Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:07 PM

4,630 posts, read 6,463,008 times

Advertisements

Grey Helmeted Snowbirds ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 04:33 PM

383 posts, read 640,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
The most dangerous part of a dust storm is their sudden appearance and reduced visibility, a definite hazard for motorists.

It should be noted markeg that another thread receiving a lot of attention had to do with someone wanting to relocate to the southwest because of metaphorically greener grass. You are obviously caught up in the moment now with the impending storm, which is very understandable.

My point is to please take more things into consideration before making a big move with avoiding natural disasters as your primary motive.
You are certainly correct. We need to take everything into consideration. We have made some awesome friends here and have great neighbors. We also have to take into account that this is only supposed to happen once in decades. Once is enough.
We also really never took into consideration the probability of hurricanes when we moved here from the NYC area in 2014. We were well aware of the weather but shrugged it off when we made the decision.
The comraderie that we have amongst friends and neighbors is great. While we already evacuated, we needed our neighbors to put up one of our hurricane shutters and they did without hesitation. It's difficult to give that up.
Besides the impending storm, I'm not a fan of the humidity, although the winters are gorgeous. The mosquitoes are attracted to me like a magnet. Tampa is the lightening capital of the world.
I do enjoy dry weather, no bugs, no storms, and a place with amenities and culture.
I know I have to check out things for myself, so I'm trying to get a feel for a place I can enjoy through my upcoming retirement years.
I appreciate your responses greatly!

Old 09-09-2017, 05:29 PM
HDL

3,217 posts, read 6,802,635 times
Sending prayers for yourself and all those affected by Irma and possibly Jose after that !! Hopefully you will be able to check out the Phoenix area after the storms and find out whether or not it is a good fit for you and your spouse/family ! Best wishes to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
I live in Tampa and have the good possibility of losing my home in the next few hours because of Irma.
This entire ordeal is way to stressful to ever go through again.
Does Phoenix have any natural disasters? Wind storms, floods, fires? I am so over hurricanes, tropical storms, humidity, mosquitoes etc.
I am looking into a place to live in the southwest where I could enjoy life without worrying that my life is going to be taken or my home destroyed.
Any imput is greatly appreciated. Please send positive thoughts my way. Thank you.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:52 PM

383 posts, read 640,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Sending prayers for yourself and all those affected by Irma and possibly Jose after that !! Hopefully you will be able to check out the Phoenix area after the storms and find out whether or not it is a good fit for you and your spouse/family ! Best wishes to you!
Thank you so very much!!!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,388,303 times
I feel sorry for you OP, I know how devastating this hurricane will bring to you and your family.

Now here what Phoenix very advantageous, yes we have 4 months of brutal heat but you can keep your stuff and your life intact whole year round. Just always bring put a sunscreen and keep indoor and there is nothing to worry about. We don't beaches but there are lakes within driving distance.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:00 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,823,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Are the dust storms life threatening?
Nope. The only thing more life threatening is other people, not natural disasters for the Phoenix area at least. People here are more worried about dying from societal causes versus natural causes.

Dust storms, flash floods (you can avoid by buying a home that isn't in a flash flood area/newer community), and mainly the extreme heat can cause heat related illinesses. Other than that, there's nothing that really happens here except sunshine, rain, thunder, some dust, and heat.

The dust storms/rain/flooding doesn't really happen all too often to my surprise. You might get a few days of heavy downpours during monsoon season (July-Sept), but the rest of the time, it's cloudy and you'd get some sprinkles depending on where you are in the metro area. It's really not bad at all, I think the news just dramatizes it too much. Praying for you and your family OP. Stay safe and good luck.

If you buy a home in safe areas, you'd have a pretty good life here as the COL is affordable and there's really no dangerous natural disasters that ever shows up. Stick to Surprise, Peoria for the west valley and Scottsdale, Chandler, Gilbert for east valley.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,760,222 times
Have you ever heard of "Mesa"?

:-)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Old 09-09-2017, 09:10 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,823,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Have you ever heard of "South Phoenix"?

:-)

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Corrected that for ya.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:30 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The worst we typically get are severe thunderstorms and flash floods. Tornadoes are rare, and we don't get hurricanes except for their remnants. One thing we are known for though are dust storms, or "haboobs".
Yes, and the summer monsoon is when most of these severe storms happen ... although I do recall a few during other times of the year as well. Flooding used to be a problem here during the winter months when we would get a lot of rain, but lately the winters have been drier and we have better flood control. I remember the winter of 1980 when bridges over the Salt River were damaged from the rapid runoff, and a lot of the east Valley was cut off from the rest of the metro area. In January 1993, a flood completely washed out one side of the Mill Avenue bridge in Tempe. The last major flash flood I remember was about three years ago in September when we had over three inches of rain in a few hours' time. We wouldn't be able to handle the kind of rains Houston had with Hurricane Harvey.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 AM

2,450 posts, read 2,620,245 times
OP, you should consider our intense desert heat and possibility of drought. No state in the US would be considered "disaster proof".

Sending good thoughts your way for a positive outcome with your present home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area