Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,274 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot about roaches being a problem in Phoenix but wanted to see if it was overblown. I've lived one place roaches were a problem for us (when we lived in the South- mainly outside) and it was a nightmare. So who has had a problem with this in a Phoenix? Who has never had an issue? Just wondering how widespread this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 PM

274 posts, read 294,962 times
In the Phoenix area, I have only heard about people that have had horrid roach problems, but there were also a lot of other problems with the complex and it wasn't in a good area (couldn't tell you specifically where this was). I've been in a cockroach infested apartment in Arizona, but this was not in the Phoenix valley or metro area.

In the Phoenix area, I seem to hear more about bedbugs than I do roaches, though.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
I'm in Mesa, no problem with any bugs yet. Of course, summer isn't here either.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 PM

110 posts, read 119,250 times
I think like most places roaches will only be a problem if you are in a crappy house or apartment. I have heard of bad roach problems, but that is typically at really bad areas where housing is terrible. Sometimes it can be a slight problem with older homes. The one thing though that does seem to attract them is lots of water and wet grassy areas. Although now I think they spray for that a lot more effectively. As long as you are in a drier area and decent houses you shouldn't have a problem. You may see one or two in the summer, but that should be it.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,975,314 times
The tenants bring them with them. Especially the hoarders. Can be a huge problem. Firewalls may only separate blocks of units, rarely individual units.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:29 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,244,125 times
My dad bought a house at 55th Ave and Northern in 1995 and the day we moved in there was roaches in the pool, sinks, toilets, and showers. After a year there wasn't another, we moved out in 2001. Good cleaning and pest control can rid you of roach problems in single family homes but apartments are a different issue entirely.

I've never seen any in the homes I've lived in since that one and my tenants have never complained about them so it isn't that big of an issue in general I'd bet. Some neighborhoods may have more problems with them than others but you can combat it much more effectively these days.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,375 times
I lived in an old apartment which is now torn down around the Biltmore area. I had a few big roaches but the big problem were the german cockroaches. They are small and annoying. They lived in the kitchen walls I think.

Never had an issue when I moved to Central/N Scottsdale in a newer development. Now living in central Phoenix in a complex built in 1999 but is clean and updated with 0 bug issues

That is not to say nicer development don't have issues though!! Just make sure to pay attention when being shown around during a tour. Definitely ask about spraying services and ask neighbors as well. My parents have a house in East Sdale and have no issues with cockroaches specifically.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:33 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times
I'm in central Scottsdale and have had just minor issues. Ive seen several outside on the walls around the condo, and one monster one came up out of the spare bedroom's tub, which was horrifying. I was told those are sewer roaches and common here. We poured bleach down the drain and learned to close off the sinks and tubs at night for fear of more getting in. Walking around the neighborhood at night, we see TONS of them on the outside walls around businesses, etc. I guess theyre just the name of the game in these parts. As long as theyre outside, I don't care.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:59 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,975,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'm in central Scottsdale and have had just minor issues. Ive seen several outside on the walls around the condo, and one monster one came up out of the spare bedroom's tub, which was horrifying. I was told those are sewer roaches and common here. We poured bleach down the drain and learned to close off the sinks and tubs at night for fear of more getting in. Walking around the neighborhood at night, we see TONS of them on the outside walls around businesses, etc. I guess theyre just the name of the game in these parts. As long as theyre outside, I don't care.
Good point, you want to cover drains if going away. Maybe even a little powder in the dry pipe.
I am sold on the ultrasonic repellers. A mouse could render a new car just about worthless, by eating the wiring.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:29 PM

597 posts, read 667,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Roaches like moisture, and Arizona is relatively dry, so I'm guessing the sewer system is very attractive. In places that are just as warm but much more humid, like New Orleans and Miami, you'll see the big ones outside much more often generally - not confined to nighttime or certain locations (not that you never see them in Phoenix).

That said, I've been visiting Phoenix 2-4 times per year for 20 years and have never seen a lot of roaches. Once in the bathroom of a Goodwill in Chandler, and one huge one in the parking lot of Macy's at Superstition Springs. But, that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area