Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:03 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
At $12,000 a year, I believe you would be required to sign up for Medicaid and would not be eligible for coverage+subsidy in the Marketplace. If you obtain marketplace coverage and receive a subsidy, if your income is too low on your tax return, you can be penalized for using the marketplace coverage instead of medicaid coverage. The income level for this will vary by state.
Correct, and it varies a lot by state. I know some self employed in Virginia who are very focussed on staying in the sweet spot. And, yes, if you end up not making it, they will come after you with a vengeance. And the latest thing is that just living in high income zipcodes with a lower income is the newest redflag, even for those who bought their homes decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:50 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
I have studied the topic with intensity.

FOR SELF EMPLOYED/individual, BSCS isn't available in Maricopa County. Only "Flip Sh_ts Mutual" out of Missouri. For my wife and I at age 53, it's about $1275 a month total with (from memory) $6800 deductable for each of us.
Worse yet, the only available worthless plan has a 25 mile constraint in order to be in network. What that means is I cannot travel to Scottsdale to see a doctor because I live in Surprise. If I do, I would be out of network. So let's say I need to see a dermatologist. Their lead times are normally three to six months out. If I find a doctor in Gilbert I can see me, I'm not covered! This isn't for debate as I called insurance company to verify. So in summary, it's a gigantic piece of crap overpriced policy.
They're all all kinds of health insurance that let you take on the risk by excluding pre-existing conditions. Additionally, the penalty for not officially having a qualified plan is no longer in levied . Trump changed that.

If you go off the grid and get one of several plans you agree not to cover pre-existing conditions, realize that they may twist what is in your records and later call it pre-existing. Maybe you have high blood pressure and higher than average arterial sclerosis. Maybe your insurance kick back your heart attack as "pre-existing".
Therefore, we stayed as a Minnesota residence. We pay around $950 with an equally High deductible per month for my wife and I but at least we have a name brand company behind us. As important, the company we chose here allows for a bunch more flexible Network. Not some stupid 25 mile radius. So buyer beware!

Needless to say, the system is still chronically broken. Special interest money is making sure that no one touches there key issues. So insurance companies, doctors, Pharmaceuticals, etcetera all have written out large checks creating a stalemate so that we all pay through the nose. Luckily, I can "afford" the premiums. But if you land up in the doctor, realize it's going to be extremely easy to be tapped at $20,000 lickety split (premium plus deductables). In my humble opinion, it's going to get worse assuming it EVER gets better. A solution that some families have used is to get below the threshold I'm government help and around $67,000 family adjusted income. In other words, people are being motivated to work less. Government brainless policies strike again!

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-20-2018 at 05:58 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 AM

444 posts, read 321,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

FOR SELF EMPLOYED/individual, BSCS isn't available in Maricopa County. Only "Flip Sh_ts Mutual" out of Missouri. For my wife and I at age 53, it's about $1275 a month total with (from memory) $6800 deductable for each of us.
Worse yet, the only available worthless plan has a 25 mile constraint in order to be in network. What that means is I cannot travel to Scottsdale to see a doctor because I live in Surprise. If I do, I would be out of network. So let's say I need to see a dermatologist. Their lead times are normally three to six months out. If I find a doctor in Gilbert I can see me, I'm not covered! This isn't for debate as I called insurance company to verify. So in summary, it's a gigantic piece of crap overpriced policy.
They're all all kinds of health insurance that let you take on the risk by excluding pre-existing conditions. Additionally, the penalty for not officially having a qualified plan is no longer in levied . Trump changed that.

If you go off the grid and get one of several plans you agree not to cover pre-existing conditions, realize that they may twist what is in your records and later call it pre-existing. Maybe you have high blood pressure and higher than average arterial sclerosis. Maybe your insurance kick back your heart attack as "pre-existing".
Therefore, we stayed as a Minnesota residence. We pay around $950 with an equally High deductible per month for my wife and I but at least we have a name brand company behind us. As important, the company we chose here allows for a bunch more flexible Network. Not some stupid 25 mile radius. So buyer beware!

Needless to say, the system is still chronically broken. Special interest money is making sure that no one touches there key issues. So insurance companies, doctors, Pharmaceuticals, etcetera all have written out large checks creating a stalemate so that we all pay through the nose. Luckily, I can "afford" the premiums. But if you land up in the doctor, realize it's going to be extremely easy to be tapped at $20,000 lickety split (premium plus deductables). In my humble opinion, it's going to get worse assuming it EVER gets better. A solution that some families have used is to get below the threshold I'm government help and around $67,000 family adjusted income. In other words, people are being motivated to work less. Government brainless policies strike again!
Agree with what you are posting here, except for the Obamacare penalty. It is still in effect for 2018, the GOP tax bill will remove the penalty effective in 2019. I live in CA wanting to move to AZ and about the only thing cheaper in CA versus AZ is Obamacare healthcare coverage, bronze plans start at under $550 per month for someone over 60 in CA.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/obam...ty-calculator/

Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

I have coverage with Ambetter thru the marketplace, for Maricopa County. I have none of the restrictions you reference on my plan. I have no geographic restrictions as long as the dr or clinic is in network. The network is decent. I called a cardio group for a new patient appointment, expecting it to be 2-3 months out like it was in ABQ - nope, wait was 2 weeks. Sweet. My Rx are all Tier 1 so there is no copay to me. My tests are not covered until I meet my deductible, but spend a little time on Google and you can find inexpensive alternates for just about any test your dr might order (lots of schools and clinic competition here in the metro, plus if you pay cash the price is often lower, less work for the clinic front office). I have a high monthly premium, $994 or so, but my co pay is only $5 for doctors, $25 for urgent care clinics and my deductible is $1850. I figured I could afford a set monthly price better than I could afford an emergency and having to cough up the money with no notice. The "lower priced" plans really weren't that much lower (still $900 and up) and had higher deductibles and higher copays. Being self-employed, I also get to deduct 100% of the premiums and am not limited by a % of AGI (like most are if they itemize).

Old 02-20-2018, 11:38 PM

310 posts, read 446,553 times
We would be living off of savings until 59-1/2 then off of 401k. Would we qualify for subsidy or Medicaid if living off of savings? I would retire now/early if it weren’t for high cost of med insurance. I’m trying to educate myself before retiring early.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
We would be living off of savings until 59-1/2 then off of 401k. Would we qualify for subsidy or Medicaid if living off of savings? I would retire now/early if it weren’t for high cost of med insurance. I’m trying to educate myself before retiring early.
Good luck getting Medicaid with significant savings, our even savings that isn't significant. I am not even going to look it up, go ahead. Turn your wealth over to the State, comrade.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 AM

444 posts, read 321,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
The 401k income or traditional IRA withdrawal you receive would be considered taxable income in determining whether or not you receive a subsidy. If you have a ROTH IRA and receive money from it, this would not be considered taxable income. Capital gain income from stocks or mutual funds would also be part of modified adjusted gross income. Below is a calculator that can help determine if you receive a subsidy or not.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/obam...dy-calculator/

Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I have coverage with Ambetter thru the marketplace, for Maricopa County. I have none of the restrictions you reference on my plan. I have no geographic restrictions as long as the dr or clinic is in network. The network is decent. I called a cardio group for a new patient appointment, expecting it to be 2-3 months out like it was in ABQ - nope, wait was 2 weeks. Sweet. My Rx are all Tier 1 so there is no copay to me. My tests are not covered until I meet my deductible, but spend a little time on Google and you can find inexpensive alternates for just about any test your dr might order (lots of schools and clinic competition here in the metro, plus if you pay cash the price is often lower, less work for the clinic front office). I have a high monthly premium, $994 or so, but my co pay is only $5 for doctors, $25 for urgent care clinics and my deductible is $1850. I figured I could afford a set monthly price better than I could afford an emergency and having to cough up the money with no notice. The "lower priced" plans really weren't that much lower (still $900 and up) and had higher deductibles and higher copays. Being self-employed, I also get to deduct 100% of the premiums and am not limited by a % of AGI (like most are if they itemize).
You are correct and I stand corrected. The employee that I spoke right now said that the radius is 30 miles on their site. Therefore any Dr. that takes Ambetter in the county is in network. That of course makes sense. But when I spoke with their representative before, I must have gotten a not-so-smart employee on the line. Because I was FLOORED by their answer. And because of that odd answer, I asked the question three different ways. The risk of getting inaccurate information is all to common when plans change by the hour.

But fear not. With Obamacare, you get to keep your same doctor. We all learned that was a crock of crap.

Also, Ambetter in AZ got a a 1 star out of 370 reviews.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:56 AM

Check out the reviews on BCBS....absolutely horrendous...thousands and thousands of them. If it was a motel; you wouldn't even want to be in the same neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Check out the reviews on BCBS....absolutely horrendous...thousands and thousands of them. If it was a motel; you wouldn't even want to be in the same neighborhood.
Actually. It depends on where you are looking. https://usinsuranceagents.com/review...s-blue-shield/ While there are plenty of bad reviews for every single insurance company, far and a way, BCBS is the best of the worst. based off of that link, it shows 1020 reviews and 3.8 stars out of 5. When people rate a company, they normally do so when they are b_tching or complaining. I normally fall in that camp as well.

From my experience, I'd give BCBS a letter grade C+ grade. Like I said, it goes downhill from BCBS. Price, quality, service. Pick two of the three. BCBS certainly charges the most and they "o.k." to work with. Plus, my customer is the CFO (there are separate business units based off of regions). So if I had a big problem, I'd call him on his cell at night for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area