Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:23 PM

22 posts, read 35,205 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts/insight on owning a house that backs up to a wash as opposed to backing up to a neighbor?

For those backing up to a wash, any issues with wildlife? More or less snakes, scorpions, etc? Any issues with privacy/security? I've seen some homes have the walking paths behind them. I've noticed most homes backing a wash have an open fence. Does that feel more open/bigger?

Those backing to neighbors, any horror stories or issues dealing with neighbors? I get that it all depends on the type of neighbor you have, but looking for thoughts or concerns of things maybe I haven't thought of. I live in Chicago and have neighbors very close, but I'm on a corner and only have one adjacent neighbor. We have alleys so there are not any homes backing up to my yard. Not that alleys provide acres of space between neighbors, but it gives a little buffer as opposed to have numerous yards basically all attached. I've noticed these type of yards have the cinder block walls. Does that give a more confined feel?

These are a few specific questions, but basically looking for pros and cons for each. Wondering if people have one scenario and wish they lived in the other for whatever reason. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
I have a preserve area behind me -not a wash but a "mountain". I thank the powers that be everyday of my life that I have no neighbors back there! No bbqs, no kids yelling, nobody in my business. It is just so nice looking at nature (thru an open fence) rather than seeing the back of somebody's house. I have a 1/3 acre cul-de-sac lot so it is pretty open anyway but the view makes it look like much bigger than that. We have scorpions on occasion, but no more than when I lived with a normal lot. I have never had a snake in 20 years of living here. We had coyotes that would sit up on the hill and howl at night when I first moved in, but new housing and people drove them off. There are zillions of quail and rabbits and I had to run chicken wire at the base of the view fence to keep the rabbits out of my backyard where they were eating everything we planted. Other than that there is no way, no how I would want to live without a wash or some sort of open area behind me now.

If you can get a wash or a view lot of some sort take it! It is cheek to jowl in this city on tiny lots and you will be grateful everyday that you have a little illusion of seclusion.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 AM

586 posts, read 541,152 times
I have had both yards here in Estrella and I can't say I have noticed much difference with regards to wild life or snakes and such. Where I did notice a difference was temperature in the yard. The wash was a north backyard and as a snowbird it kept me inside almost all winter as it was colder at night. My present East facing walled yard allows me to have a warmer area at night in the winter which works better for me.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:20 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times
Our house backs up to a wash, and we are on the back street, of a gated community; on the other side of the wash there are houses, but the growth/trees/cactus that are growing in there pretty much gives us privacy from them most of the time; plus, there are mountains all around us, so we have the wash, the mountains, and better sense of privacy then most houses out here; our next door neighbors on both sides are really close, about 10 feet between houses, but with the 6 foot cinderblock walls between houses, and the fact that both neighbors are great, that isnt an issue either.
We're from Hinsdale, and our next door neighbors were from Palos Hills, so that started a nice friendship when we first moved here.
Yes, we see lots of wildlife, coyotes/bobcats, rabbits,lizards, some snakes, but, you get used to looking first before you walk, and at night, when walking, we use flashlights,walking sticks, and sometimes I put a pistol in my pocket just in case.
A couple of scorpions, but with good pest control that kills their food before they find it, you can reduce/eliminate scorpions in most cases.
Remember, unless you live in Central Phoenix, you are going to encounter alot more wildlife here than you ever did in Chicago; just be cautious until you learn their patterns and habits, and enjoy the fact there is still so much nature living naturally out here..I assume thats part of why you would move out here, or is it just for the weather?

Old 01-16-2018, 03:05 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,775,769 times
We are in Anthem with a view fence backed up to common area and on of the community entrance waterfalls. We love the openness of a view fence and traffic is not a bother except for the occasional loud motorcycle or side/side cart racing their engine.

No snakes in our first year here but we did have to fish out 13 desert field mice from the pool over the course of the summer. We have chicken wire on the view fence but I'm pretty sure they burrow under the block wall. No biggie. As others said, pest control keeps scorpions to a minimum. Usually found dead.

We love Anthem.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 PM

186 posts, read 195,242 times
I’ll take the wash over a neighbor any day. Always something to see out there . . . Rabbits, quail, roadrunners, coyotes, pigs, hawks, etc. No snake or scorpion issues.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have a preserve area behind me -not a wash but a "mountain". I thank the powers that be everyday of my life that I have no neighbors back there! No bbqs, no kids yelling, nobody in my business. It is just so nice looking at nature (thru an open fence) rather than seeing the back of somebody's house. I have a 1/3 acre cul-de-sac lot so it is pretty open anyway but the view makes it look like much bigger than that. We have scorpions on occasion, but no more than when I lived with a normal lot. I have never had a snake in 20 years of living here. We had coyotes that would sit up on the hill and howl at night when I first moved in, but new housing and people drove them off. There are zillions of quail and rabbits and I had to run chicken wire at the base of the view fence to keep the rabbits out of my backyard where they were eating everything we planted. Other than that there is no way, no how I would want to live without a wash or some sort of open area behind me now.

If you can get a wash or a view lot of some sort take it! It is cheek to jowl in this city on tiny lots and you will be grateful everyday that you have a little illusion of seclusion.
In Anthem? You may be my neighbor.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Me too.

Have had scorpions. Had bobcats in the yard once. Also have some huge owls that visit occasionally and roadrunners. Every so often a coyote or two come up to the fence and we can hear packs howling at night.

All of it is way better than a house behind us. Of course we have to be careful letting the dogs out.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:11 AM

274 posts, read 294,370 times
Depending on where at in Arizona, having a home that backs up against the desert or a wash comes with the possibility of flooding in monsoon season. Depending on how the wash is built, how much rain, and how far away it is for your home, or how high up you're elevated, you may be fine. When I lived in a home that was backed up against the desert, we did have scorpions, lizards, birds, rabbits, etc. Never saw many snakes, but the possibility was definitely there. Heard coyotes about every night, and some would run out of the washes into the streets early in the morning. Sometimes javelinas would run out of the wash, too, and into the street. I definitely wouldn't recommend having pets outdoors overnight. The open space didn't feel bigger without a fence or a fence you can see through - it felt a little vulnerable in my opinion.

One time I remember living in a home for a while that were back to back with neighbors and I hated it. For one, they were in a two story home and we were in a one story - every time I was in the backyard, I felt like they could see everything I was doing if they wanted to. Secondly, it got obnoxious when they had their get togethers, especially when they decided on fireworks because it was sooo loud and noisy. If the neighbors are more pleasant, I don't think I would've minded as much.

Sometimes I like the cinder block walls, or brick - it feels more private to me and I enjoy it. Some may not like it as much as a wooden or metal fence.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 PM

22 posts, read 35,205 times
Thanks again for all the insight. I appreciate it. I'm glad the flooding was mentioned. Is that something anyone in Anthem has experienced or heard of happening in Anthem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: