Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,941,829 times

Advertisements

I dont agree at all that "nearly all" of the valleys events and entertainment are in Tempe,central Phoenix, and scottsdale..
Unless you live in the west valley, and spend every day and night there, you dont really know what does or does not go on every single day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 10:11 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,708,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I dont agree at all that "nearly all" of the valleys events and entertainment are in Tempe,central Phoenix, and scottsdale..
Unless you live in the west valley, and spend every day and night there, you dont really know what does or does not go on every single day...
You don't have to agree that the sky is blue either, but it doesn't make the facts any different. So enlighten us, what is so thrilling about the area you're oddly defending yet don't live within?

Old 11-13-2017, 10:21 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,765,518 times
Quote:
Not all of the events but certainly a much higher quantity than the West Valley take a 10 miles radius from 85001 versus a Surprise zip code and look at restaurants, museums, performing arts venues, art walks, etc... it’s a fairly lopsided tilt to the central and east side. Westgate has certainly helped to some extent but I would struggle being that far from so many the valleys cultural hotspots.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:25 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,998,281 times
One thing I think ALL of us can agree on is the East Valley is definitely more entertaining than the West Valley. No offense to those out West, but that's just how it is.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,919,073 times
Quote:
when you say "west valley" you are insinuating that EVERY AREA west of the dividing line is boring; are you talking about goodyear,buckeye, lichtfield park,surprise, glendale,peoria, deer valley, or ALL of them?
making generalization like "west valley" or east valley" is just silly, since both of those statements involve tons of cities and areas, all with something to offer many people...I just don't get the attitude of "east valley is better than west valley" or vice versa..
to each his own, but saying one area is "better" than another seems just silly, and is nothing more than your opinion..
I actually said "in my opinion"

Old 11-15-2017, 02:57 AM

671 posts, read 857,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Visiting in June, July or August would give you a better sense if Phoenix is for you. The cooler months are beautiful and anyone can love Phoenix in the winter. The summer is what breaks people.

A couple days isn't going to give you time to explore the entire valley. With your income the fringe areas will be more affordable and fit your income. I'd try the west valley as your housing money will go further and we really like the west valley. Try Goodyear, Surprise, Litchfield Park, the newer areas of Glendale and Peoria are nice. Buckeye isn't bad but it is the edge of how far out I'd want to live.
LOL

I had my job interview in July. My husband was in shock. I fell in love with the heat but I am crazy. You are right that most people cannot tolerate it.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:08 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,427,096 times
Banner has many campus's throughout the valley and phoenix proper. I live just a mile west of downtown Tempe and only pay 632$ for rent. Its an older complex and a small unit...but that's all I need when I live in the east valley. I'm literally right in between Tempe, Scottsdale and Phoenix (only a couple miles from the airport too and no, I don't hear airplane's since I don't live in the flight path). I'm home long enough to eat, sleep, shower. I work/socialize the rest of the time. Also, right next door to me is luxury apartments with W/D in unit for under 900$/mo for a nice size 1 bedroom. So I'd recommend Tempe, since its close to a lot of medical facilities and your money will go further until you buy a home.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,919,073 times
Quote:
I guess when you live a boring life, you'll probably be bored regardless of where you live..
I apologize that my opinion has offended the defender of all things west valley. My life is full of fun and excitement by the way, and I don't even have to drive an hour to find it!

Old 11-16-2017, 02:43 PM

675 posts, read 1,420,311 times
Engaging in a debate about the west valley vs the east valley is largely irrelevant. You need to drive to all areas when you visit, so you understand what a vast area the phoenix metro encompasses. But then you need to figure out where you're going to work FIRST, before you get serious about an area to live in.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:10 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,330,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Westgate has certainly helped to some extent but I would struggle being that far from so many the valleys cultural hotspots.
Westgate has turned out to be a huge boondoggle in more ways than one. About the only thing successful about Westgate is the Cards stadium, and even then: how many people in the central or east parts of the Valley want to drive that far out of their way to see a game unless they are diehard NFL fans?

The main problems with Westgate are location & infrastructure, and both go hand in hand. You don't build a major sports/entertainment complex in the middle of nowhere without the existing infrastructure to support it. It's been a costly waste from the start, and it looks basically the same out there as it did 10 years ago ... quite contrary to all the elaborate plans initially slated for the area which went nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area