Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteve14 View Post
i flipped off a photo radar doing under the limit, and actually ended up stopping just ahead of him, nothing wrong with my driving. he took a picture..but he can't do anything about that cn he?
I don't even understand what actually happened, from your description. I know it's your first post, but it helps to be really clear about what you are asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 20,232 times
Default El MIrage Speed Camera dn red light camera

El Mirage Red light and speed camera
If you didn't know El Mirage AZ had a contractor install a red light camera at Grand Ave and Primrose Lane. It is a 6 lane divided highway and the speed limit it 45mph which is a joke for a newly developed highway.

The equipement was installed in Aug 2011 just a few months ago and was well published in the local newspapers and TV.

Well yesterday I received a letter from El Mirage/ Contract company that I was driving " Speed geater than reasonable and prudent" 52 in a 45. They have some type of sensor in the pavement at the intersection that can do speed as well as red light runners. I didn't run a red light.

The fine is $232 which is outragious! The picture taken is me but I think I may fight the ticket.

I'm thinking about requesting all the equipment documents, maintenance documents, a list of downtimes and how they can prove the accuracy of the equipment. When was it last calibrated on the day I drove by.

Has anyone been to court in El Mirage and would I have any chance in getting my ticket dismissed on the defense of maintenance, non-calibration, etc?

Has this happened to you?
Did you pay the fine?
Did you go to school for $193
Or did you fight it? Did you win or lose?

Here is one of the pictures they sent me. I'm in the right hand lane and I think the other 2 got tickets for both speeding and red light running.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!!!!  Need info re: fighting a Photo Radar Speeding Ticket-elmirage.jpg  

Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM

160 posts, read 375,183 times
Just throw it away and forget about it. If you try and fight it you're admitting fault.

The picture shows you're in the middle of the intersection when it turned yellow, legally you're in the clear unless they have those red lines around the intersection.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 20,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJ0SH View Post
Just throw it away and forget about it. If you try and fight it you're admitting fault.

The picture shows you're in the middle of the intersection when it turned yellow, legally you're in the clear unless they have those red lines around the intersection.

The ticket is a speeding ticket not a red light ticket.
This intersection has both types.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,175,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggyaz View Post
Since you were speeding, why not pay the fine you earned?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 AM

160 posts, read 375,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggyaz View Post
Sorry I misread that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Since you were speeding, why not pay the fine you earned?
52 in a 45 isn't excessive enough to deserve a $250 fine. You wouldn't get pulled over for doing 52 in a 45, so why should some machine decide you're speeding?

Arizona has prima facie speed limits, it's up to the officer to decide if your speed is reasonable and prudent.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,296,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post

So I'm all for as much electronic monitoring as they want to bring on. I sometimes think I'd be good with cameras every intersection and every mile, that spit out tickets for every clear infraction. What I don't really understand is with the size of these fines, why can't they hire more cops to investigate the crimes that need it?
The fines are so high because most people just throw the photo radar tickets in the trash and don't pay. The suckers who pay them have to cover everyone else.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry I misread that.

52 in a 45 isn't excessive enough to deserve a $250 fine. You wouldn't get pulled over for doing 52 in a 45, so why should some machine decide you're speeding?

Arizona has prima facie speed limits, it's up to the officer to decide if your speed is reasonable and prudent.
One thing I don't understand is I thought you have to be going 11 mph over to get a photo radar ticket. They must have changed it.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I second that.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times
Quote:
If it's a POSTED speed limit, that is the limit. Arizona Revised Statutes Section 28-703. Reasonable and prudent doesn't always control.

If you "throw it away and forget about it", be prepared to avoid a process server for the next few months. And, hope that El Mirage doesn't allow alternative service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area