Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 3,644 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving from the Charlotte NC area to Phoenix due to a work transfer. We have primarily been living in southeast Virginia for the past 8 years. We are in our early/mid 30's and have a 3 year old. We are a very active family that loves festivals, going to breweries, outdoor music, love to walk through nice town centers and neighborhoods nearby, etc. We're looking for a safe suburb and a good school district for the future. We are looking for an area with lots of kids activities during the week i.e. library time, active stay home mom groups, etc. We're looking to rent an apartment for the first few years and are looking for a 2 bedroom around $1500/mth. I don't know the exact location of my husband's office so just throw out any good suburbs and once we figure out the office location I'll narrow down our area of choice. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Chandler and Gilbert are two suburbs that would fit your needs but you have to consider commute time, rent prices, and housing costs.

Gilbert is probably the best family-friendly suburb in the east valley but commuting to other parts of the MSA can be a big headache during crush hour.

Chandler would be a little closer in and it has some of the best schools.

The west valley has a lot of safe family-friendly suburbs. Some of the ones I recommend are northern Avondale, Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Surprise, and the northern Glendale-Arrowhead area.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:10 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Hello! I made a similar move from Charlotte to Phoenix for a job nearly twenty years ago. There are many nice areas in the greater Phoenix metro. Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Peoria are nice cities you may want to check out. It would be helpful to know where your husband's job will be so responders can give more precise info. Phoenix is an active city with year around outdoor recreation, events, festivals and the like. Summers are really hot and are the least active months, opposite of what you experience back east.

The state ranks pretty low when it comes to per pupil spending and teacher pay. However, there are good schools here and you have to be proactive to get your child in one. Have either of you ever been to Phoenix? If not I'd recommend a trip out here to get a feel for it.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:19 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
You really need to know where your husband will be working. Phoenix is way too big to be on the opposite side of town from his employment. There are good areas in every quadrant and within your budget so that will not be a problem.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,260 times
Scottsdale is always a safe bet. Great schools, everyone is well educated, lots of parks, shopping, biking/walking paths. Litchfield Park is also very nice. It's very family-centric - a lot like Gilbert with newer construction but way closer to where most jobs are. It's also less expensive than Scottsdale. You may even be able to afford to rent a newer townhouse or home there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area