Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 10,403 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

We're looking at moving into the Glendale, AZ neighborhood (to be specific, the area code is 85308) which is pretty much around north of the Agua Fria 101, between Sunset Canyon and Arroyo Springs area and pretty much between Arrowhead Ranch and Deer Valley.

I'd like to know about the safety of violence and crime from anyone who may have insight to this area and just generally how it compares?
Right now we just need to make sure that we find a place in a safe and secure neighborhood, and this home, in this area is what we're looking at getting

Any information/opinions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 06:06 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
here is a good place to start

https://www.city-data.com/city/Glendale-Arizona.html

Glendale is a large geographical area, with its good areas and bad, just like any other city of 250K+

what exact cross streets is the house you are thinking of buying near?

Old 12-16-2017, 01:15 AM

Thanks for your reply,

I'm looking at a place on the corner of W Quail Avenue & N 39th Drive

Old 12-16-2017, 08:56 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,218 times
I would consider the Spot Crime site

https://spotcrime.com/az/phoenix

You can customize it to your needs and get daily updates

Old 12-16-2017, 09:09 AM

Sorry, but I live about 20 minutes northwest of there, so I can't say with certainty what its like, but, looking at google maps, it looks like a nice area..How many times have you been out to that area to check it out?

Old 12-16-2017, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 13,498 times
I’m right in the area that you are talking about. Overall it’s very safe, clean, quiet; the arrowhead area of Glendale is one of the nicer ones in this part of the valley. Has all the basic amenities you need - arrowhead mall (huge commercial area) and Costco nearby, some various shopping plazas off the 101 and 67th and 59th Aves. You have Midwestern University south of the 101 on 59th ave, so more students around there. There are some nice hiking trails very close too, and you have a sprouts down the street. Not too much in the way of “excitement” or nightlife though. If you’re fine with mostly chain restaurants / small strip malls, and a quiet “suburbia” lifestyle it’s not a bad place by any means. Lake pleasant is also only about half an hour away.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:47 AM

Hey Alxz310,

Thanks so much for the insight.
The only thing that is bothering me is that there's multiple sources mentioning that Glendale is one of the most dangerous cities/suburbs of Phoenix. I assume this relates to more of the inner-city / downtown Glendale area and not the one I mentioned?

I just want to ensure that it's far away from all of that related crime that has been mentioned multiple times linked to 'Glendale'.

I also heard there was a shooting recently in Glendale.

Thanks a ton,

Old 12-17-2017, 09:52 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
It’s a big city with really crappy parts, but the entire city is not all bad. No one will be envious of your address, but there are nicer parts.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furine View Post
Hey Alxz310,

The only thing that is bothering me is that there's multiple sources mentioning that Glendale is one of the most dangerous cities/suburbs of Phoenix. I assume this relates to more of the inner-city / downtown Glendale area and not the one I mentioned?

I just want to ensure that it's far away from all of that related crime that has been mentioned multiple times linked to 'Glendale'.

Thanks a ton,
Where do you live now; maybe someone can compare your current home to where in Glendale you are looking at..
There is crime EVERYWHERE in this country, so thinking you will never live anywhere near crime occurs is a pipe dream

Lots of guns in Arizona, so obviously there will be some shootings; is it like Chicago with about 700 MURDERS per year,...not at all
Can anyone guarantee you wont be near a crime anywhere in Glendale? of course not..

As someone mentioned, there are lousy areas of Glendale, just like any city anywhere, and there are many nice areas...the area you are looking at is nice, but, of course, there is no area immune from crime..

Old 12-17-2017, 08:08 PM

9 posts, read 13,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furine View Post
Hey Alxz310,

Thanks a ton,
I was a bit hesitant when I read about that before moving here as well, but this part of the city is completely different and more in line with North Peoria in terms of crime/safety. It is a sleepy suburb with not much going on besides for some occasional property crime, and the arrowhead area is one of the more affluent in the area. In general, Glendale gets nicer as you go North, with anything south of Thunderbird Road starting to get a bit more seedy. I have never felt unsafe in the area you are talking about and would walk around my dog at night just fine. I am more concerned about the coyotes / rattlesnakes I’ve seen around than getting mugged at any point since I leave near a wash . Basically, Glendale in general is “okay” and can be dangerous and gets a bad rap, but it is huge, and this part of the city is definitely not where cops focus their attention on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area