Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:54 PM

31 posts, read 33,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I don't think the residents of Maricopa would agree that road infrastructure has kept up with growth. I've talked to many Maricopa residents who absolutely HATE the 347 divided highway into the metro area.

Wouldn't it have made sense to require the home builders to improve 347 PRIOR to building all of those homes? Apparently not in wild-west, no rules Arizona.
The biggest problem with the 347 is the Gila River Reservation. They are in a urinating contest with ADOT due to things like the 202 (GRIC said ADOT should just not build anything at all, as if that was even an option), and apparently the I-10 is part of that. Rumor I've heard over the years is that ADOT promised the GRIC more exits along the 10 when it was originally constructed, and then never did so. So now, ADOT needs GRIC permission to widen the 10, and GRIC is blocking it (note how I-10 has been widened, or is in the process of widening to at least 3 lanes all the way from PHX to TUC with the exception of the GRIC segment).

So my guess would be that the GRIC is basically telling all the "non-Natives" moving to Maricopa to pound sand and deal with it. It's not the GRIC's fault people built and moved down there, so why should they spend a penny upgrading the road to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 04:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,853,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I don't think the residents of Maricopa would agree that road infrastructure has kept up with growth. I've talked to many Maricopa residents who absolutely HATE the 347 divided highway into the metro area.

Wouldn't it have made sense to require the home builders to improve 347 PRIOR to building all of those homes? Apparently not in wild-west, no rules Arizona.
Yeah Maricopa is a disaster. Traffic builds up so bad.

SE Valley is getting so far out now that infrastructure can't keep up. As another poster stated, the GRIC isn't cooperating and they did everything they could to prevent the 202. And with them losing to the 202 and the I-10 expansion to 3 lanes I can guarantee they won't do another I-10 expansion. They aren't as cooperative as the SRIC. We will need a new freeway that runs down to Queen Creek/Florence and then down to the I-10 or what's already being talked about and planned, a commuter rail that goes through that route.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,680,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Yeah Maricopa is a disaster. Traffic builds up so bad.

SE Valley is getting so far out now that infrastructure can't keep up. As another poster stated, the GRIC isn't cooperating and they did everything they could to prevent the 202. And with them losing to the 202 and the I-10 expansion to 3 lanes I can guarantee they won't do another I-10 expansion. They aren't as cooperative as the SRIC. We will need a new freeway that runs down to Queen Creek/Florence and then down to the I-10 or what's already being talked about and planned, a commuter rail that goes through that route.
Pinal County has a freeway planned to run along the Empire Blvd/Hunt Hwy grid from I-10 due east to AZ 79

Old 10-09-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Pinal County has a freeway planned to run along the Empire Blvd/Hunt Hwy grid from I-10 due east to AZ 79
Oh I was unaware of this. It's good they are putting another freeway right there, but it doesn't help North/South traffic into Phoenix or Tucson. Unless of course, it doesn't meet with the 79 until Florence, taking a dive south in San Tan Valley.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:17 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,513,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You must've gotten lucky. I'm always on the 51, and there are times where its so backed up (starting as early as 3:30 PM) that traffic is backed up to the 10/202 exit area by Sky Harbor. It usually clears up around Glendale Ave, and from there up to the 101 it usually flows great unless there is the typical daily accident.
People are always downplaying the traffic but crush hour sucks and it's a major headache if you have to drive in it.

It's the same kind responses like traffic in Los Angeles or Chicago is worse. Of course it's worse in those cities because they're a lot bigger and more crowded.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,757,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
People are always downplaying the traffic but crush hour sucks and it's a major headache if you have to drive in it.

It's the same kind responses like traffic in Los Angeles or Chicago is worse. Of course it's worse in those cities because they're a lot bigger and more crowded.
Phoenix congestion isn’t just light compared to mega cities like Chicago and LA, we have less traffic delays than cities that are much smaller like Las Vegas, Austin, Raleigh and even Tucson. We rank 45th in the US for congestion despite being the 12th largest metro.

When we say traffic isn’t a major issue here it’s spoken in general terms and based on this type of comparison.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic...ALL&country=US

Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,680,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Phoenix congestion isn’t just light compared to mega cities like Chicago and LA, we have less traffic delays than cities that are much smaller like Las Vegas, Austin, Raleigh and even Tucson. We rank 45th in the US for congestion despite being the 12th largest metro.

When we say traffic isn’t a major issue here it’s spoken in general terms and based on this type of comparison.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic...ALL&country=US
The west side and east side are night and day here in terms of Rush hour traffic. As there are many more freeways and wider surface streets with more connections in the east valley, traffic flows smoother.

BUT, I-10 on the west side at rush hour, or any of the surface streets between Lower Buckeye and Indian School are BAD! Try as an example driving up 75th Ave from Buckeye to McDowell at 5pm. Two miles, and it takes 15 mins or more!

Old 10-15-2017, 08:41 AM

383 posts, read 638,272 times
I loved our visit to Phoenix! Traffic flowed pretty smoothly wherever we were.
We did travel through rush hour but it wasn't too bad.
Loved everything about Phoenix. Really enjoyed staying in Chandler and would like
To live there someday.
Can't wait to visit again!

Old 10-15-2017, 08:52 AM

383 posts, read 638,272 times
I would also like to add that I felt safer in Phoenix metro than just about anywhere
In Florida.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The west side and east side are night and day here in terms of Rush hour traffic. As there are many more freeways and wider surface streets with more connections in the east valley, traffic flows smoother.

BUT, I-10 on the west side at rush hour, or any of the surface streets between Lower Buckeye and Indian School are BAD! Try as an example driving up 75th Ave from Buckeye to McDowell at 5pm. Two miles, and it takes 15 mins or more!
Yeah West Valley isn't a joke. Used to take me 45 minutes or so last winter to get into Uptown from where I was. 13 miles. Not even as bad as that part of town either in regards to traffic.

From worst to best freeways (personal rankings) in regards to traffic:
1. I-10
2. I-17
3. 101
4. 60
5. 202
6. 51
7. 303
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area