Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR87 View Post
He'll be working in the town of Paradise. As far as why I'd choose Peoria over Chandler-that's why I'm here...because I DON'T know the area.

Also, I didn't say we were avoiding Chandler. I said that we were told to avoid east Chandler...as well as east Mesa.
Don't avoid either. But neither make a lot of sense given your husbands commute. This city is a lot different than you're used to (very suburban). You could find what you want very close to where he works. It if were me, I'd start there and work my way out.

What do you really want? Do you want sterile and clean or do you want stuff to do?

If the views matter I'd stay north of where he works. If you want sterile, you can find that in pockets anywhere. If you want stuff to do (bars nightlife) I'd try to get close to Fashion Square/Old Town or Tempe. If you like suburbia, I'd look toward Chandler or toward northern Glendale. Another good option is Central Eastern Phoenix (if you don't have kids).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 10:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedelicbeats View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Paradise is an actual town in Arizona, far to the east and over an hour past Tuscon. Nobody lives there. Are you barking up the wrong tree?

Anthem, Carefree, and Desert Ridge is within reasonable distance to Paradise Valley.
Wrong. Paradise Valley is an affluent town in the Phoenix metro.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
You're right about that.

And I haven't been through Tempe. For the east valley, which is your preferred town if you had to choose (between Gilbert, Tempe, and Chandler) and why?

No need to pick any of those. Too much driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
South Scottsdale for sure. It won’t be the fanciest place but you should be able to find a decent apartment within your price range in a great area. It will be an easy commute, you’ll have lots to do nearby and it’s a fairly central location for house hunting/exploring in various places throughout the valley.

This is a very good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I live in Goodyear and really like it but you DON'T want to live in Goodyear if you're working in Paradise Valley. That would be a commute that would kill anyone.

Agreed.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Paradise is an actual town in Arizona, far to the east and over an hour past Tuscon. Nobody lives there. Are you barking up the wrong tree?

Anthem, Carefree, and Desert Ridge is within reasonable distance to Paradise Valley.

The OP is referring to the town of Paradise Valley, as opposed to the area of Phoenix known as such.

I think south Scottsdale is a good suggestion, but I would not leave out the area between 36th St and Tatum Boulevard, from Shea Boulevard north. You could go a little further west along Shea, too. In Phoenix (there is nothing wrong with living IN most parts of Phoenix, and that area is a very short commute. And yes, mountain views.

You may have to adjust your budget a bit in some areas, but look around and see what you see.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:49 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,061,212 times
Quote:
You're right about that.

And I haven't been through Tempe. For the east valley, which is your preferred town if you had to choose (between Gilbert, Tempe, and Chandler) and why?
All three are mostly clean suburban areas. Tempe is a better location, being close to Phoenix proper. Plus it has Tempe Town Lake. Of the three it would be my choice, but it will tend to be more expensive.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:54 AM

194 posts, read 292,029 times
I can give you some positive feedback on the west valley. I lived in Goodyear for 2 years, now Litchfield Park for about 18 months. I personally love the west valley. It is definitely not as busy as the east valley. But from here your commute to Paradise Valley is going to be at least an hour during rush hour. That will get old fast. If you want to keep your commute to 45 mins or so take a look at North Glendale or Deer Valley area. We considered moving there as well. We work from home so no commute, which is why we settled on the west valley. Surprise is a nice bedroom community but you kind of feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. Probably not the best choice for working in Paradise Valley. North Phoenix is nice also, if you can find something in your budget.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:38 PM

96 posts, read 93,078 times
Quote:

Yeah, he'll be working in Paradise Valley. I haven't seen many apartments in Carefree, Cave Creek, etc, but some have suggested it here and I've read on the internet that they are good towns...perhaps we will look there when we are ready to buy a house (if we can afford a home there)...

Old 11-18-2017, 01:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,509 times
What about Tent City??

Old 11-18-2017, 01:49 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

I would not leave out the area between 36th St and Tatum Boulevard, from Shea Boulevard north. You could go a little further west along Shea, too. In Phoenix (there is nothing wrong with living IN most parts of Phoenix, and that area is a very short commute. And yes, mountain views.
I was also going to suggest that area.

There are many large apartment complexes around Tatum and Cactus.

As well as going west on Shea, Greenway, and Bell.

There are brand new apartments around the Bell Rd/16th St area that need filling.

I think one bedroom apartments go for around $1000 give or take.

Frankly, I'd suggest being as close to the town of Paradise Valley with the most reasonable rent. Otherwise the commute will be horrible wherever you live.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:12 PM

96 posts, read 93,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Don't avoid either. But neither make a lot of sense given your husbands commute. This city is a lot different than you're used to (very suburban). You could find what you want very close to where he works. It if were me, I'd start there and work my way out.

What do you really want? Do you want sterile and clean or do you want stuff to do?

If the views matter I'd stay north of where he works. If you want sterile, you can find that in pockets anywhere. If you want stuff to do (bars nightlife) I'd try to get close to Fashion Square/Old Town or Tempe. If you like suburbia, I'd look toward Chandler or toward northern Glendale. Another good option is Central Eastern Phoenix (if you don't have kids).

I want sterile and clean and quiet (but within 20-25 min to entertainment). Not sure if I'm being unrealistic, but that's what I'd want in an ideal world. And I just like to see mountains in the distance....even if they're miles away.

And we have no kids.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:33 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
Don't be too quick to rule out Mesa. Yes there are some tough areas, but it is the third largest city in AZ and has some nice communities I think would fit your price range. Check out the northeast part of the city. It is about a 26 minute drive to PV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area