Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,252,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well - let me tell you a little "story" -

Seems there was this guy who, like you, got two photo radar tickets right in a row - guess he liked having his picture taken

Now, I don't know how fast you were going but, this guy had the "pedal to the metal" as the saying goes -

Scottsdale tracked him down, through several states, and arrested him - at his office -

Food for thought
Also improbable. You would need a misdemeanor and in some states a felony for such an arrest. Extradition is a big expensive deal. First problem is that the guy can fight extradition and Scottsdale would have to mount a least a basic hearing sort of charge. Most states would laugh ole Scottsdale out of town. I would think you are now into crimiinal rules and you would likely have testimony by a police officer that witnessed the event or such.

Highly improbable. Got a source? Like to read this one. Does not google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,306,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Also improbable. You would need a misdemeanor and in some states a felony for such an arrest. Extradition is a big expensive deal. First problem is that the guy can fight extradition and Scottsdale would have to mount a least a basic hearing sort of charge. Most states would laugh ole Scottsdale out of town. I would think you are now into crimiinal rules and you would likely have testimony by a police officer that witnessed the event or such.

Highly improbable. Got a source? Like to read this one. Does not google.
Here is one case. And, for clarification - I did not say he was extraditied. They "followed" him - and found him in AZ

Man arrested in 147 mph Loop 101 violation | EastValleyTribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/66898 - broken link)

Old 03-25-2008, 10:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,252,146 times
They should have given him a medal for bravery and arrested him for stupidity.. 147 mph in a Hyundai? I am mildly skeptical that it can go that fast. I have driven at high rates of speed in Europe...130mph with a heavy Mercedes and that is all there was. A top of the line Ford topped out at about 118 though it cruised very well at 110. But a rice wagon?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 PM

13 posts, read 53,828 times
Default RED LIGHT TICKET ??? Teacher + 3

Wow!!!! wake up America , here we go again.is it a law violation or a money maker? People need to get educated. Stand up for what our people over seas are fighting for. our Constitution is being stollen . HERE SIMPLY SEND THE COURT,AND THE ISSUEING AGENT a DEMAND for a VERIFIED COMPLAINT, THATS ALL See they can't give you that ,because the verified complaint has to come from the injured person > There is none in this case or for that matter any traffic ticket (You may ask how can this be true? ) simply look on the internet California penal Codes c.p.c. 853.9 ( by the way Ca. notice's for traffic violations, municipal code violations all state this on the bottom of the citations) thru research and trial ( no Error ) the same is true for most other states. Constitutional law, the Supreme laws of this land. So all any one has to do is send to the issueing agency and the court a simple DEMAND for a VERIFIED COMPLAINT on the citation ( put the number in the demand ) Now you may ask what will happen , simple they can not give you a verified complaint because it needs to come from the injured party, there is none in these cases. the officer or official can not and will not show up , they can't . So as has happen manny times in the pasr your case is dismissed in the interest of Justice, because the officer failed to show at the hearing. Sound too simple , well it is for a little while longer, the Constitution of the United States is alive and well. Watch out for the North American Super Highway . check it out on line!!!!! Next you will get ticket a from a Canadan or Mexican cop !!!!

Last edited by beentheredoneitwonit; 03-26-2008 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 PM

13 posts, read 53,828 times
Default Red light cameras! for safty or money maker ?

Just heard a news report that the city of Pheonix made $200,000. in fines and another $100,000.00 in penelities last year. No figures on how many accidents or for that matter how many lives were saved. Fact is they really don't care.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 AM

611 posts, read 1,993,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
This country is based upon rules and laws. If you can't follow/obey them then you pay the consequences.
Laws followed blindly without regard to their neccessisty lead to loss of liberty. How many laws do we need?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,214,405 times
Laws followed blindly without regard to their neccessisty lead to loss of liberty. How many laws do we need?

A general legal theory interjection here. Laws represent the "will of the people", the "common mores and values society has determined are to be enforced". Society elects their legislature to MAKE the laws in a democratic process. The IDEA of democracy is that they elect those legislatures because they believe they will make good laws. The police are merely empowered to enforce the law. The judiciary is merely powered to interpret the laws. IF YOU DONT LIKE THE LAWS, VOTE THE MORONS MAKING THEM OUT OF OFFICE instead of seeking support for your excuses not to abide by them on a public forum! If you believe the laws are not enforced consistently or are unclear, again GO TO YOUR LEGISLATURE TO MAKE MORE LAWS TO CLARIFY THEM. That is the correct way to initiate public change-scream to your legislature or toss them rather than seeking to make some bold public statement in the name of avoiding a traffic ticket for which you most likely deserved. And I am sure many of the folks advocating this are in the same camp of "OMG! HOw on earth could they let that mass murderer who killed 12999 people including someone in MY FAMILY WALK FREE on a technicality because his service was on the wrong color paper from that specified in the statutory code?"

Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post

A general legal theory interjection here. Laws represent the "will of the people", the "common mores and values society has determined are to be enforced". Society elects their legislature to MAKE the laws in a democratic process. The IDEA of democracy is that they elect those legislatures because they believe they will make good laws. The police are merely empowered to enforce the law. The judiciary is merely powered to interpret the laws. IF YOU DONT LIKE THE LAWS, VOTE THE MORONS MAKING THEM OUT OF OFFICE instead of seeking support for your excuses not to abide by them on a public forum! If you believe the laws are not enforced consistently or are unclear, again GO TO YOUR LEGISLATURE TO MAKE MORE LAWS TO CLARIFY THEM. That is the correct way to initiate public change-scream to your legislature or toss them rather than seeking to make some bold public statement in the name of avoiding a traffic ticket for which you most likely deserved. And I am sure many of the folks advocating this are in the same camp of "OMG! HOw on earth could they let that mass murderer who killed 12999 people including someone in MY FAMILY WALK FREE on a technicality because his service was on the wrong color paper from that specified in the statutory code?"
Wow! No need to yell. Why are you being so judgemental? Ever here of free speech? How do you begin change? Well alerting others to the flagrent stripping of their personal liberty on a forum seems like a good place to start. You see it takes a popular movement by thousands to effect changes in the law. If I "GO TO MY LEGISLATURE" alone I will be patronized and quickly shown the door. If I show up with a petition signed by a couple hundred thousand voters I may have a chance.
Laws do not reperesent "the will of the people". We live in an apethetic society. Besides bad laws and unconstitutional laws even if they do represent the will of the people should be struck down. The Constitution is there to protect all. Not just the majority.
The OP is quite entitled to make "bold" statements whether you agree with him or not.
Finally equating a speeding ticket to mass murder is nothing more than an attempt to distract by arousing passions. Your analogy is not relevant.

Last edited by markas214; 03-28-2008 at 07:48 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,214,405 times
I fully support free speech. And the Constitution. And yes if laws are bad and go against that Constitution-they should absolutely be struck down. But struck down in a proper political/legal process such as you reference-->ie "getting a petition signed by many voters". That is what is SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. I see no justificiation for a flagrant civil disobedience over a mere traffic ticket which at most what sucks you out of a $150 fine-this isnt an "imminently and wantonly harmful" or "aggregious" denial of any liberty. It can be taken through the proper process to change the law if you feel that strongly about it and redress can be sought within the legal framework. But outright advocating disobeying the law over a mere traffic ticket? We are not talking capital punishment here or a wrong that is so flagrant or "cruel and unusual" that civil disobedience may be justified. It goes against the very fabric on which the whole system of laws and the Constitution is founded in the first place.

What is going on in this post has nothing to do with "free speech". Nor do some folks on this post seem to be advocating political activisim to get that petition started to initiate change. What certain folks on this post are advocating is breaking the law and not accepting the punishment due them for their traffic infraction rather than working to change the law if it needs changed.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I. What certain folks on this post are advocating is breaking the law .
I missed that. Please explain.

Personally I have a huge problem with having machines spying on the public to enrich the government. I believe Thomas Jefferson would have been mortified at the power and control the government has amassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area