demand I'm not entirely sure you understand how that is calculated. Not trying to be insulting here so please don't take it that way. Your demand is calculated based on the highest single usage at once, so all appliances running at the same time. Your AC unit's demand is the exact same if it is set at 60 or 100 there is no difference in how much electricity it is using in any given minute while it is on. So your demand for the month can be set if your AC kicks on one day in the entire month for 5 minutes or if it running 24/7 the demand is the exact same for that one appliance, lets assume absolutely nothing else is using electricity for simplicity. As far as demand is concerned 78 and 83 mean nothing if it turns on once during peak hours at 83.

The real issue with demand rates is around cooking dinner since those appliances have huge bursts of energy usage, microwave and oven, and add a lot of heat to a house causing the AC to turn on at the same time. Lets say you decide to make a roast for dinner so you turn the oven on to heat up and you turn a burner on at the same time to brown roast in a pan before it goes into the over. You may even microwave some frozen vegetables for a side and while cooking you are in and out of the fridge getting everything you need to cook with. Your oven heating up and a burner on is now your monthly demand plus the microwave usage and the fridge has heated up from being opened so that turns on and now you are running 4 high demand appliances at once setting your demand for the entire month. Add your AC onto that because that oven heats up the house and you are easily at a demand rate of 10 or more for the entire month based on one dinner, and it only gets worse if you had used hot water to wash some dishes or something before cooking the hot water heater is still on. This nightly routine for most households (I'd assume but who knows) is the target of APS with demand rates.

If you want to cut demand costs your AC temp isn't a very effective way to do that since it's electricity usage is static while on no matter the setting the only thing the temp difference does is change how often it turns on and how long it runs while on but neither of those will effect your demand rate. More reliable and cost effective ways to manage demand is to turn the AC off completely while cooking so it doesn't turn on when the oven/microwave are on, manage oven and microwave usage if possible so neither is running at the same time, wire in a timer to your hot water heater is a minor way to cut demand but with the new rates would probably only take 1-3 years to return its cost in savings (they don't use a ton of electricity at any one given time but they do use a lot over the year and we have hot pipes in the summer anyway so it doesn't really need to be on all day), and don't run small appliances during peak hours (coffee makers, stand mixers, etc.). For summer demand if you manage everything right the lowest demand rate you are going to see is probably a 6-8 which is your basic electronics (TVs, computers), fridge, and AC all at once. You can't predict when the fridge is going to turn on (it is 53 outside at 8 am with all my windows open and my 3 year old fridge is running as I write this post) so you will inevitably have the fridge and the AC on together at some point during the month. Didn't mention the dishwasher or laundry because no one who watches their electricity usage so much that they keep their house at 83 will have them on during peak hours anyway.

As for wear on the AC unit itself they are designed to turn on and off repeatedly. Running it for hours on end as people do when pre-cooling can cause excessive moisture build up on the coil and that moisture will freeze (picture below of a 4 year old unit completely ruined in a rental where the tenant has been for 6 years and they used to pre-cool to 68). Over time that can cause corrosion on the coil, especially on the outsides where the piping is larger so there is more area for moisture to collect on. That corrosion will causing the rusting shown and will lead to a coolant leak which will cause the AC to run longer since it isn't blowing as cold and eventually stop cooling altogether. A similar problem occurs when the filter isn't changed regularly enough, lack of proper airflow causes odd suction so the condensate stays on the coil instead of dripping off. A cheap coil replacement is probably $1500, the one in the picture cost me $2200 last year (again on a 4 year old unit).
Attached Thumbnails
APS Electric-img_20160406_100829045.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 10:23 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,181,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
The way you mention demand I'm not entirely sure you understand how that is calculated. Not trying to be insulting here so please don't take it that way. Your demand is calculated based on the highest single usage at once, so all appliances running at the same time. Your AC unit's demand is the exact same if it is set at 60 or 100 there is no difference in how much electricity it is using in any given minute while it is on. So your demand for the month can be set if your AC kicks on one day in the entire month for 5 minutes or if it running 24/7 the demand is the exact same for that one appliance, lets assume absolutely nothing else is using electricity for simplicity. As far as demand is concerned 78 and 83 mean nothing if it turns on once during peak hours at 83.
Hi AZ Manager,
Thanks for a great explanation around demand rates and AC units. In a way it's kind of tragic that a great family routine -dinner together- is targeted for higher prices. So many families don't do dinner together anymore and it's a marker of dysfunction (not a law, a correlation). My wife will not change her routine under no circumstances.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:25 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,181,863 times
Did anyone here experience a jump in monthly APS bills following the rate change? Or is this yet to come when people are moved to new plans?

Old 11-23-2017, 01:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
We haven't so I'm guessing we'll get hosed come rate change day...

Old 11-23-2017, 04:38 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,949,361 times
Quote:

The real issue with demand rates is around cooking dinner since those appliances have huge bursts of energy usage, microwave and oven, and add a lot of heat to a house causing the AC to turn on at the same time. Lets say you decide to make a roast for dinner so you turn the oven on to heat up and you turn a burner on at the same time to brown roast in a pan before it goes into the over. You may even microwave some frozen vegetables for a side and while cooking you are in and out of the fridge getting everything you need to cook with. Your oven heating up and a burner on is now your monthly demand plus the microwave usage and the fridge has heated up from being opened so that turns on and now you are running 4 high demand appliances at once setting your demand for the entire month. Add your AC onto that because that oven heats up the house and you are easily at a demand rate of 10 or more for the entire month based on one dinner, and it only gets worse if you had used hot water to wash some dishes or something before cooking the hot water heater is still on. This nightly routine for most households (I'd assume but who knows) is the target of APS with demand rates.

If you want to cut demand costs your AC temp isn't a very effective way to do that since it's electricity usage is static while on no matter the setting the only thing the temp difference does is change how often it turns on and how long it runs while on but neither of those will effect your demand rate. More reliable and cost effective ways to manage demand is to turn the AC off completely while cooking so it doesn't turn on when the oven/microwave are on, manage oven and microwave usage if possible so neither is running at the same time, wire in a timer to your hot water heater is a minor way to cut demand but with the new rates would probably only take 1-3 years to return its cost in savings (they don't use a ton of electricity at any one given time but they do use a lot over the year and we have hot pipes in the summer anyway so it doesn't really need to be on all day), and don't run small appliances during peak hours (coffee makers, stand mixers, etc.). For summer demand if you manage everything right the lowest demand rate you are going to see is probably a 6-8 which is your basic electronics (TVs, computers), fridge, and AC all at once. You can't predict when the fridge is going to turn on (it is 53 outside at 8 am with all my windows open and my 3 year old fridge is running as I write this post) so you will inevitably have the fridge and the AC on together at some point during the month. Didn't mention the dishwasher or laundry because no one who watches their electricity usage so much that they keep their house at 83 will have them on during peak hours anyway.

As for wear on the AC unit itself they are designed to turn on and off repeatedly. Running it for hours on end as people do when pre-cooling can cause excessive moisture build up on the coil and that moisture will freeze (picture below of a 4 year old unit completely ruined in a rental where the tenant has been for 6 years and they used to pre-cool to 68). Over time that can cause corrosion on the coil, especially on the outsides where the piping is larger so there is more area for moisture to collect on. That corrosion will causing the rusting shown and will lead to a coolant leak which will cause the AC to run longer since it isn't blowing as cold and eventually stop cooling altogether. A similar problem occurs when the filter isn't changed regularly enough, lack of proper airflow causes odd suction so the condensate stays on the coil instead of dripping off. A cheap coil replacement is probably $1500, the one in the picture cost me $2200 last year (again on a 4 year old unit).
A little bit TL : DR but I wanted to point out that with APS, Demand is not measured at the highest point during the month, its actually measured over an entire hour and resets every hour on the hour. So it doesn’t matter if you have your AC, dryer and oven all running at the same time, or if you have your AC run for 20 min, your dryer for 20 min and your oven for 20 min, your Demand will be the same. With APS, your Demand is essentially the same as your highest one one hour of electric usage for that month, during on-peak hours.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Did anyone here experience a jump in monthly APS bills following the rate change? Or is this yet to come when people are moved to new plans?
Not sure if anyone here has personally, but these people in the news story did:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...ngs/836271001/

Old 11-23-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:

My AC hasn't been on since the end of October and the (gas) heat won't be on until the end of December if it ever actually cools down.
I dont know how people do this honestly - does the AC literally not turn on, or you manually turned it off?
We leave ours at the same temp all year, 77º for cool and 72º for heat (Nest themostat that can be set for both cool and heat at the same time) and the AC has been turning on daily. I just looked at the history now in th app and the AC ran for 3 hours yesterday (I think we did have it a bit lower as some guests were over), 30 min the day befor, 30 min day before that, 1.5 hours day before. In the past 10 days, there was only one day that the AC did not turn on for at least 30 min.

I should probably add that we never open the windows though, took off all the screens (hate the non clear view with screens on the windows).

Old 11-23-2017, 06:21 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,246,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I dont know how people do this honestly - does the AC literally not turn on, or you manually turned it off?
We leave ours at the same temp all year, 77º for cool and 72º for heat (Nest themostat that can be set for both cool and heat at the same time) and the AC has been turning on daily. I just looked at the history now in th app and the AC ran for 3 hours yesterday (I think we did have it a bit lower as some guests were over), 30 min the day befor, 30 min day before that, 1.5 hours day before. In the past 10 days, there was only one day that the AC did not turn on for at least 30 min.

I should probably add that we never open the windows though, took off all the screens (hate the non clear view with screens on the windows).
It is manually turned off and the windows are open. Little warm inside today while cooking but nice overall still.

Side question for you HX_guy, one of my neighbors has been saying that your company is owned by Sunrun, is that true?

Old 11-23-2017, 06:28 PM

Is it a desire of just not wanting the AC on or a money saving one? Cost wise for the AC to run 1 hour is about $0.75.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 PM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
A little bit TL : DR but I wanted to point out that with APS, Demand is not measured at the highest point during the month, its actually measured over an entire hour and resets every hour on the hour. So it doesn’t matter if you have your AC, dryer and oven all running at the same time, or if you have your AC run for 20 min, your dryer for 20 min and your oven for 20 min, your Demand will be the same. With APS, your Demand is essentially the same as your highest one one hour of electric usage for that month, during on-peak hours.
I'm not sure that I understand your post completely, but if you are thinking peak demand is instantaneous use this is incorrect. It makes a difference both what you use and HOW LONG YOU USE it. A huge difference. The whole enchilada, because usage is averaged over the hour. My peak in winter is usually 2 or less and my ac runs often either for heating or cooling, but it does not run very long. In summer it will run flat out for an entire hour in August and peak demands in August are around 7. Anyway, here is an explanation from APS. I may have linked this earler, so apologies if that is the case:

http://www.azenergyfuture.com/getmed....pdf/?ext=.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area