Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:37 AM

656 posts, read 818,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You do get predictably bad food at chains, so if consistency is important you’ll rarely be let down. I’ll take Pomo over Pizza Hut, Tomasos easily over Olive Garden or Carrabas, Knock Kneed beats the pants of Red Lobster, and Taco Bell in Phoenix? My God why does that even exist here?

People eat at Taco Bell because they have $4 max to spend on lunch, 30 minutes to eat it, then back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,638,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
So according to Food & Wine Magazine, Phoenix is the fast food capital of the America.

This City Is the Fast Food Capital of America Right Now | Food & Wine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
After all my years on the forum I still continue to be amazed at how few forum members frequent fast food or chain restaurants. This is a group of gourmet foodies for sure! We must not be very representative of the city though as there are chains and drive throughs packed to the doors every night in every other block in this city.

As for me, yeah, I eat in the chains. My family and friends all use the drive throughs. I prefer the chains over the mom/pop private places. The decor is better, the service and food predictable, and the prices can't be beat. There is plenty of parking right outside the door. I am thrilled to live in the chain and fast food capital of the universe. The convenience of having a Jack's, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Chick-filet (sp?), or even an El Pollo Loco or Portillos, Olive Garden, Carrabas, Red Lobster, Oreganos ad infinitum every 500 feet is one of the few redeeming features of living here. Not only that, but these eateries offer employment to thousands of high school students and young people. It is one of the few places they can still gain work experience and make a little pocket money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The article was poor (as the other content from the source is) but Phoenix does have the best fast food options of any place I've lived. Lots of regional options. In many places fast food is McDonald's or Burger King or Taco Bell but we also have In-N-Out, Whataburger, Sonic, Raising Canes even Portillo's. If only we had a White Castle.
What a distinction. Who woulda thunk it?

That doesn't mean I'm not okay with it, because I have this love for Del Taco & Taco Bell food. I also love Chick-fil-A!

Still, the fast food foodie thing probably isn't the best reason to move to Phoenix, is it? We have those who prefer other more meaningful and healthier foods like Detroit, Java & others. It's cool. I get it.

The good news? My groupies and I munch from all ends of the food spectrum... and I'm still a wonderfully carved, non-obese, super handsome, Arizona guy.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:47 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,785,236 times
Definitely NOT a "Claim To Fame" by any means.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:05 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,490,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
After all my years on the forum I still continue to be amazed at how few forum members frequent fast food or chain restaurants. This is a group of gourmet foodies for sure! We must not be very representative of the city though as there are chains and drive throughs packed to the doors every night in every other block in this city.

As for me, yeah, I eat in the chains. My family and friends all use the drive throughs. I prefer the chains over the mom/pop private places. The decor is better, the service and food predictable, and the prices can't be beat. There is plenty of parking right outside the door. I am thrilled to live in the chain and fast food capital of the universe. The convenience of having a Jack's, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Chick-filet (sp?), or even an El Pollo Loco or Portillos, Olive Garden, Carrabas, Red Lobster, Oreganos ad infinitum every 500 feet is one of the few redeeming features of living here. Not only that, but these eateries offer employment to thousands of high school students and young people. It is one of the few places they can still gain work experience and make a little pocket money.
I suspect that many people eat at these places but don't like to admit it in an online forum. On the other hand, I've seen some of the opposite: noted chefs at prestigious restaurants talking without shame about how they love to hit the Taco Bell drive-thru when their shifts end late at night.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:12 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I suspect that many people eat at these places but don't like to admit it in an online forum. On the other hand, I've seen some of the opposite: noted chefs at prestigious restaurants talking without shame about how they love to hit the Taco Bell drive-thru when their shifts end late at night.
Both Anthony Bourdain and Gordon Ramsey are publicly admitted In-N-Out Burger lovers 👍

Old 11-16-2017, 03:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,709,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Fast, late-night grub like that is one thing, but show me a chef that chooses to sit down at Olive Garden, Carraba's or Applebee's.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:18 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,311,798 times
I'm not gonna lie, I run my business out of my house, so if I want to run out and get a quick bite I frequent Chick Fil A, Wendy's, In-N-Out, Habit, Jersey Mikes or Five Guys once in awhile. Typically not for dinner though. Those are better fast food places than McDonalds, Subway or Jack in the Box which I never go to (once in a great while a breakfast from McDonalds or happy meals for the kids). I'll second the request for Tommy's and add Wahoo's to my wish list.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:20 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,348,310 times
As someone who has dietary restrictions, I LOVE chains. I can look a the menu ahead of time and go out to eat with confidence because I know the ingredients. Chains very rarely divert from the corporate menu so I can trust that what i look up online is what I am going to get.

And I love Taco Bell for the same reason. They very much cater to my diet. Is it gourmet? No, but it can be very good and I love how many sauce choices there are.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:59 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,490,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Fast, late-night grub like that is one thing, but show me a chef that chooses to sit down at Olive Garden, Carraba's or Applebee's.
You're right about that. The full service chains get no love from the foodie set.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:07 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I run my business out of my house, so if I want to run out and get a quick bite I frequent Chick Fil A, Wendy's, In-N-Out, Habit, Jersey Mikes or Five Guys once in awhile. Typically not for dinner though. Those are better fast food places than McDonalds, Subway or Jack in the Box which I never go to (once in a great while a breakfast from McDonalds or happy meals for the kids). I'll second the request for Tommy's and add Wahoo's to my wish list.
Repped, I wonder if you and I are the only posters in this thread even aware of the awesomeness that is Original Tommy's? 😊
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area