Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,370 times

Advertisements

Is the area around The Boulders considered a "far North Scottsdale" area?
Do you think that area is any cooler during the extreme heat of summer temps?
From The Boulders, approximately how long does it take to get to major shopping, such as Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Home Goods, etc?

MANY thanks in advance,

Sharon

Last edited by thelovelymrsd1; 02-05-2018 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add thanks and my name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Yes, very far north Scottsdale. Quite removed, IMO, as it's a long haul south to get to the freeway. Closer to Cave Creek actually. Very pretty up there though, but a bit isolated.

It will likely be a bit cooler, but not enough to make a significant difference. It will still be very hot.

Google Maps will show you distances to shopping in the area.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:17 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Its quite a bit cooler up there, usually 5-8 degrees it seems. Youll notice the temp difference when you get north of Dixileta/Dynamite Rd area.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:05 PM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
It's off Scottsdale Rd and borders two towns so IMO it's not cutoff but yes North! depends onwhat you want to do - some people hardly leave the community they have golf etc but if you have to go to work in Phx or somewhere else - yes that would be a far drive.... look at TPC, Grayhawk, DC Ranch, etc

Old 02-05-2018, 04:25 PM

110 posts, read 119,149 times
I would honestly say Rio Verde is a far North Scottsdale area. It also depends what you would call the Boulders, there is the boulders by Carefree and then there is the boulders by Happy Valley Road area.

South a little ways of Troon North, the boulders by Happy Valley Rd. is pretty nice and similar to the Boulders by Carefree, and much closer to town and the freeways.

The Boulders by Carefree, that's far out. You are easily looking at a drive of 30 minutes or more to get to some of the stores you mentioned.

The temperature in North Scottsdale is just a matter of opinion in a lot of ways. Even if there is a 5 degree temperature difference between there and the rest of the valley, it really doesn't make a huge difference it is still above 110.
I wouldn't worry about the temperature difference so much as I would the drive and getting to shopping in a reasonable time.

Look into Desert View Village/Desert Ridge area, there is a lot of places to shop around there and it is much closer to the freeway. Also the area around Cave Buttes Recreation Area might work good for you. Both of these places are a bit more west, but that also means they are closer to Downtown Phoenix.

Have you looked into Central Scottsdale? The area east of the 101 and along Shea Rd. (known as the "Shea corridor") might also be worth your time. Similar feel as the Boulders, much closer in to the valley, and many more shops and restaurants.

I hope this helps, I saw your message earlier today, I hope you found it helpful!

Old 02-05-2018, 06:28 PM

Rio Verde is Rio Verde, not Scotttsdale. And true middle of nowhere.

The Boulders is a resort. There’s only one.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Rio Verde is Rio Verde, not Scotttsdale. And true middle of nowhere.

The Boulders is a resort. There’s only one.
Depends on who you ask, the zip code 85262 is a Scottsdale zip code and the main road that goes through there is Rio Verde Rd. That's why I refer to it as Rio Verde, I am not the only one. 85263 is officially Rio Verde, not Scottsdale.

Like I said there are two "Boulders" areas. The one by Happy Valley, that is part of the McDowells. And the other by Carefree. I don't think they say it on Google maps or anything, but I've been to North Scottsdale numerous times over the years. Believe me on this one.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:45 PM

What’s The Boulders on Happy Valley?

Old 02-06-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
What’s The Boulders on Happy Valley?
In the area of Happy Valley Rd. South of Troon North. It has a lot of that boulder thing going on.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:53 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelovelymrsd1 View Post
Is the area around The Boulders considered a "far North Scottsdale" area?
Do you think that area is any cooler during the extreme heat of summer temps?
From The Boulders, approximately how long does it take to get to major shopping, such as Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Home Goods, etc?

MANY thanks in advance,

Sharon
Just a comment on the temperatures, the altitude change will be by far the most significant factor to vary the climate in Arizona. You will get about 3.3F lower every 1000' elevation increase. You're probably looking at a 500-700' elevation increase (you need to check the location) so it might be 1.5F-2F cooler than south Scottsdale. If it's 110F in South Scottsdale, you're only getting 108F. By the time you get to Carefree, it's about 5F cooler which should be perceptible.

Sedona at 4300' would be about 10F cooler than Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area