Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:19 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,217 posts, read 6,800,174 times

Advertisements

"A firm tied to Bill Gates is involved in an $80 million investment in a "smart" city in Arizona, according to property records viewed by the Arizona Republic.

The yet-to-be developed community on the west side of Phoenix would have a freeway running to Reno, Nevada, and would be developed around "solar power and electric distribution systems, autonomous auto testing, broadband, and data centers," according to a press release."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/13/bill...t-arizona.html

Obviously Bill Gates investment in this project will bring a lot of "eyes" and additional investment monies to our area. Do you think that a project of this nature could tip the scales our way and get Jeff Bezos' attention for building his 2nd HQ here in the Phoenix area (https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17044620011)?

There's also the huge resort (Dreamport Villages) planned for Casa Grande (http://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_gra...6ec59e8.html)? I wish that an amusement park would be built in the West Valley area, but I think the DV idea has tremendous potential. Will Bill Gates project help Dreamport Villages also?

It would be a huge boon to the Phoenix area if the Tonopah project were for a SW Silicon Valley with Fortune 500 companies relocating here for more affordable housing for their employees versus the idea of just building 80K houses, schools and parks, and getting call centers and/or low paying service jobs.

I'm curious if this project will be fast tracked and whether Tonopah is really the best place for a Smart City project in Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 05:10 AM

811 posts, read 627,025 times
Nothing "smart" about it if they don't start with a vastly improved highway system between Phoenix and So Cal; it's already a joke.
We were told in the 60's that interstate highways would be "super-heated" by the year 2000. And for 50 years I've been waiting for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HecL2rUTnvA

"It would be a huge boon to the Phoenix area if the Tonopah project were for a SW Silicon Valley with Fortune 500 companies relocating here for more affordable housing for their employees versus the idea of just building 80K houses, schools and parks, and getting call centers and/or low paying service jobs."

Fuggedaboutit.

One word: Weather.

Our climate is not for everyone. It's God's filter to screen out most of the riff-raff.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,311,798 times
Not sure if this will ever come to fruition but I like the investment in AZ. I don't know if I'll still live here by the time any of this is built, but if nothing else it should help the construction industry.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:05 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,192,927 times
Too bad there isn't any fiber out that way...nothing like having a "Smart City" built on land that has no connectivity to the Internet. I am sure that they'll kick in on the build costs to get it there but...looks like the closest Fiber feeds are along the 60 to the North or south of the 10 in Wintersburg.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:17 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,210,223 times
I can imagine the country folks out that way will feel like second class citizens. Or perhaps they'll end up rich when they sell their property if this thing takes off.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:31 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,638,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
I can imagine the country folks out that way will feel like second class citizens. Or perhaps they'll end up rich when they sell their property if this thing takes off.
Ah agree.

Ah ain't never liked them seedy country types no how. All kinda earthy, ya know? If'n there's anybody or anything ah detest more'n country folk, it's their even earthier cuzzins!

Whee-oo-pig-sooey!

Old 11-14-2017, 12:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,357,588 times
I am as pro-growth as they come - so I wish nothing but success for this project. Wish it was down along I 8 (still along the I 11 future corridor where he is investing now) but still good with it.

One little note on the Casa Grande project (Dreamport Villages) - your link didn't work for me. But this is a little bit better one I think anyway - slide show with some details:

http://www.pinalcountyaz.gov/bos/Lis...%20Project.pdf

These developers not only own the land near the initial park(s) area - but all along I 10 up about 4 miles from I 8 - getting zoning approval changes to turn that entire corridor into an entertainment/resort area.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:48 PM

7,843 posts, read 4,595,546 times
I wouldn't bet against Bill Gates anymore than I would bet against Jeff Bezos or Warren Buffet. Far too many folks are under the impression that these guys "lucked" into their wealth. Fact of the matter is they are brilliant businessmen on their own that are also surrounded by scary smart advisors and employees.

I'm excited to see what he cooks up.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:20 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,137,463 times
I've tromped around there a bit, and I gotta say that the coolest thing out there is the nuke plant. Lots of snakes and 'yotes and I don't care what anyone sez.......

I love our weather.

We should've ruined this patch of scrub before we ruined Sedona.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:25 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,398,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I wouldn't bet against Bill Gates anymore than I would bet against Jeff Bezos or Warren Buffet. Far too many folks are under the impression that these guys "lucked" into their wealth. Fact of the matter is they are brilliant businessmen on their own that are also surrounded by scary smart advisors and employees.

I'm excited to see what he cooks up.
There's probably a ton of rare earth metals, that nobody knew about, located there that are probably worth $50-100 Billion and he figured he will buy the land for a mere $80 million!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area