Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 08:00 AM

48 posts, read 41,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
There are reasons why home prices are generally cheaper in the Detroit MSA and why wages are generally higher here.
Such as?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 09:05 AM

3,716 posts, read 2,454,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglefan View Post
Such as?
It's fairly obvious, mate.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:25 AM

Fill me in. Maybe demand is higher for houses in Phoenix than Detroit or taxes as another poster said, so wages go up as a result? Just guesses by me but I don't want to assume.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:13 AM

9,185 posts, read 16,724,542 times
I actually don't find homes to be cheaper in Metro Detroit. My old house in Oakland County recently sold for $194/sq ft, which is somewhere between what you'd pay in Chanbert and Scottsdale. Now, there are many in the $200+/sq ft in my old area. Now if you're talking about say Redford or Warren, and compare them to Glendale or Avondale, I think you'll find parity on the lower end as well. Property taxes are significantly less here though.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I actually don't find homes to be cheaper in Metro Detroit. My old house in Oakland County recently sold for $194/sq ft, which is somewhere between what you'd pay in Chanbert and Scottsdale. Now, there are many in the $200+/sq ft in my old area. Now if you're talking about say Redford or Warren, and compare them to Glendale or Avondale, I think you'll find parity on the lower end as well. Property taxes are significantly less here though.
I find that Warren, Madison Heights, Saint Claire Shores, Hazel Park, and more all seem to be cheaper (some areas are more or less desirable than others) for at least the same quality of the house itself. But most I don't find to be really rough areas like areas of Detroit, Highland Park, etc.

I'm curious, where did you used to live? I live in Ferndale. Any places you'd suggest that area like that or Royal Oak?

Old 12-09-2017, 11:19 AM

9,185 posts, read 16,724,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglefan View Post
I find that Warren, Madison Heights, Saint Claire Shores, Hazel Park, and more all seem to be cheaper (some areas are more or less desirable than others) for at least the same quality of the house itself. But most I don't find to be really rough areas like areas of Detroit, Highland Park, etc.

I'm curious, where did you used to live? I live in Ferndale. Any places you'd suggest that area like that or Royal Oak?
I guess those blue collar, dumpy areas in MI are less than our lower-middle class areas here, but even on the low end, AZ's are nicer. I think the desirable areas here are very close if not less than those in MI when looking at Royal Oak, the Bloomfields, Birmingham, etc. and comparing them to Chanbert and Scottsdale.

My house was in Royal Oak and would go for well over $200/sq ft now. Mill Ave in Tempe actually looks like downtown Royal Oak with tree-lined streets with bars, shops and restaurants. Many are turned off by the college crowd though,although it's becoming more diverse age-wise. Gilbert has a fabricated downtown but it's smaller and mostly just restaurants. Old Town Scottsdale has probably the largest downtown area in the valley. Roosevelt Row in Phoenix is getting there but still not all that dense nor walkable. Unlike what you have in RO, Berkley, Ferndale, Birmingham, etc., the concept of each city having it's own downtown isn't really a thing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area