Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 04:20 PM

96 posts, read 93,245 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My husband just got a job in Paradise Valley, AZ. We aren't millionaires so we won't be living there.
We are childless (do not plan to have any), early 30's, and he is in law enforcement and I am in health care.

I understand this is subjective, but we are looking for a town in Phoenix that is low crime, clean (not a ton of run down developments, buildings, etc), modern (newly built stores, etc), and scenic with mountain views. He is willing to travel 45-60 min from Paradise Valley. I don't have a preference.

We have been out there twice and from what we were told, stay away from southern metro Phoenix (that's okay because we don't want to live in the city), east Mesa, and east Chandler.

Any suggestions based off of my list? Thank you!

Also, we do like the west valley because it doesn't seem as busy, but if there is a town on the east side that meets our needs, I'm cool with that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 07:34 PM

576 posts, read 833,781 times
You didn't mention a budget, but North Phoenix, North Scottsdale, Cave Creek, and Carefree could all be good possibilities that would meet your requirements and not have a horrible commute.

Has your husband been in a big city commute before? It's not fun. West valley has several good options, but I sincerely believe he would quickly tire of the brutal commute.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:57 AM

Thank you for the response back. I definitely should have mentioned budget! We want to buy a house within two years of living there, so we would like to keep our base rent (including tax) under $1000-$1100.

We currently reside in PA and he works in Baltimore City so he is used to a commute (takes him about 45 min or so without traffic).

We are entertaining the thought of Peoria, but we want to have more options. From what I've read, Peoria isn't bad? I do hear great things, however, about the above towns you've mentioned. We've also looked at Goodyear, but it looks like it would be about an hour commute if I'm not mistaken which is cutting it close to his limit. We also like Fountain Hills, but there isn't many apartments to choose from. Scottsdale looks like it would be too expensive to get an apartment that meets our expectations (modern, newer, etc). I've heard Glendale is sketchy, however, not around the Arrowhead Ranch area which is where another apartment we found interesting is located.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:02 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,973,714 times
Whoever you've been talking to has no idea what they're talking about and in your price range you aren't exactly high rollers.

Also is the job in the Town of Paradise Valley, or the neighborhood in Northern Phoenix?

In either event, why you'd avoid Chandler for Peoria escapes me.

I'd look at Northern Phoenix proper, Carefree, and Cave Creek.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,927,532 times
Peoria is nice, but a brutal commute to Paradise Valley...

Old 11-17-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Whoever you've been talking to has no idea what they're talking about and in your price range you aren't exactly high rollers.

Also is the job in the Town of Paradise Valley, or the neighborhood in Northern Phoenix?

In either event, why you'd avoid Chandler for Peoria escapes me.

I'd look at Northern Phoenix proper, Carefree, and Cave Creek.
He'll be working in the town of Paradise. As far as why I'd choose Peoria over Chandler-that's why I'm here...because I DON'T know the area.

Also, I didn't say we were avoiding Chandler. I said that we were told to avoid east Chandler...as well as east Mesa.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Peoria is nice, but a brutal commute to Paradise Valley...
Okay, thank you. We got 38-43 minutes when mapquesting it. Would that be incorrect?

Old 11-17-2017, 10:42 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,927,532 times
that is probably a non rush hour calculation...
I cant imagine making that trip in less than an hour during peak times; plus, peoria is a large town, so the north end of peoria is probably alot closer than the middle or south part of town..Also, keep in mind with mountains all around the area, there arent alot of "through" roads going from there to paradise valley, and no real highway that you can take

https://www.maptechnica.com/city-map/Peoria/AZ/0454050

Old 11-17-2017, 10:42 AM

I will check out Carefree, Cave Creek, and northern Phoenix like you all have suggested.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
that is probably a non rush hour calculation...
I cant imagine making that trip in less than an hour during peak times; plus, peoria is a large town, so the north end of peoria is probably alot closer than the middle or south part of town..Also, keep in mind with mountains all around the area, there arent alot of "through" roads going from there to paradise valley, and no real highway that you can take

https://www.maptechnica.com/city-map/Peoria/AZ/0454050

Okay, thank you. That makes sense. I need to check out northern Phoenix yet like you both have suggested, but I did look at Carefree and Cave Creek on Zillow (because we are planning on buying within a year or two). We would like to stay around 350-400k for our first home and Carefree and Cave Creek seem like that's going to be tough to do. Plus, I didn't see many homes on the market there.

The other poster doesn't seem fond of Peoria. Other than the commute, what are your thoughts on Peoria, Glendale, and Goodyear? I liked Suprise when we toured it, but that seems like it's the farthest so I didn't even bother entertaining that thought. Also, we aren't opposed to the east valley. I was just attracted to the west valley because it seems less busy. Again, I don't live there and this is just my interpretation from research/our trips out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area