Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:47 PM

14 posts, read 12,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Stay in NY. I was so glad to not encounter many NYers since moving here from Miami. It's like a breathe of fresh air not to see the annoying obnoxious NYers that complain how things aren't like NY but they don't go back. smh

Phoenix IS NOTHING like NY. Nothing is going to remind you of home. It's way slower and not many fun events are here. It's basically a work, go home, or hang out with friends kind of city.
I currently live in a city of less than 100,000 people, so we're not exactly "fast-paced" people. In fact, we'd prefer a city that's slower than say NYC or Long Island or Miami. And the reason we want to move across the country is to experience something that ISN'T going to remind us of home. So thank you for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Things to keep in mind:

1) Golf is best done here in winter when its cooler out. Problem is every old person from Vancouver to Bangor is here, and the courses are booked and more expensive.

2) Golf in summer is no picnic. Have you tried golfing when its 116 degrees out? No good times are had by any. lolol On the plus side, rates are low and the courses are virtually vacant, especially in the afternoon.

3) Have you even visited here in summer? Phoenicians tire of hearing "we love the weather" from newcomers, only to hear them beotch and moan about it 2 years later. Most end up leaving.

4) You should get along here just fine, as long as you keep your liberal opinions to yourself. AZ is very live and let live, but don't come here and complain about our gun laws, etc. Keep the failed NY liberal policies back home. We don't want AZ to turn into a complete craphole like NY or CA or IL has become, please. Just come here wanting to live and let live, and respect our desert, and everything should be AOK.
I like to think we're tolerant people, in regards to anyone's opinions. I'm more worried about locals not liking us or giving us a chance to fit in BECAUSE we're from the NE. I lived briefly in Maryland and the fact that I was simply from up north made people very aggressive and intolerant towards my family.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Good question.

If you think you can appreciate what is good about the Valley without complaining about what it does not have, then sure.

But if by "pretty liberal mindset" you're going to get bent out of shape because

1. Arizona doesn't pour money down the public school rathole.
2. It tends to have few social programs for those who want to live there without working, and
3. AZ has a thriving gun culture and any person over 21 can carry a concealed weapon without a permit.
In regards to schools - do a lot of kids go to private school vs public school there? If public schools aren't government funded, how are they funded? [And please, I don't mean this in a snooty way, I just honestly don't know]

Old 10-06-2017, 02:06 PM

39,147 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3la View Post
In regards to schools - do a lot of kids go to private school vs public school there? If public schools aren't government funded, how are they funded? [And please, I don't mean this in a snooty way, I just honestly don't know]
95% of Arizona students attend public schools. Public schools are funded just like they are anywhere else - with taxes - just not adequately. Teacher salaries are not competitive, books and supplies are deficient, classrooms are overcrowded, buses are unsafe, and buildings are years behind in maintenance. Other than that, everything is fine.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:38 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,190,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
95% of Arizona students attend public schools. Public schools are funded just like they are anywhere else - with taxes - just not adequately. Teacher salaries are not competitive, books and supplies are deficient, classrooms are overcrowded, buses are unsafe, and buildings are years behind in maintenance. Other than that, everything is fine.
Somewhat true if you look at the State as a whole. There are specific districts that are performing well above standards but those tend to be in wealthy/Upper Middle Class areas. I don't think anyone would argue that there is room for improvement in the way school funds are allocated and handled...many districts attempt to handle their shortfall by passing bonds to fund projects and updating things. Many schools heavily rely on Tax Credit donations. Private schools are an option as are Charter schools (3 of the top 10 High Schools in the country are here in AZ...but they are BASIS Charter schools).

Teacher's salaries are a whole different subject...they are abysmal.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:38 PM

202 posts, read 221,831 times
You really want to move here after reading these replies?

Old 10-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,698,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
You really want to move here after reading these replies?
It's so funny how looking on these boards (for every state and the city boards) how if a person asks about moving to a place, a bunch of locals gang up and say either stay put or consider Texas instead

Old 10-06-2017, 03:01 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,747,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
All that and no mention of the parents?

Old 10-06-2017, 03:21 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3la View Post
I like to think we're tolerant people, in regards to anyone's opinions. I'm more worried about locals not liking us or giving us a chance to fit in BECAUSE we're from the NE. I lived briefly in Maryland and the fact that I was simply from up north made people very aggressive and intolerant towards my family.
Virtually everyone from AZ is from somewhere else. I believe NY sends more people to AZ than any other state except CA, so you'll be amongst tons of ex-Yawkers.

The reason Marylanders probably didn't accept you guys is because they think they're southern or some ridiculous reason.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:27 PM

90 posts, read 114,022 times
For what it's worth, I am in my mid 20's and have lived in Arizona my whole life. I have befriended several people my age who moved here from the east coast for a change of scenery. They all ended up moving back (or somewhere else, IE Seattle) within 5 years. I would definitely recommend staying here for a week if possible, preferably during the summer to scope it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area