Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,696,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
You forgot the 156 and 184, both of which run on Sundays. The 108 runs on Sundays as well, and Gilbert has one express route, the 531. The new 140 also serves a small section of Gilbert, and the 112 actually touches the Gilbert border.
Those all don't really count as they border other cities, and don't go into the town.

108 has Sundays now? When I lived in Gilbert, it stopped at Price on weekends, and only ran in Chandler and Gilbert from 6-6 M-F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 AM

7,333 posts, read 12,412,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Those all don't really count as they border other cities, and don't go into the town.

108 has Sundays now? When I lived in Gilbert, it stopped at Price on weekends, and only ran in Chandler and Gilbert from 6-6 M-F
The 156 (Chandler/Williams Field) does in fact go into the town, serving SanTan Village and ending at ASU Poly.

And yes, according to Valley Metro I can confirm the 108 now runs all the way to Superstition Springs on Sundays.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:12 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,487,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Looks like Valley Metro should shift their focus to Chandler, and potentially Gilbert. I know there is the proposed line on Arizona Avenue, but I would also like to see lines on Rural Road and Chandler Boulevard/Williams Field Road. All three of these corridors have been identified in the past as potential high capacity transit corridors.
With Glendale's decision, Chandler is now the only Phoenix suburb with any realistic potential to add light rail. Even then, I'd rate the odds of Chandler going ahead with rail at only 50/50. Discussion of the prospect has already drawn significant opposition:

Critics slam Chandler light rail talk

In Gilbert, the local political climate would not accommodate light rail, and Congressman Andy Biggs, who represents the town in Washington, would never advocate for federal funding. In fact, he'd probably advocate against it.

Even if Chandler doesn't come on board, there's still plenty of room for expansion of light rail within the three currently participating cities of Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa. Together, they have a population of over two million and plenty of room for additional lines.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:40 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
With Glendale's decision, Chandler is now the only Phoenix suburb with any realistic potential to add light rail. Even then, I'd rate the odds of Chandler going ahead with rail at only 50/50. Discussion of the prospect has already drawn significant opposition:

Critics slam Chandler light rail talk

In Gilbert, the local political climate would not accommodate light rail, and Congressman Andy Biggs, who represents the town in Washington, would never advocate for federal funding. In fact, he'd probably advocate against it.

Even if Chandler doesn't come on board, there's still plenty of room for expansion of light rail within the three currently participating cities of Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa. Together, they have a population of over two million and plenty of room for additional lines.
There are no immediate plans for light rail expansion in Chandler but there might be a glimmer of hope for the southwest valley in the distant future.

The Capitol I-10 west expansion is proposed to open to 79th Avenue in 2030 which is nearly on the border of Tolleson.

Based on the exploding growth in the southwest valley, there will likely be more demand for it to expand westward into Tolleson, Avondale, and Goodyear by 2030.

Along with additional bus and light rail service, if the reliever freeways could be finished by then it would put the southwest valley on par with the east valley regarding mass transit improvements.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
There are no immediate plans for light rail expansion in Chandler but there might be a glimmer of hope for the southwest valley in the distant future.

The Capitol I-10 west expansion is proposed to open to 79th Avenue in 2030 which is nearly on the border of Tolleson.

Based on the exploding growth in the southwest valley, there will likely be more demand for it to expand westward into Tolleson, Avondale, and Goodyear by 2030.

Along with additional bus and light rail service, if the reliever freeways could be finished by then it would put the southwest valley on par with the east valley regarding mass transit improvements.
I haven't heard of any plans to extend the Capitol / I-10 west line beyond the currently planned terminus at 79th Avenue. Going farther west would be an interesting idea, though. One of my main concerns with the current plan is that Phoenix is going to pay most of the bill for building and operating a line along I-10 that won't effectively serve the Maryvale neighborhood. The stations will be spaced every two miles and located along the freeway rather than on an arterial street, leaving few residential areas within walking distance of the train. As a result, I suspect most of the passengers will come from the suburbs you mention and drive to the 79th Avenue park-and-ride. If the line were to continue outside Phoenix city limits into Tolleson, Avondale, Goodyear, and maybe even Buckeye, at least those suburbs would being doing more to help pay for a line that will benefit their residents. The biggest question would be if those suburbs would be we filling to fund rail within their borders. They might not have a reason to do so if their residents could already drive into Phoenix and board the train at 79th Avenue. I guess a lot will depend on how congested I-10 is a decade from now.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I haven't heard of any plans to extend the Capitol / I-10 west line beyond the currently planned terminus at 79th Avenue. Going farther west would be an interesting idea, though. One of my main concerns with the current plan is that Phoenix is going to pay most of the bill for building and operating a line along I-10 that won't effectively serve the Maryvale neighborhood. The stations will be spaced every two miles and located along the freeway rather than on an arterial street, leaving few residential areas within walking distance of the train. As a result, I suspect most of the passengers will come from the suburbs you mention and drive to the 79th Avenue park-and-ride. If the line were to continue outside Phoenix city limits into Tolleson, Avondale, Goodyear, and maybe even Buckeye, at least those suburbs would being doing more to help pay for a line that will benefit their residents. The biggest question would be if those suburbs would be we filling to fund rail within their borders. They might not have a reason to do so if their residents could already drive into Phoenix and board the train at 79th Avenue. I guess a lot will depend on how congested I-10 is a decade from now.
I think that within 10-15 years that the Route 29 bus (Thomas Rd) should be replaced by a light rail line in its entirety; it is the most heavily traveled bus line in the whole valley

Old 10-27-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I think that within 10-15 years that the Route 29 bus (Thomas Rd) should be replaced by a light rail line in its entirety; it is the most heavily traveled bus line in the whole valley
Completely agree. Unfortunately, the current plan is to put Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on Thomas and light rail on I-10. The City of Phoenix and Valley Metro have identified the right corridors in need of high-capacity transit, but they've matched them with the wrong modes. Thomas would benefit more from light rail, and I-10 could be outfitted with dedicated lanes for express buses. For some reason, though, planners at both the city and Valley Metro seem hell-bent on building light rail along I-10.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Completely agree. Unfortunately, the current plan is to put Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on Thomas and light rail on I-10. The City of Phoenix and Valley Metro have identified the right corridors in need of high-capacity transit, but they've matched them with the wrong modes. Thomas would benefit more from light rail, and I-10 could be outfitted with dedicated lanes for express buses. For some reason, though, planners at both the city and Valley Metro seem hell-bent on building light rail along I-10.
They're probably taking cues from Los Angeles and Chicago, who have rail going down the median of I-105&I-210 (Los Angeles) and I-290 (Chicago) respectively

Old 10-27-2017, 08:04 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,395,367 times
Quote:
They're probably taking cues from Los Angeles and Chicago, who have rail going down the median of I-105&I-210 (Los Angeles) and I-290 (Chicago) respectively
The light rail segment in the median of I-10, will only be for like a 3-mile section from I-17 to around 47th Avenue, then they plan to place the line north of the west bound lanes of I-10, due to the new 202/I-10 interchange at 59th Avenue.

Denver also has a small segment of their light rail in the median of I-225 and a good chunk on the west side of the southbound lanes of I-25. Doing it this way, does make the the trains move a lot faster, but sometimes it tends to move the lines away from densely populated areas.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:08 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,940,734 times
and, at least in chicago, most of the rail lines that are in the highway median, go through crime ridden, run down areas, and, especially at night and on the weekends, the ridership is very low..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area