Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Well considering I live in Gilbert and have lived in the East Valley for a very long time, I would disagree with you. Having a brewery does not make a city liberal or conservative. Gilbert is one of the most conservative cities in AZ (which is fine by me) and if someone who is liberal would rather be around mostly liberals, Gilbert probably won't be a good fit.
The OP never once said that he wanted to be around mostly liberals, so your point is seemingly misdirected. You can’t deny that Gilbert is becoming much more diverse. Gilbert’s conservative roots stem from its LDS population, so a thriving brewery in the city absolutely says something about its moderation. I have some very liberal friends from SF living there and raising their daughter and I also know a liberal gay couple that recently bought there. They all seem to fit in just fine. Aside from possibly avoiding some of the remaining highly concentrated LDS neighborhoods, I disagree with the recommendation to avoid the city simply based on political leanings. It’s now a melting pot of transplants, just like every other valley city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 08:10 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Well considering I live in Gilbert and have lived in the East Valley for a very long time, I would disagree with you. Having a brewery does not make a city liberal or conservative. Gilbert is one of the most conservative cities in AZ (which is fine by me) and if someone who is liberal would rather be around mostly liberals, Gilbert probably won't be a good fit.
One of the most liberal areas of Phoenix metro is Maryvale, yet I doubt Maryvale has a brewery. (They do have the Brewers in the spring, does that count?)

Outside of Tempe (excluding Tempe because it's a college town), I believe the most liberal suburb is Glendale, though I might need to revisit that information. There are threads about it here on C-D but they are almost 10 years old (2007 and 2008), maybe it's a topic that needs revisiting.

Liberals tend to not like exurb and rural development as much as conservatives, hence the Red Sea vs. blue islands when we look at political maps. Gilbert is developing quickly and may integrate itself as a more major suburb in the future, but in the mean time, liberals I think will still look at the inner ring suburbs first in this city as preferred choices if not Phoenix proper itself. This isn't always true of course, but it's a general trend that holds true.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryans1620 View Post
My suggestion would be the 85032 zip code, staying east of the 51 and not too far north (PV mall area). Paradise Valley schools are great, and lots of options under $300k. It is also a low crime area as long as you stay east of the 51, the other side has a higher crime rate.
85028 would be a better zip code. It's more residential than 85032, and offers some better quality homes which I'm sure are priced right around $300K or possibly less. Only problem is the commute. Shea Blvd. can be congested with a lot of stop & go traffic from Paradise Valley area to 101 & Shea. A lot of the neighborhoods east of Tatum Blvd. would be even better as far as quality, safety, and less of a commute ... however, they would definitely be more expensive.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:46 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,329,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Outside of Tempe (excluding Tempe because it's a college town), I believe the most liberal suburb is Glendale, though I might need to revisit that information. There are threads about it here on C-D but they are almost 10 years old (2007 and 2008), maybe it's a topic that needs revisiting.

Actually, it is mainly South Glendale in the area that borders Maryvale that is liberal. Central Glendale is more moderate, while the Arrowhead area is conservative. I would probably say the most liberal suburb besides Tempe would be Tolleson.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
Nellie your job will be in the center of the Valley - No wonder why your head is spinning so many choices! Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa is too far IMO - I think you can get a home in Fountain Hills, some areas of Scottsdale, and NE Phoenix including Desert Ridge.
The 101 and Shea is NOT in the center of the Valley. Who are you kidding?

More importantly though, this thread is a good reminder of why the Valley NEEDS a east-west freeway between the 10 and the 101. NIMBYs in their cookie-cutter homes can put it where the sun doesn't shine.

Too many jobs in NE Scottsdale that too many people can't get to without selling their soul for cents on the dollar.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Actually, it is mainly South Glendale in the area that borders Maryvale that is liberal. Central Glendale is more moderate, while the Arrowhead area is conservative. I would probably say the most liberal suburb besides Tempe would be Tolleson.
I'm from Glendale I'm familiar. I used to live in Arrowhead and moved to Central Glendale for the majority of my life. Most of Glendale residents live in Central and south Glendale.

Tolleson? That's interesting. Not quite sure I believe that.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:12 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,329,597 times
Quote:
I'm from Glendale I'm familiar. I used to live in Arrowhead and moved to Central Glendale for the majority of my life. Most of Glendale residents live in Central and south Glendale.

Tolleson? That's interesting. Not quite sure I believe that.
Tolleson is heavily Hispanic and borders Maryvale, one of the more liberal parts of Phoenix.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:37 PM

273 posts, read 349,765 times
Quote:
One of the most liberal areas of Phoenix metro is Maryvale, yet I doubt Maryvale has a brewery. (They do have the Brewers in the spring, does that count?)

Liberals tend to not like exurb and rural development as much as conservatives, hence the Red Sea vs. blue islands when we look at political maps. Gilbert is developing quickly and may integrate itself as a more major suburb in the future, but in the mean time, liberals I think will still look at the inner ring suburbs first in this city as preferred choices if not Phoenix proper itself. This isn't always true of course, but it's a general trend that holds true.
Just because Maryvale votes Democrat doesn’t make it liberal LOL. Maryvale is socially conservative but votes Democrat for the government cheese like food stamps and section eight housing. The most liberal areas of metro PHX are Tempe, south Scottsdale and parts of central Phoenix north and east of downtown.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:50 PM

273 posts, read 349,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The OP never once said that he wanted to be around mostly liberals, so your point is seemingly misdirected. You can’t deny that Gilbert is becoming much more diverse. Gilbert’s conservative roots stem from its LDS population, so a thriving brewery in the city absolutely says something about its moderation. I have some very liberal friends from SF living there and raising their daughter and I also know a liberal gay couple that recently bought there. They all seem to fit in just fine. Aside from possibly avoiding some of the remaining highly concentrated LDS neighborhoods, I disagree with the recommendation to avoid the city simply based on political leanings. It’s now a melting pot of transplants, just like every other valley city.
Well there you have it, you know three liberals who have moved to Gilbert over the last couple of years so Gilbert is no longer as conservative as it use to be, totally scientific

Old 11-15-2017, 06:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Well there you have it, you know three liberals who have moved to Gilbert over the last couple of years so Gilbert is no longer as conservative as it use to be, totally scientific
Sure my anecdotal evidence doesn’t prove anything but common sense sure does. It’s attractive to transplants from the Midwest and CA. What does that mean? It’s much more diverse now than it was.

ETA: the people I know that have bought there would have never considered it if it was as conservative/religious as it once was.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 11-15-2017 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area