Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 PM

102 posts, read 112,272 times

Advertisements

Lots of people from the Northwest moving here and/or buying a 2nd home. Hopefully it works out well for your family. Prices are crazy up there! Surprise/Peoria are great options and so is North Phoenix (Tramonto) depending on your budget.

As for the 2 cities you mentioned Peoria arguably has the more desirable schools. And easier to get in and out of. Shopping is plentiful in both areas as is medical, dining, etc.

How far north are you wanting to go to camp?

Daycare really varies for pricing.

I am from Belleview and have lived in other areas too and it took me about a year to get used to the heat. It really isn't that bad unless you plan on playing out in the heat in the middle of the day in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:35 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,998,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticPhxDude View Post
it took me about a year to get used to the heat. It really isn't that bad unless you plan on playing out in the heat in the middle of the day in August.
Or June. Or July. Or September.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:59 PM

90 posts, read 114,056 times
NORTH (85383/85382) Peoria has better schools than Surprise, hands down. It's also a bit easier to get around if you're in North Peoria, as the the 101 is closer. Can't really chime in on the cost of child care, but it's definitely less expensive than what you're currently paying! There are many places up north to camp, but during the summer, that's what everyone is doing on the weekend to escape the heat. It is going to definitely take some time to acclimate to the summers here. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2018, 05:22 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,765,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Visiting Phoenix in February is like visiting Seattle in July and then saying, "What's with all the complaining about climate? Seems great to me!" I've lived in AZ all my life and my ability to tolerate the 5 months of intense heat is decreasing, so I will be moving to Washington in retirement, knowing that we will likely leave for 3 months of the year to sunnier locations. I've spent time in WA in every type of weather throughout the year, so I know what I'm getting into, and will plan escapes accordingly.
5 months of INTENSE heat is a stretch to me, but I've only been here 16 years now, so I'm not considered a lifer. I don't find May to be bad at all and by late September relief is in the air. So I call it 4 personally and it's never impacted my ability to enjoy hiking/biking year-round, I just get up early in the summer, pretty easy. I've spent enough time in the Northwest during the winter to realize that amount of darkness would never work out for me, personally. To each their own though.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:23 PM

202 posts, read 221,917 times
Why Peoria and Suprise? Those are the last places I’d consider unless I was strapped for cash.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,708,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
Why Peoria and Suprise? Those are the last places I’d consider unless I was strapped for cash.
I’m wondering the same. Especially when the brother lives in Scottsdale. Do you not like him?

Old 04-07-2018, 12:02 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,095,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticPhxDude View Post
I am from Belleview and have lived in other areas too and it took me about a year to get used to the heat. It really isn't that bad unless you plan on playing out in the heat in the middle of the day in August.
Bellevue?

Old 04-07-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
What’s wrong with Peoria? For someone with a teenager?

Old 04-07-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Sparkling View Post
I know it gets really hot in the summer - my brother mentioned it took him about 2 years to get used to the heat. Any other Seattle area transplants have any comments to provide regarding climate differences and your thoughts? Hate it, love it?

Thanks so much for your feedback!
My dad is from the south. He cannot live here because of the heat/humidity. He lived in Seattle years before I was born and I don’t think he’d move back to TX save his life. But, he lives PT in AZ and loves it there and can stand the dry heat because it’s different than TX heat.

Seems like dry heat vs humidity makes all the difference. I personally moved to TX to be hot, but it’s not hot here year round (temps in the 30s tonight as a matter of fact). So I think I’d prefer AZ weather to TX and definitely prefer over WA weather.

One thing I think hot climate areas have in common is that if you’re inside, it’s almost worse because the A/C is cranked up so you’re freezing. I wear a sweater in the summer in TX (bring one with me) for this reason.

All depends on who you are...it’s not the same for everyone. I could move from WA to AZ and love the difference immediately even though your brother had to get used to it. I was used to WA weather for 33 years and it never did grow on me.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:35 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,645,961 times
Quote:
The OP said the possible job was in the Peoria area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area