Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 AM

2,622 posts, read 2,349,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
If you could name two cities that are the same size as ALBQ with better job opportunities, what would they be?

I'm not sure but I think one would be Tucson. I was going to say Austin as well but I just noticed it is 2X as large as Albuquerque.

Quote:
Thank you. Where are you from? I agree that Phoenix is best for two income families. I think the majority of single people with modest incomes are challenged no matter where they live unfortunately.

And to think, in past times one income used to support families.

Quote:
Jobs don't pay much in FL but as one can see poor paying jobs are quickly becoming the norm from coast to coast. More than half the population in West Palm Beach makes less than $15/hr. That is going on in Orlando too but I'm not sure exactly how bad it is in Orlando, but I heard it's Orlando's dirty little secret.

Financially, I wasn't prepared to get slammed in Phoenix, but I will never give up trying to make things better.

So to answer your question, I can be happy anywhere I go because deep down I know it's the same no matter what. People aren't going to change just because your zip code has. My move to Phoenix was for a change of scenery and to make more money. I didn't quite bargain on my health problems during one heck of a hot summer. When life throws you a wrench, you are either prepared or stunned. I was stunned but it could have been much worse. I have to learn to be content with the little I do have or I will be a mess forever. I am a happy person, but the desert heat can suck the life out of any happy camper if they aren't careful!

West Palm Beach is expensive. Most other parts of Florida are cheaper. One person told me a lot of people in Orlando are miserable. I don't know if that's true or not or if people there are more miserable than in other parts of Florida.

If your health improves, I say stick it out more before giving up on the area.

The desert heat never bothered me. It could be an oven outside but if there's no humidity, I'm fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 12:10 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,885,750 times
I moved to the Phoenix area back in 2013 and have been there on and off since then.

I had lived in Las Vegas for about 6 months at the time and was not getting anywhere, so I ended up finding a somewhat decent job that I really liked in Phoenix. I rented a room in a very nice house for a great price also that was walking and biking distance to work.

I lived in my own apartment there but ended up back with roommates as it was very isolating to be a single 30-something in metro Phoenix. Most people my age in metro Phoenix are married with several kids.

The heat is very intense in Phoenix for sure. I do feel like it is bad for the health for it to be so warm for so long. The average high in July is 106 but it seems like that is based on 30 year averages. Seems like most days are warmer. I prefer warm weather to cold though.

I wish I did like the cold because some parts of the country have excellent quality of life that I wish I could enjoy but I just don't like snow or cold.

I have always rented from the owner and air conditioning has always been included but I did decide to pay extra to help with the utility bills that were as high as 600 dollars a month for the owner in Gilbert.

The cost of living is very good in Phoenix for people who want to buy a house. Prices per square foot in many areas are extremely low compared to other western metropolitan areas. Property taxes and income taxes are extremely low in Phoenix also.

Amazing that a $200,000 in Laveen, Goodyear or San Tan Valley would be $500,000 in Denver suburbs and $800,000 in the suburbs of San Diego.

Apartment rents are relatively high though in Phoenix. 1 bedroom averages $850 in the city itself and some of suburbs with good job access are $1000+. Then $200 for utilities and $100 for cable, internet and phone and one is talking $1100-$1200 for 1 bedroom apartment.

Expensive to rent in Phoenix but home prices are extremely low compared to other western cities.

Phoenix has an excellent job market. I was unemployed in Phoenix at one time but that was mainly due to my personal situation and not the overall economy of the area.

I don't know how jobs can pay less in one location than another though. I am sure the pay for similar companies is fairly similar. The metropolitan areas that higher average wages than Phoenix likely have a different economic set-up then Phoenix.

I do know that Phoenix is fairly prone to economic swings. So when the country does well, Phoenix tends to do even better growth-wise but when there is a national recession that Phoenix tends to be more impacted.

As far as Albuquerque, I prefer it over my home state to the north. I have been in Albuquerque several times.

It does have very moderate weather that is not extreme while having the four seasons. The winter high averages around 50 degrees and the summer high averages around 90 degrees with lots of sun and lack of humidity for the most part.

I do know Albuquerque was one of the worst to recover from the recession but I have noticed since they have an economy that is very dependent on federal government and state government which is very tied to commodity prices that they tend not really have big economic cycles there.

Can remember articles during the recession of how they weren't as impacted by the recession and lately it has been how the economy is stagnant.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:32 PM

445 posts, read 400,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
16th St and Morten is a good area, not sure why you found it otherwise
That immediate vicinity was nice. No argument there. Go a couple blocks in any direction, and it can get dicey. That was my observation.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:38 PM

445 posts, read 400,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I'm not sure but I think one would be Tucson. I was going to say Austin as well but I just noticed it is 2X as large as Albuquerque.

And to think, in past times one income used to support families.

West Palm Beach is expensive. Most other parts of Florida are cheaper. One person told me a lot of people in Orlando are miserable. I don't know if that's true or not or if people there are more miserable than in other parts of Florida.

If your health improves, I say stick it out more before giving up on the area.

The desert heat never bothered me. It could be an oven outside but if there's no humidity, I'm fine.
My health did improve which I'm very thankful about. Praise God! I have just about full use of my left hand and arm again since arriving in ABQ without the annoying numbness and tingling. I'm fortunate because some people suffer from chronic pain for months if not years and others never see the pain go away from a pinched nerve. One never knows.

The job market for admins looks to be getting pretty bad in Vegas and Phoenix too. Nevermind ABQ. Most want you now for anywhere between $10-$12. Not good at all, and yet, they expect you to have a good education, experience, skills, etc. They will no doubt give you peanuts while they pay themselves handsomely. The world is grossly unbalanced.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:08 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,311,285 times
Quote:
My health did improve which I'm very thankful about. Praise God! I have just about full use of my left hand and arm again since arriving in ABQ without the annoying numbness and tingling. I'm fortunate because some people suffer from chronic pain for months if not years and others never see the pain go away from a pinched nerve. One never knows.

The job market for admins looks to be getting pretty bad in Vegas and Phoenix too. Nevermind ABQ. Most want you now for anywhere between $10-$12. Not good at all, and yet, they expect you to have a good education, experience, skills, etc. They will no doubt give you peanuts while they pay themselves handsomely. The world is grossly unbalanced.
That's right! Despite the fact that business owners are taking all the risk, they should pay you more than what the market will bear just to be a good Joe or Josephine as the gender dictates! How dare they pay you less than you'd like or pay you market rate! You both should be paid the same! This is America!! Or they should at least pay you more just because you are a GREAT PERSON.....

Old 10-10-2017, 07:23 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,507,580 times
Quote:
Thank you. I just hope my move to ABQ doesn't go from promising to bad to worse. I have to believe that this will work out!
New Mexico? Do you know the unemployment rate ranks 49 out of 51. Be careful! Do not jump from the fry pan to the fire.

https://www.abqjournal.com/991671/nm...o-1-again.html

I went through this after my failed relocation. I considered a number of places and they were all bad ideas. I did not read the entire thread. Forgive me if I am missing anything. You need to move to a place where you can find a proper job. Not all areas in "high cost states" have astronomical rent. Rent goes way down in areas where transportation is not the best. Safe but not so convenient.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:53 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,888,007 times
Arizona and Florida are notorious for having jobs that pay low, usually rich people from NY and CA already move to these states with a boatload of money and use the states for their low taxes and to retire. Not shocking you cannot find a job that pays well.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,752,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Arizona and Florida are notorious for having jobs that pay low, usually rich people from NY and CA already move to these states with a boatload of money and use the states for their low taxes and to retire. Not shocking you cannot find a job that pays well.
Uhhh, Arizona pays better than Florida. Florida's minimum wage is $8.10 Arizona's is $10; not a huge difference but it makes a difference for some folks.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,782,411 times
I don't love Phoenix and moved away once after living here 6 years, returned 3 years later after moving around the country and will leave again after another few years but none of the reasons you listed are why.

In fact traffic and cost of living are two reasons I moved here. I mean this objectively but I can't imagine a major city that is lower cost of living than Phoenix. Check out Seattle, New York, Minneapolis, Chicago... all much higher. Traffic is reasonable compared to any of the above listed cities and most major cities I've been to.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:14 AM

12 posts, read 43,458 times
This thread is interesting to me as I'm likely moving to Phoenix area (Surprise) in 8 - 12 months.

If I understand correctly from my research, the pay is actually very good in Phoenix if you have skills. Entry level types not so much. I work in IT (operations) and according to Robert Half, Phoenix is 105% (meaning 5% higher) than the national average for IT pay. I'm coming from San Diego where the IT pay is 120%. From what I understand, the cost of living will be drastically less than 15% difference in pay. A house in Phoenix is 25% of that in San Diego (see the earlier 200k house being equivalent to $800k here in San Diego).

Throw in lower taxes, gas, commodities, etc., and I'm expecting a pretty huge QoL improvement. I've visited AZ enough over my life (born and raised in San Diego as a desert rat) that I think I'll be fine, but I've also never put up with the summer heat more than 2 weeks at a time so we shall see.

One important thing to consider in different cities is that the rent vs owning cost ratio isn't always the same. It is WAY more cost effective to rent in San Diego right now, but looking at the Phoenix market, buying is insanely better than renting. Obviously a lot of people can't afford the down payment to own, which is its own inherent problem across our entire country and another reason I'm leaving San Diego. I could afford to (not comfortably) own a house here if I could come up with the $120,000 down payment for a $600,000 entry level house but I can't. I CAN however, save up the $40,000 down payment with some help from family for a $200,000 4 bed room 2,000 sq ft house in Phoenix.

I love San Diego, but I just can't afford to raise my family here (wife is pregnant with twins due in December, which is why we are looking at Surprise - we aren't going to have time to enjoy any nightlife or entertainment for a good while haha). All things considered, Phoenix still has great weather for the country, and it's a major reason so many people live there.

It sounds like the rents actually aren't that different from East County San Diego (30-45 minutes from the beach) where you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for $1,300 a month but still get good weather. The further west you go the price skyrockets though. But my mortgage, tax, and insurance will only be around $1,100 in Surprise for a $200k house.

Sorry, that's probably more San Diego chat than anyone cared for. I'm just excited for the move and to finally feel like my family is thriving even though I make a decent wage now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area