Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:21 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post

If you don't have a response to what I replied to that comment with, that's fine, but no need for the circular reasoning.
Fair enough.

I agree that PHX has places like the Cobra arcade, Desoto Market, etc, that Scottsdale doesn't have an equal to. If that's the route we're heading down, there are places in Scottsdale that PHX doesn't have an equal to, but that's another story for another day. The Desoto Market is unique in its old building setting with outdoor seating, but it isn't exactly in an area that's overly urban, even though its close to downtown. It doesn't feel as urban to me as Old Town Scottsdale, which IMO is a more "interesting" or "funky" place than Roosevelt Row. Why? I mean, where can you hit up a Native American jewelry shop, a fountain park, a fine art gallery, happenin night club, and fine dining all on the same block on Roosevelt Row?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 03:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Fair enough.

I agree that PHX has places like the Cobra arcade, Desoto Market, etc, that Scottsdale doesn't have an equal to. If that's the route we're heading down, there are places in Scottsdale that PHX doesn't have an equal to, but that's another story for another day. The Desoto Market is unique in its old building setting with outdoor seating, but it isn't exactly in an area that's overly urban, even though its close to downtown. It doesn't feel as urban to me as Old Town Scottsdale, which IMO is a more "interesting" or "funky" place than Roosevelt Row. Why? I mean, where can you hit up a Native American jewelry shop, a fountain park, a fine art gallery, happenin night club, and fine dining all on the same block on Roosevelt Row?
I think that just proves that each has different things going for it. In Roosevelt Row you can hit up a vintage store, a gourmet food court, an arcade bar, a music store selling vinyl(!!) - things that you can't find in Old Town. I live much closer to Old Town, but hang out more in and around Roosevelt Row. I don't care about turquoise jewelry or nightclubs so I tend to like the places there better.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:28 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Nobody else has chimed in about the neighborhoods other than Roosevelt, so I will. I live in Coronado which right now is considered the most affordable of the historic neighborhoods. Roughly 7th Street to 16th Street, McDowell to Thomas Road. We are having our annual home tour and festival this weekend.

Sunnyslope is hit or miss but it's an up and coming hip neighborhood. One block will be low income multi-tenant housing and a block away will be a really cool mid-century house up on a hill with killer views into downtown Phoenix.

The biggest concentration of hip neighborhoods will be between 19th Ave on the west to 16th Street on the east.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 PM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times
Quote:
I think that just proves that each has different things going for it. In Roosevelt Row you can hit up a vintage store, a gourmet food court, an arcade bar, a music store selling vinyl(!!) - things that you can't find in Old Town. I live much closer to Old Town, but hang out more in and around Roosevelt Row. I don't care about turquoise jewelry or nightclubs so I tend to like the places there better.
Thanks for the info.

This thread has been helpful.

I don't like cul-de-sac neighborhoods that are zoned to be only residential with a strip mall that you have to drive to.

Reminds me of Northern Virginia and parts of Southern California.

It's soul-crushing.

I like walkable neighborhood with restaurants, cafes and bars that you can walk to.

I also like walking in general and I do many things on foot in the city I currently live in. Luckily I live an 11 minute walk to work.

I know that won't be the case when I come to Phoenix, but I'll focus on a good, walkable, interesting, neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:04 PM

I went to the Coronado neighborhood street fair and home tour today and that neighborhood is awesome! Lots of cool things happening in that 'hood.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:19 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times
Quote:
I went to the Coronado neighborhood street fair and home tour today and that neighborhood is awesome! Lots of cool things happening in that 'hood.
Thanks, DN8.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I was a volunteer at the home tour and live in the neighborhood. Completely agree, just get in now before the prices skyrocket even more.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I was a volunteer at the home tour and live in the neighborhood. Completely agree, just get in now before the prices skyrocket even more.
They're definitely going up! What are your thoughts on the rehabs going for $6-700k? Do you think there's room for future appreciation given those already high prices? I saw those three new builds on Hoover and assume those will be somewhere around the $600k range. Is that progress for the neighborhood or does it diminish the eclectic vibe?

Old 02-26-2018, 03:29 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,452,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Nobody else has chimed in about the neighborhoods other than Roosevelt, so I will. I live in Coronado which right now is considered the most affordable of the historic neighborhoods...
Actually, Garfield is the most affordable of the Historic Neighborhoods. But it has gentrified incredibly in the last 5 or so years. It will be the next Coronado, but for now it is significantly less expensive.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
They're definitely going up! What are your thoughts on the rehabs going for $6-700k? Do you think there's room for future appreciation given those already high prices? I saw those three new builds on Hoover and assume those will be somewhere around the $600k range. Is that progress for the neighborhood or does it diminish the eclectic vibe?
According to who you talk to, it is diminishing the artsy, eclectic vibe. The general conversation at any neighborhood gathering is that there is no way most people who bought 3-4 years ago could afford to purchase now. A few of the big rehabs and new builds are not occupied, simply used as AirBnB's.

My personal take is why spend $600,000 to live in Coronado, when for the same amount of money you get a bigger house on a larger lot in a significantly safer neighborhood. Totally anecdotal on my part, but the few people I've met that have bought some of the large, expensive flips and new builds seem to be bringing in cash from living in California. We are ten minutes to the airport, so some of these people live and telecommute in Coronado and fly to California 1-2 times a month.

We've been here over three years and the vibe has changed since we got here. Overall I like it, but not enough to stick around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area