Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:45 AM

8,313 posts, read 8,740,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post
I hear what you are saying about kid centered neighborhoods not being great for retirees and I agree. The older I get the more I don’t want such hassles. My concern with many of the 55+ communities is that they are inextricably tied to golf. Consider Sun City has 11 golf courses. Golf is a dying game. Baby boomers have shunned the sport and the numbers are way down. The courses are not self-sustaining and more and more are being subsidized be regular HOA fees/dues, etc. Several older retirement communities are looking at shutting down courses, but it is not easy with deed restrictions. While I have nothing against golf, I am concerned with buying into a community where I have to subsidize a dying game and it may present financial problems down the road as the upkeep (huge water and payroll) is tremendous. I’m also concerned with the future impact on HOA fees. Thus, I was also considering planned communities that are not tied to golf. If you know of any good communities for retirees that are not tied to golf, I would love your input.
If it was such a dying game it would be easier to get a tee time. That is the only complaint I hear about golf other than some traps are too deep.

Sun City golf courses use reclaimed water. The only fresh water is snack bars and restrooms.

HOA fees are not connected to golf.

3 of the Sun City courses are privately owned. I don't hear anything about them closing due to not enough golfers.

Some of my $496 Rec Center fee may go to golf. Sun City has more amenities than any other Arizona 55+. I guess you could go somewhere else that doesn't have any of that money going to golf. You could pay $2000 a year for less amenities but not one dime for golf if that makes you happy.

Golf courses were over built. Many municipal courses have closed. If you look at the number of courses, golfers, and other factors we are probably at about the right number of courses in most areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 12:17 PM

90 posts, read 114,299 times
A sort of middle ground would be Westbrook Village in Peoria, which is not AS age restricted (40 years old minimum). It spans from 83rd/99th Avenue east/west and Beardsley/Union Hills north/south. They have tons of amenities and there are always residents out and about. Plus, you are not as far out west and closer to other things (Arrowhead for example). Not sure if you had your heart set on Surprise but just another option.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:33 PM

95 posts, read 163,494 times
I greatly appreciate the suggestion.I am open to any and all options in Arizona. Thank you, again!

Old 03-01-2018, 12:37 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,946,458 times
vistancia in Peoria is very nice, but you have to understand the HOA fees, and make sure you will use the facilities to get your monies worth; my wife and I decided we would NOT utilize all the things vistancia offered, so we moved into a "regular" gated community, not too far away.
But if you are into that kind of lifestyle, you would love it there..

Old 03-01-2018, 03:25 PM

94 posts, read 85,321 times
I moved from Surprise to one of the Sun Cities and couldn’t be happier. The last few years in Surprise were bad. Too many kids making too much noise. It would have been ok but houses are too close together. Lots of dogs barking unattended in yards, and my favorite the teens with the new LOUD mufflers going up and down the street day and night with music blaring. And the ATVs.... motorcycles .... don’t get me started.

SCG is nice and quiet.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,753,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catosmato View Post
I moved from Surprise to one of the Sun Cities and couldn’t be happier. The last few years in Surprise were bad. Too many kids making too much noise. It would have been ok but houses are too close together. Lots of dogs barking unattended in yards, and my favorite the teens with the new LOUD mufflers going up and down the street day and night with music blaring. And the ATVs.... motorcycles .... don’t get me started.

SCG is nice and quiet.
SCG is in Surprise. Just pointing that out.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,116,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
vistancia in Peoria is very nice, but you have to understand the HOA fees, and make sure you will use the facilities to get your monies worth; my wife and I decided we would NOT utilize all the things vistancia offered, so we moved into a "regular" gated community, not too far away.
But if you are into that kind of lifestyle, you would love it there..
We'd looked into Vistancia as well and found the HOA fees were too high for our tastes, same with Pebble Creek.
The thing about the Sun Cities is the HOA fee (actually Activity fee) is only $495 per year. Unless you live in a Duplex or Condo that's all you'll pay UNLESS you want to join one of the many clubs (quilting,cars,motorcycles,wood,metals etc). Sun Cities put in place what I'd call an "ala Carte" fee system so you only pay for what you use past the Activity fee which gives access to pools/exercise facilities.
When it comes to golf, if you want more access than what the general public gets you have to join the golf club so it's your choice to pay or not pay.

One thing that many don't know is you can be as young as 45 to buy a home in Sun City Grand. I know, darn youngsters running around...

Old 03-02-2018, 06:08 PM

7,825 posts, read 6,465,087 times
We lived in Sun City West which is 55+ for 14 years. There is no way we would live in an all age community.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:13 AM

9,887 posts, read 11,292,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We lived in Sun City West which is 55+ for 14 years. There is no way we would live in an all age community.
I'd hate to live in a community where most everyone hates to live with people younger than them. To me at least, that says something (not-so-nice) about them.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,116,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'd hate to live in a community where most everyone hates to live with people younger than them. To me at least, that says something (not-so-nice) about them.
Maybe they are tired of all the crap that can come along with living around young people nowadays? Lack of parenting, lack of respect for others, lack of respect for others property and rules,F-Bombs and vulgar rap music blaring etc? Then toss in the threats of violence/vandalism should one dare to ask for things to stop.
Sadly it's been my experience over the last few years it's not just young kids acting this way but people under 30 or so...

Or, maybe they've just become old and crotchety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area