Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:52 AM

445 posts, read 400,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I remember you. Where did you end up leaving here for? Just curious
I decided on Albuquerque, NM for THREE big reasons!

1. The WEATHER does not get as hot in the summer and the air is COOL, CLEAN and FRESH! This city has been rated as having some of the best weather all year round compared to other places. I know it will get cold in the winter with a touch of snow (visited last Christmas), but nothing like the Northeast winters! I breathe so much better here and the geography is so beautiful. My health has improved here! No severe muscle cramps or aches and pains that I had experienced in Phoenix! Love it!

2. The COST OF LIVING here is much better! The rents are NOT insane like Phoenix!

3. CLOSER TO FAMILY. When you're young (20s, 30s) you can't wait to get away from family and explore the world. Now that I'm older, I appreciate spending time with my family more. My brother and his family live here so I have the support of my family to make the transition easier.

I had serious RESERVATIONS about this CITY with regard to SAFETY thinking it was a very dangerous city as in crime and gangs everywhere. I'm up in the Sandia Crest area and I've experienced nothing but great things so far and I love the Rio Rancho area too. The people are friendly and down to earth. I've visited the library, community center and various shops (many of the modern shops you find in Phoenix, you can find here too) and business offices and I haven't seen any gangs lurking about, etc. People diss Albuquerque for the CRIME, but it goes along with EVERY city in the US. You have to play it safe!

I think of Albuquerque as America's HIDDEN GEM!

As of today, I've already been on two interviews and I have a third one this afternoon. I know the salaries are not great here BUT the COL is reasonably low and the WEATHER is AMAZING!! And it's wonderful to be near family! I think I made a wise decision this time.

I'm looking forward to the future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I don't know where you got the idea you could make do on less unless you live in a roommate situation or a crappy area. .
I got the idea because I was told that the COL was reasonable here a year ago, and better than FL. The problem starts when you see everything that is TACKED ON TO THAT RENT...

And also if you haven't noticed the RENTS are rising big time in Phoenix due to it's POPULARITY just in the past year alone! Landlords are making a killing and are quite happy about it I'm sure!

Phoenix is experiencing quite a BOOM right now! Enjoy it!

Old 10-06-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, this poster moved here from South Florida, though had lived in the NE before Florida
Correct. Florida is nice if you're WEALTHY! If you don't make much, it's tough there too! I had the impression that the COL in Phoenix was much better than Florida. It's the SAME! I was WARNED about Phoenix, but I made the jump anyway. I could have stayed in PHOENIX and continued to STRUGGLE to make ends meet BUT here is the bottom line for me personally: Money struggles are one thing but when you add in health struggles to that mix, it's a whole new ball of wax! My one trip to the ER during the SUMMER cost me over $3,800, BUT thankfully my health insurance covered most of it. I consider myself lucky to still be alive. My muscle cramps in the summer were so bad that I had trouble driving and sitting at work. Now by the grace of God, I'm much better health wise. The last bit of numbness lingering in my left hand is fading away. I think either the MOLD or the HEAT played a factor in my health. I will never know for sure but I've read experiences from people regarding both issues and my condition lined up with what they experienced as well. I was very strong and healthy before all this happened. Life is filled with struggles. I'm sure no matter where I go I will face struggles as we ALL do, but I have learned your environment can cause you more STRUGGLE than it's worth!

Last edited by MissMouse111; 10-06-2017 at 08:19 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
If I leave PHX, I'm moving to ABQ. I think you made a good choice. The weather there is far more ideal than PHX's, and the COL is much better. Good luck with your new home, I know you'll love it. Be sure to visit Santa Fe often!

Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
I got the idea because I was told that the COL was reasonable here a year ago, and better than FL. The problem starts when you see everything that is TACKED ON TO THAT RENT...

And also if you haven't noticed the RENTS are rising big time in Phoenix due to it's POPULARITY just in the past year alone! Landlords are making a killing and are quite happy about it I'm sure!

Phoenix has been booming since just about the time it came to exist, the than a few minor slowdowns during recessionary periods. We’re all glad you found your happy place, although I think you’re still in the honeymoon period in ABQ, hopefully it works out.

Based on your original thread and subsequent follow up comments it sounds like your biggest issues in Phoenix had little to do with the city and more to do with what your expectations are for salary and COL. I don’t see those going away anywhere and Phoenix remains one of the cheapest large cities in the country. You do need to have a means to make a living wage in any place you live and the local economic drivers typically dictate how successful you will be. If you were a nurse for example I think you’d do quite well in Phoenix.

But I digress, glad you found your happy place, I don’t mind NM but personally wouldn’t want to live in that small of a city, even if it has cooler weather. A lot of us who have been in Phoenix much longer than 1 year have adapted to the weather and prefer it to places that receive snow.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:14 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,698,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Phoenix has been booming since just about the time it came to exist, the than a few minor slowdowns during recessionary periods. We’re all glad you found your happy place, although I think you’re still in the honeymoon period in ABQ, hopefully it works out.

Based on your original thread and subsequent follow up comments it sounds like your biggest issues in Phoenix had little to do with the city and more to do with what your expectations are for salary and COL. I don’t see those going away anywhere and Phoenix remains one of the cheapest large cities in the country. You do need to have a means to make a living wage in any place you live and the local economic drivers typically dictate how successful you will be. If you were a nurse for example I think you’d do quite well in Phoenix.

But I digress, glad you found your happy place, I don’t mind NM but personally wouldn’t want to live in that small of a city, even if it has cooler weather. A lot of us who have been in Phoenix much longer than 1 year have adapted to the weather and prefer it to places that receive snow.
Exactly, I grew up in the NE, and would be ecstatic if I never saw another flake of snow the rest of my life

Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If I leave PHX, I'm moving to ABQ. I think you made a good choice. The weather there is far more ideal than PHX's, and the COL is much better. Good luck with your new home, I know you'll love it. Be sure to visit Santa Fe often!
To each their own, I find the only places with weather better than here are in California

Old 10-06-2017, 08:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,345,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post

I am confused. You assumed that all apartments had all utilities included? There are some that do that, but that's not the norm most places. Your own electricity and cable, and sometimes water. All of that is generally stated up front when you sign a lease.

I admit I have not rented much in my lifetime, as I have owned more than rented, but I always assumed all utilities are my responsibility, especially in a place like Phoenix where AC costs are really high in the summer. To cover everyone's summer electric bills, rents would be much higher, I can guarantee it.

Rents are rising everywhere; it's nationwide. It's supply and demand. A lot of millennials are choosing to wait to buy their first home until a bit later in life than previous generations. The more people want to rent, the more they can charge. I rented here for the first 3 years I lived here and didn't find it to be that outrageous, though.

A year is a short amount of time to make the decision to move on, IMO, as it takes a bit to adapt to a new place, especially with extreme weather like we have here. As a previous poster said, most adapt after that first year.

I hope you find someplace you can be happy.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:22 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Quote:
To each their own, I find the only places with weather better than here are in California
ABQ's climate is delicious. Our weather last week? That's their summer weather.

Winters are mild in the day, cold at night, with occasional snow that melts quick. The Sandia Mountains covered in snow is a sight to behold. Fall in ABQ with the changing colors is gorgeous. My only beef with ABQ is the Spring... its too windy for my tastes.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
ABQ's climate is delicious. Our weather last week? That's their summer weather.

Winters are mild in the day, cold at night, with occasional snow that melts quick. The Sandia Mountains covered in snow is a sight to behold. Fall in ABQ with the changing colors is gorgeous. My only beef with ABQ is the Spring... its too windy for my tastes.
Again, each their own. Snow and no palm trees are deal breakers for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area