Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times

Advertisements

So according to Food & Wine Magazine, Phoenix is the fast food capital of the America.

This City Is the Fast Food Capital of America Right Now | Food & Wine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
So according to Food & Wine Magazine, Phoenix is the fast food capital of the America.

This City Is the Fast Food Capital of America Right Now | Food & Wine
I just wish we had an Original Tommy's

Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Gross. I know someone who eats McD's everyday. Not sure how he's still alive.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:23 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
I’m just glad it’s easier than ever to avoid chains in Phoenix, it’s rare that I find any need to not eat a locally owned restaurant.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
How is being the nation's fast food capital something to be happy about?

It's on the same level as being the nation's obese capital or the nation's heart failure capital.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:29 AM

2,787 posts, read 7,448,732 times
The article makes bold claims that should be supported by research and data -- but they're not. There isn't a single source quoted for claims like "fast food capital" and the statement that DFW "comes very close to a tie." If someone actually tallied the representation of fast food chains and Phoenix came out on top, so be it. We could lament or celebrate that distinction, depending on individual preference. Without any supporting data, however, this just seems like yet another repetition of the tired, unsubstantiated cliche that Phoenix is overrun by chains. The article seems to acknowledge the actual circumstances several paragraphs in with this wording: "Phoenix isn't actually all that unique—this flooding of the fast-food zone is a story that's being repeated over and over again, all across the quickly-growing Sunbelt..." And as noted above, however, it's perfectly possible to eat at a wide variety of non-chains in Phoenix, and our local restaurants continue to garner national recognition.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:33 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
After all my years on the forum I still continue to be amazed at how few forum members frequent fast food or chain restaurants. This is a group of gourmet foodies for sure! We must not be very representative of the city though as there are chains and drive throughs packed to the doors every night in every other block in this city.

As for me, yeah, I eat in the chains. My family and friends all use the drive throughs. I prefer the chains over the mom/pop private places. The decor is better, the service and food predictable, and the prices can't be beat. There is plenty of parking right outside the door. I am thrilled to live in the chain and fast food capital of the universe. The convenience of having a Jack's, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Chick-filet (sp?), or even an El Pollo Loco or Portillos, Olive Garden, Carrabas, Red Lobster, Oreganos ad infinitum every 500 feet is one of the few redeeming features of living here. Not only that, but these eateries offer employment to thousands of high school students and young people. It is one of the few places they can still gain work experience and make a little pocket money.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:48 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
The article was poor (as the other content from the source is) but Phoenix does have the best fast food options of any place I've lived. Lots of regional options. In many places fast food is McDonald's or Burger King or Taco Bell but we also have In-N-Out, Whataburger, Sonic, Raising Canes even Portillo's. If only we had a White Castle.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
After all my years on the forum I still continue to be amazed at how few forum members frequent fast food or chain restaurants. This is a group of gourmet foodies for sure! We must not be very representative of the city though as there are chains and drive throughs packed to the doors every night in every other block in this city.

As for me, yeah, I eat in the chains. My family and friends all use the drive throughs. I prefer the chains over the mom/pop private places. The decor is better, the service and food predictable, and the prices can't be beat. There is plenty of parking right outside the door. I am thrilled to live in the chain and fast food capital of the universe. The convenience of having a Jack's, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Chick-filet (sp?), or even an El Pollo Loco or Portillos, Olive Garden, Carrabas, Red Lobster, Oreganos ad infinitum every 500 feet is one of the few redeeming features of living here. Not only that, but these eateries offer employment to thousands of high school students and young people. It is one of the few places they can still gain work experience and make a little pocket money.
I don't think your eating habits are the norm anymore. Look at the success of local restaurant groups such as Fox and Upward. The chains are struggling. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen a new Olive Garden open in ages. I haven't stepped foot in one of those places in years, except for Chipotle and the occasional Jimmy John's. If one of my friends suggested meeting for dinner at Carrabas or Outback,etc., it would be as if he suggested that we eat cats. It's just not even something many consider.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

You do get predictably bad food at chains, so if consistency is important you’ll rarely be let down. I’ll take Pomo over Pizza Hut, Tomasos easily over Olive Garden or Carrabas, Knock Kneed beats the pants of Red Lobster, and Taco Bell in Phoenix? My God why does that even exist here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area