Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:33 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,264,756 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the reason WHY there isn't a freeway cutting across where Northern is? It would be cheap and easy to build one from the 303 to the 51, and then have one paralleling the 51 until it reaches Shea, and then having this freeway run along Shea until the 101 in Scottsdale

At the very least you can have the freeway from the 303 to the 51 without too much NIMBY interference. And it would make getting to Westgate much easier.

Anyone know why this hasn't been done? It's absurd not to have anything going east-west for a good 12 mile stretch between the 10 and the 101, especially given the cost of land and the low density of the built up areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Does anyone know the reason WHY there isn't a freeway cutting across where Northern is? It would be cheap and easy to build one from the 303 to the 51, and then have one paralleling the 51 until it reaches Shea, and then having this freeway run along Shea until the 101 in Scottsdale

At the very least you can have the freeway from the 303 to the 51 without too much NIMBY interference. And it would make getting to Westgate much easier.

Anyone know why this hasn't been done? It's absurd not to have anything going east-west for a good 12 mile stretch between the 10 and the 101, especially given the cost of land and the low density of the built up areas.
That is a residential area, so no.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:17 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,831 times
http://apps.mcdot.maricopa.gov/Proje...ct.aspx?ID=834

There is a limited access road called Northern Parkway that exists between Dysart and the 303 that basically runs the alignment that you’ve proposed. It is supposed to be extended all the way to 111th Avenue by the early 2020s. The corridor between 111th and the 101 has faced extensive NIMBY opposition and is not scheduled for any sort of upgrades as of yet.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
http://apps.mcdot.maricopa.gov/Proje...ct.aspx?ID=834

There is a limited access road called Northern Parkway that exists between Dysart and the 303 that basically runs the alignment that you’ve proposed. It is supposed to be extended all the way to 111th Avenue by the early 2020s. The corridor between 111th and the 101 has faced extensive NIMBY opposition and is not scheduled for any sort of upgrades as of yet.
Thx for the post. Seems like a decent compromise to build a limited-access road where you can and let the rest remain as it is. They do need to extend the Parkway east of Grand, however.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That is a residential area, so no.
And what is the value of these residential properties, particularly between Grand and I-17?

Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
And what is the value of these residential properties, particularly between Grand and I-17?
What is the value of those homes? To the people that live in them and don't want to be forced to move, I'd guess pretty high.

Last edited by ElleTea; 10-17-2017 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 02:18 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:

CHEAP to buy all the right of way along the Northern Avenue alignment? You are dreaming. There was at one time long ago (80's) a plan for a cross town freeway or at least limited access road just south of Camelback (Paradise Parkway, I believe). That was going to be VERY costly, even then, and the idea was scrapped for various reasons. The Loop configuration is what was decided on. We are never going to see anything running east west north of I-10.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:40 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,836,138 times
Quote:
Lots of industrial businesses along the southern part of Grand (west of the I-17 and by the state fair grounds) along with Grand Canyon University, Downtown Glendale, Downtown Peoria, I believe Downtown Surprise also runs along Grand Avenue.... I mean Grand in particular would be hard to build up to a normal freeway so to speak at this point. Given that the downtown cores of these suburbs would want to be preserved, they'd either do a detour or run underground.

Grand Avenue is essentially the best road in that sort of rectangle of Phoenix (east of the 101 anyway) that can be an east-west road.

Thunderbird would have made a great express road (ASU is on it now sooooo), but with the mountains being there, you'd have to do Camelback or Indian School for south of Thunderbird. No point in going north of Thunderbird because at that point the 101 isn't too far away.

The Alhambra and Maryvale neighborhoods (the southern part of Grand by the I-17) are low income. Central Glendale is still low income, along with Central Peoria. Grand doesn't really run through a middle class area by and large until Sun City, which is arguably why developing Northern into an expressway has been a problem I believe (Sun City).

Old 10-18-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
CHEAP to buy all the right of way along the Northern Avenue alignment? You are dreaming. There was at one time long ago (80's) a plan for a cross town freeway or at least limited access road just south of Camelback (Paradise Parkway, I believe). That was going to be VERY costly, even then, and the idea was scrapped for various reasons. The Loop configuration is what was decided on. We are never going to see anything running east west north of I-10.
Yes, CHEAP compare to LA, Seattle, Chicago, or almost any big metro in the US.

Are people under the impression that land and property in West-side Phoenix is higher than the median US metro?

Or is the NIMBYISM extremely high in the Valley?

What gives? (besides the cheap gas prices making long commutes more palatable)

Last edited by GSR13; 10-18-2017 at 06:49 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
What is the value of those homes? To the people that live in them and don't want to be forced to move, I'd guess pretty high.

What is the uniqueness of the areas and the homes in that area? Housing and neighborhoods are more uniform in Phoenix than perhaps ANY OTHER METRO in the US.

Is one corner's strip mall and beige stucco subdivision that much more special than the all of the others closeby that are just like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area