Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:01 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
3 days? Wow. I have only had one fraudulent transaction clear my account and the bank put it back immediately when I called.

Regardless, anything that can be done to prevent theft to begin with is s good thing. Credit card skimmers have become a real issue.
The delay in getting us our money back (amongst other things) is the primary reason we're leaving WF and going to Desert Schools. Ive had enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The delay in getting us our money back (amongst other things) is the primary reason we're leaving WF and going to Desert Schools. Ive had enough.
I had WF at the time I had my issue, that is why I was surprised.

Anyway, back to topic.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:46 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No, but I don't use a debit card so it's of no concern to me. Not sure why anyone would for that very reason, among others.
Yep, never use a debit card at the pump or online.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:24 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No, but I don't use a debit card so it's of no concern to me. Not sure why anyone would for that very reason, among others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Great advice . . .

Not exactly certain as to why, but most, if not all of the security experts warn against using a Debit Card to make purchases . . . especially via unmonitored and unsecured machines.

Since learning of the expense as well as the grief and aggravation some of my friends have endured from a "raided" Debit Card, I no longer carry one in my wallet.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Great advice . . .

Not exactly certain as to why, but most, if not all of the security experts warn against using a Debit Card to make purchases . . . especially via unmonitored and unsecured machines.

Since learning of the expense as well as the grief and aggravation some of my friends have endured from a "raided" Debit Card, I no longer carry one in my wallet.
I believe it is because anytime you use debit and use your PIN to make a purchase, that PIN is also stored and makes it easier for the thieves to spend your money. That is why they tell you to cover your PIN when entering it in stores, etc. as well. that PIN gives easier access.

Most, if not all, banks will protect you against fraud when using debit or credit. Debit is easier to steal, but you will still likely be protected in the end the same as credit.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:06 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Speaking of online, one thing to be warned about is that Amazon is now processing debit cards as PINless debit by default. This is where debit cards get processed through the debit networks (STAR, Pulse, NYCE, etc.) without a PIN instead of the Visa or MasterCard networks. This reduces Amazon's interchange fees since it is cheaper to go through the debit networks instead of Visa or MasterCard, however, you lose the fraud protection offered by Visa or MasterCard when your debit card is processed as PINless debit. Amazon does offer customers to opt-out of PINless debit if they wish.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:36 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Yes the gas at Circle K is different from something like gas at QT.

Certain stations have top tier gas and others do not. Top Tier gas has to meet a certain criteria for additives and cleaners in the gasoline that keep engines cleaner.

I would never fill up a performance based car from a place like Circle K or another station that does not make this list. The closest places for me is Quick Trip and Valero. I let the wife use the Safeway and Frys gas rewards for her car.

Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas
I recently learned about these Top Tier detergent gasolines through customer advocate Clark Howard, who showed that the proof was in how much cleaner the higher level additives leave the valves in vehicles. I've been using Shell for quite a while, and mainly because they also partner with Fry's and provide points!

NON top tier retailers use only the minimum EPA-required detergent additives (Circle K is a NON top tier retailer). Using Top Tier retailers doesn't make us uppity -- just a bit wiser!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:13 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,337,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You can add your own additives.
Sure you can but it's cheaper and easier just to find the top tier gas.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:16 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,337,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
It ultimately is their problem, true. But its a major inconvenience when it happens. Have you not had the "pleasure" of someone accessing your account and wiping it clean? I had it happen to me a few years back. Went to get gas, swiped my card, the pump said "see attendant". He said my card was denied. Impossible! I ran over to Wells Fargo (before I had the phone app installed) and to my horror thousands upon thousands of dollars were gone. Called the wife (this was around Christmas time) to see if she had withdrawn it for shopping purposes, and she didn't. We had to wait 3 days to get our money back. Not fun.
Anyone still using a debit card for unsecured locations like gas pumps and online shopping isn't being very smart.

I've had my credit card stolen about 5 times. It's a simple call to the bank to tell them someone has my card. They immediately refund the bogus charge, cancel my card and in a week I have a new card in hand. We only use one credit card for online, so when this happens we still have our other cards to use in the mean time. There's never a reason to risk someone having access to your money like a debit card. We actually don't even activate our debit cards anyone.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:54 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,016,354 times
Is is correct to assume that the Circle K stores with Shell gas are okay? Since Shell is top tier gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area