Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:01 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,973,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Get on the Combined Advantage Plan and get an understanding of the demand structure. Your "unbelievable" first bill was likely not on a time of use plan.
The Combined Advantage is being replaced on Sept 1st and unless yo have solar, all customers will be moved to APS's new plans - no more plan grandfathering.

Also, why isn't anything talking about APS's off peak summer rates going up 78%? All I keep seeing is a $6/month increase being thrown around but that's such BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:07 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,702,252 times
If the ACC approves these new rate increases then they will have fulfilled the reason for why APS pushed so heavily for some of them to get elected. The claims of only an additional $6 a month are nonsense, if you look at what they are demanding in totality then it would hit the average homeowner for hundreds of dollars more per year at minimum.

If these new increases are allowed, it will be the direct consequence of people voting straight party ticket rather than evaluating candidates individually.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
If the ACC approves these new rate increases then they will have fulfilled the reason for why APS pushed so heavily for some of them to get elected. The claims of only an additional $6 a month are nonsense, if you look at what they are demanding in totality then it would hit the average homeowner for hundreds of dollars more per year at minimum.

If these new increases are allowed, it will be the direct consequence of people voting straight party ticket rather than evaluating candidates individually.
I've plugged the new rates into a spreadsheet, changing the old rate to the new rate, and looks to be about a 25% increase in the rate. The overall bill will go up less than that, because there are line items on the bill that are not related to the actual rates, but those are a small part of the bill.

The 78% increase in summer off peak rates still blows my mind..78 PERCENT! Its so high people think it must be wrong.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:48 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,702,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I've plugged the new rates into a spreadsheet, changing the old rate to the new rate, and looks to be about a 25% increase in the rate. The overall bill will go up less than that, because there are line items on the bill that are not related to the actual rates, but those are a small part of the bill.

The 78% increase in summer off peak rates still blows my mind..78 PERCENT! Its so high people think it must be wrong.

Things such as this would drive more people to do solar if APS wasn't constantly looking to make it more financially prohibitive to do so.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:45 AM

164 posts, read 185,142 times
If I had any desire to go solar (which I don't) this would do it for me. The worry of spending all that money and then have the power company do a switch-a-roo with the rates. I have been trying to do energy efficiency and Energy Star appliances. I have read stories about our great orange leader doing away with the Energy Star program all together. That always seemed like a a good way to shop for a new refrigerator or other appliance. Why our political leaders would do things like this I can't imagine. To me it's Alice through the looking glass.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 PM

13,476 posts, read 7,463,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

When you say 78% what rate plans are you saying goes up 78%?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:42 PM

APS rate hike approved today in a 4 to 1 vote, with dissenting vote being Bob Burns. The 78 percent referred to in previous post would be in the monthly service charge.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:26 PM

13,476 posts, read 7,463,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
APS rate hike approved today in a 4 to 1 vote, with dissenting vote being Bob Burns. The 78 percent referred to in previous post would be in the monthly service charge.
I don't see that in the filings would you mind posting a link to the service charge amount change?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:43 AM

The 73 percent increase was mentioned in a Channel 15 news story.

Last paragraph of this story.....

In a statement AZPIRG says, "A total of 226,000 APS customers will now experience a 73% or greater increase in their mandatory monthly basic service charge (148,000 ratepayers will pay a $15 monthly basic service charge & 78,000 ratepayers will pay a $20 monthly basic service charge (up from $8.67)). This means more money for APS, less money in the pockets of APS ratepayers."

APS customers to see rate hike on bill, new rate starts on August 19 - ABC15 Arizona

Old 08-16-2017, 07:32 AM

I am not talking about the basic service change, I'm talking about the actual usage rates.

Summer off peak rates are currently $0.061/kWh and are going to $0.109/kWh. Winter off peak rates are dong the same, except for a new super off peak time frame of 10:00AM - 3:00PM (aka when no one is using power except the snowbirds) when the power is actually going to be super cheap.

Summer on-peak rates are staying practically the same (0.007% drop) and winter on peak rates are going up 29%.

Info is posted on the A.C.C. website buried in a 497 page document from APS. Still blows my mind that this was not brought up in the meeting. I'm willing to bet not one of the Commissioners has even looked at the new rate structures.

Last edited by HX_Guy; 08-16-2017 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area