Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who sees Roosevelt Row as a lame blemish on our otherwise unique city? Its so mainstream hipster that it makes me wanna puke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,109,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Am I the only one who sees Roosevelt Row as a lame blemish on our otherwise unique city? Its so mainstream hipster that it makes me wanna puke.
With all the huge growth in development that's been there over the past 5 years it's certainly begun to lose some of it's original quirky character, but I think that cool and upcoming neighborhood mantle has moved to neighborhoods further north and east (and even west a little bit). Coronado continues to be on the upswing, but for areas with apartment activity it's really the areas surrounding Arcadia Lite, Biltmore/Camelback East, and Uptown where you've got some unique housing product and a good deal of "cool"establishments and involved residents. I'm talking north of Thomas, east of 7th St, South of Glendale, and West of, say 24th St. Sunnyslope is also seeing the beginnings of becoming something more.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:15 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Quote:
Yeah, art, good food, beer, coffee, a walkable environment, unique shops, events, all super nauseating. What exactly would you prefer in an urban setting?

Old 02-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Yeah, art, good food, beer, coffee, a walkable environment, unique shops, events, all super nauseating. What exactly would you prefer in an urban setting?
That's the EXACT same stuff that Scottsdale has, yet Scottsdale is "urban" enough. Its "too suburban" they say.

I'm sorry, but all Roosevelt Row is is murals painted on walls, coffee shops, hipster joints, overpriced apartments, and "art" galleries (most of which is modern garbage from what I saw). That's not unique or "quirky" in any sense of the word. Its the same old story repeated over and over and over again in gentrified areas of cities all across the nation, therefore losing any quirkiness that might have originally been there. Its a generic carbon copy of anything you can find from Portland to Pittsburgh.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
That's the EXACT same stuff that Scottsdale has, yet Scottsdale is "urban" enough. Its "too suburban" they say.

I'm sorry, but all Roosevelt Row is is murals painted on walls, coffee shops, hipster joints, overpriced apartments, and "art" galleries (most of which is modern garbage from what I saw). That's not unique or "quirky" in any sense of the word. Its the same old story repeated over and over and over again in gentrified areas of cities all across the nation, therefore losing any quirkiness that might have originally been there. Its a generic carbon copy of anything you can find from Portland to Pittsburgh.
When I eat, drink or buy something, I don't say, "man, this is so unique"; I say, "man, this is so good". Why should I care if someone can get the same coffee and sandwich in Pittsburgh, if I'm enjoying it here? That's some hipster mentality there. If it's good, I couldn't care less about its "quirkiness".

FWIW, places like Short Leash, Phoenix Public Market Cafe, Cobra, DeSoto Market, Angels Trumpet, Bliss, FilmBar, The Nash, The Dressing Room, etc., are not carbon copies of anything in Scottsdale and are pretty unique for the area as a whole.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:10 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,527 times
Quote:
Please don't claim Phoenix as your city. Clearly your city is, alternately, Chicago or Scottsdale.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:19 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
When I eat, drink or buy something, I don't say, "man, this is so unique"; I say, "man, this is so good". Why should I care if someone can get the same coffee and sandwich in Pittsburgh, if I'm enjoying it here? That's some hipster mentality there. If it's good, I couldn't care less about its "quirkiness".

FWIW, places like Short Leash, Phoenix Public Market Cafe, Cobra, DeSoto Market, Angels Trumpet, Bliss, FilmBar, The Nash, The Dressing Room, etc., are not carbon copies of anything in Scottsdale and are pretty unique for the area as a whole.

Exactly.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Uhhh, isn't this whole thread about quirky/interesting/funky neighborhoods we're supposed to be recommending the OP?

Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Please don't claim Phoenix as your city. Clearly your city is, alternately, Chicago or Scottsdale.
I work in PHX, spend a LOT of time in PHX, and spend a lot of money in PHX. Don't tell me what I can or cant claim.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Uhhh, isn't this whole thread about quirky/interesting/funky neighborhoods we're supposed to be recommending the OP?
That's fair, but I was responding to this, not to the OP. Your claim was that Roosevelt Row was not quirky enough so it makes you nauseous.

Quote:

If you don't have a response to what I replied to that comment with, that's fine, but no need for the circular reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area